276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Makita 2012NB/2 Thicknesser, 220 V, 1650 W, 304 mm Blue Large

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Gauges and stops – before investing in any model, make sure you do your homework, just as much as I did and be sure that it has gauges in all the right places that will stop you from biting too much into any piece. Some blades are double-sided and can be turned and used again when one side is blunt. Other types of blades may be resharpenable, saving you money over time. You should also wear a dust mask, safety goggles and ear defenders when using your planer. Never wear loose clothing, such as ties, scarves or jewellery, when using the machine as these can get caught in the rollers.

This lovely Grizzly model is as durable and high-performance as its name suggests. Coming equipped with a deflector shield, this machine is as secure as it is high-quality. Most previous users do like it, mainly as it is made out of steel. Feeding too slowly will reduce the life of your cutters through rubbing and overheating. Blunt cutters will ruin your finish, and you will need to replace them or sharpen them more often. Dust Hood/Extraction Connection On the downside, there were some people stating that they had a problem with the fact that there is no heat sensor and that when working, the Makita does tend to turn really hot. On a better note, it does take about two 2 x 6 pine boards at a time, at least according to a previous buyer that has had apparently planned over 1000 feet of boards at the review time. However, since I know some of you might still be on the fence regarding the Makita, I have gathered some other planers as alternative choices. Some I have used, mainly Dewalt models and I really love the quality and performance, and some were choices, made on what other carpenters I know use. Double-insulated, this machine is also relatively quiet compared to most other models. It has a dust extraction hood for effective dust removal, wrenches and a magnetic holder.

This was great news to me as this user apparently didn’t have any problem with the machine overheating. Great news indeed…as I really wanted to get one now. And while there were some people who apparently has some issues with either the blades, dust collector, feed roller, dust boot outlet, you name it. But as one user put it, you do have to put in a little work into properly maintaining the Makita. Now, this third option is a model from WEN. What stands this wood planer apart is its granite tables, providing quite a sturdy, smooth surface for wood to travel on. The 15Amp motor is also very powerful, generating about 18,800 cuts/ minute at a good feed rate of 26 feet/ minute. Pretty good stats I have to say. This machine has a maximum cutting width of 150 mm, and to help you deal with odd-shaped pieces of wood or even plastics, there’s a detachable fence on the side of the table. This can be angled anywhere between 90° and 135°, depending on the job at hand.

The Makita 2012NB/2 features a high-performance 1.65KW motor with blade speeds up to 8,500 rpm, making it suitable for all types of woodworking projects. This model also has an impressive 8.5 metres per minute feed rate, but bear in mind that this speed is not adjustable, unlike some other models. Thanks to its generous 317mm cutting width, the Triton has one of the widest cutting widths in our selection, making it a good choice if you work with wide timber. The no-load speed of 8,500 rpm and maximum planing depth of 2.8 mm per pass is impressive for a benchtop planer. It means you can get a lot of work done without needing to make too many passes. The 7.5 m per minute feed rate isn’t too bad either.The quality Makita provides in terms of build material is excellent. Even the plastic used in Makita 2012NB has excellent quality.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment