276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Burning

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Some of the dialogue is a little weird and unnatural, too. The speech at the end, plus the reactions to it, felt unrealistic. And there are times when Anna is directly describing something through speech and I just can't imagine an actual person sat there spewing those metaphors out loud. Una volta arrivati a Saint Monans, mentre la madre trova subito un ambiente fertile di rapporti e di amicizie nel lavoro, Anna fatica molto a lasciarsi andare e anche quando trova amiche nuove rimane sempre un po’ sulle sue per paura di soffrire un altro tradimento come quello che le hanno fatto le sue amiche del Maine. Per uno strano motivo Anna si trova coinvolta fin troppo e comincia a fare delle ricerche che, in un certo senso, la salvano dalla gogna che sta subendo a scuola.

Laura Bates - Literature - British Council Laura Bates - Literature - British Council

It's worth knowing that sometimes people see you as a symbol of something, instead of a person. And, when they do, it reflects on them, not on you." And then there's the fact that we don't really know much about any of the characters. Anna likes to swim, and was on her swim team at her previous school. Cat, one of Anna's new friends, is really into photography, and wants to be a photography. Alisha is super smart, hard working, and always gets top grades. Robin is a carer for his disabled mum. That's as much as we find out about them. NoAnd does this kind of moving and heartbreaking story really need supernatural elements to attract readers’ attention. Nope! I don’t think so. I received a free ebook version of this from Netgalley! Thankyou to both Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this. My review is still honest. a b Hines, Sophie (5 December 2013). "Laura Bates Wins Ultimate New Feminist 2013" . Retrieved 20 August 2014. The pace of the story was moderate. I find the story of Maggie included in between was quite draggy at first, but although I still find it quite irrelevant to the whole plot, it was an interesting tale and it brought another kind of emotional ride to the story. Lo stile dell’autrice è elegante e incisivo, la lettura scorrevole e senza intoppi, anche nei passaggi tra le due vicende, quella di Anna e quella di Maggie.

Laura Bates | Waterstones Fix the System, Not the Women by Laura Bates | Waterstones

I want to stay here, in the quiet, clean darkness, forever until everybody has forgotten that I even exist. We publish a Literature Newsletter when we have news and features on UK and international literature, plus opportunities for the industry to share. a b "Bates, Laura Carolyn, (born 27 Aug. 1986), Founder, Everyday Sexism Project, 2012". Who's who & who was who. 2014. doi: 10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.U281470. ISBN 978-0-19-954088-4 . Retrieved 28 August 2021.BBC Radio 4: Woman's Hour Power List 2014– Top Ten Revealed: 9. Laura Bates, Campaigner". BBC . Retrieved 28 July 2014. A distrarla dalla sua vecchia vita arriva anche una scoperta fatta per portare a termine un progetto scolastico, e la vita della ragazza si intreccia a quella di Maggie, una donna vissuta nel 1600 accusata di stregoneria. Special thanks to NetGalley and Sourcebooks Fire to share this ARC COPY with me in exchange my honest review. I wish I could love it more. The United Kingdom's international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities.

The Burning Quotes by Laura Bates - Goodreads The Burning Quotes by Laura Bates - Goodreads

Questi argomenti, ammetto, potevano essere trattati meglio e con maggiore approfondimento da parte dell’autrice, che ha dedicato poco tempo ad alcuni aspetti fondamentali della vicenda. Proprio questo mi ha fatto storcere il naso, perché Anna è una vittima recidiva che non denuncia, che lascia che le venga fatto ciò che le viene fatto, subisce e non si ribella. Laura works closely with politicians, schools and universities worldwide, as well as bodies from the United Nations to the Council of Europe to combat gender inequality. She is also Contributor to Women Under Siege, a New York-based organisation working against the use of rape as a tool of war in conflict zones worldwide, and she is Patron of Somerset and Avon Rape and Sexual Abuse Support, part of the Rape Crisis network. Anna and her mother have moved hundreds of miles to put the past behind them. Anna hopes to make a fresh start and escape the harassment she's been subjected to. But then rumors and whispers start, and Anna tries to ignore what is happening by immersing herself in learning about Maggie, a local woman accused of witchcraft in the seventeenth century. A woman who was shamed. Silenced. And whose story has unsettling parallels to Anna's own. Penso a Maggie, alla collana, a sua figlia, a quanto mi sono immedesimata in lei. È come se un frammento di lei ora si trovasse dentro di me, mi sorreggesse, mi aiutasse a raddrizzare la schiena. E sussurro a me stessa: Siamo le nipoti delle streghe che avete bruciato. E non lo tollereremo più.” I think i loved this book so much because the author made the characters and their situations feel so real, my heart really went out to these girls.This powerful young adult novel by the founder of the Everyday Sexism Project is a necessary book every young adult needs. I received this eProof for free from Simon & Schuster Children's Books via NetGalley for the purposes of providing an honest review. This book filled me with dread--and loneliness--and hope. I had to relive my own past, thinking about how rumors had impacted me during junior high and high school, and how different those would have been if social media had existed then.

The class book review: The Burning | Tes Magazine

I wasn't so keen on the ending, either, unfortunately. It's more that I didn't find the reaction to what Anna does quite believable, I just don't think it would have happened like that. Maybe it's end the story on a hopeful note, but I had various question marks over it - would Anna have actually have done that? Would she have said what she said? - and it just felt a little unrealistic? But maybe that's just me. If you have a daughter or a niece or a younger sister or a goddaughter, buy it for them now' -- The PoolAnna was drawn to Robin, a boy in one of her class, but I love how the story didn't center around their love interest or relationship. I'm especially glad that the author didn't turn the story around and make the main character a helpless young lady who needed to be saved by a boy or by love, but instead showed strong female character traits in both Anna and her mum towards the end when handling the situation. The Burning is an important, albeit brutal, book about sexism, double standards, sexual harassment, and online abuse that a lot of young girls go through while at school. I think The Burning is an exceptionally important book for young people at the moment, cyberbullying is a huge problem and I think The Burning does a good job at representing that, while also highlighting how this bullying and harassment is of a sexual nature for a lot of young girls. I loved this book so much! It’s a modern story with a historical twist, where the two girls’ stories set in different centuries run alongside each other. I enjoyed the comparison of Anna to the witch hunt 400 years ago, as it made the story feel more real and balanced. CW: horrific slut shaming, sharing and doctoring of nude images of young teen, death of father from cancer, teen abortion.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment