276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Northerners: The bestselling history of the North of England

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Isn’t dinner what you have in the evening, not at lunch? So boring." – Abbie, Newcastle My cousin is from Manchester, do you know her? But, northerners, stop using the whole ‘bath doesn’t have an ‘r’ in it’ excuse when the town of Marske in North Yorkshire DOES have an ‘r’ in it, and yet you still pronounce it the northern way. You’re not wearing a coat? We’re going clubbing though…" – Abbie, Newcastle Why are you so friendly to everyone? Do you know Peter Kay?' Just because I live near Bolton doesn't mean I personally know the guy." – Jess, Manchester Northeners are very down to earth people, they try hard and alway give a good days work. Coming from one of the poorest parts of England does not stop them from being lovely and considerate.

In Northern churches you will hear the hymn, "Come All Ye Faithful". You will also hear expressions such as, "Bugger me, Lord", "God knows", "Jesus wept!" and "God help the poor cow ". What sets the book apart is the scale and geographical focus. Groom does an excellent job of bouncing around topics, and his skills really flourish in later chapters. When diving into a very particular aspect of the north's history, such as migration, leisure or even sheep farming, Groom's broad historical brush strokes pay off dividends. He gets to leap across centuries and pull together different parts of northern history which a narrower focus wouldn't allow. It makes for a fun read and is perfect for anybody wanting a neat overview of the region. It also embraces the scenery of the north, and Groom's accounts of Liverpool, the Pennines, Northumbria and Manchester are all very evocative.

Mistaking ‘busy’ for ‘unfriendly’

English–Arabic English–Bengali English–Catalan English–Czech English–Danish English–Hindi English–Korean English–Malay English–Marathi English–Russian English–Tamil English–Telugu English–Thai English–Turkish English–Ukrainian English–Vietnamese The north is home to some of the best countryside landscapes in the world and has thriving cities such as Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester.

But darling, you have to admit it’s supper we’re having’ (Picture: Kurt Hutton/Picture Post/Getty Images) 2. Not adding carbs to every meal As you are cursing the person driving 15 mph in a 50 mph zone, directly in the middle of the road, remember, many folks learned to drive on a model of vehicle known as a Reliant Robin, and this is the proper speed and lane position for the vehicle. Yep, this is the classic, my friends always ask me why I'm putting gravy on my chips. They also have no idea what scraps are." – Abbie, Newcastle How can you be warm? It's freezing! Great British Mag is a digital magazine that helps students interested in studying in the UK decide whether it is the best place for them and, once they have decided to come to the UK, provide insights that help them every step of the way.

This one always baffles me, but some people from the south ask me what Greggs is?! I don't really understand how anyone from the south can have avoided the cultural icon that is Greggs by this point." – Rachel, Preston Southerners, on the other hand, sometimes refer to people from the North as “northern monkeys,” which means they think northerners are uncultured. A century ago the Skagosi unsuccessfully rebelled against the Starks, costing the lives of Lord Barthogan Stark and hundreds of his supporters. [16] Robert's Rebellion King Robert I Baratheon travels from King's Landing to Winterfell to offer the position of Hand of the King to his old friend, Lord Eddard Stark, which the Warden of the North reluctantly accepts. [70] [71] We have places to be, and we have to fight slow-moving tourists and over-burdened transport networks to get there.

I don't have a huge amount to say about this book, if I'm being totally honest. I think it was a good starter to learning some of the history of Northern England but it was also frustrating for me to read. Winterfell, the ancestral seat of House Stark, is a large castle at the center of the north. Nearby is the winter town. The vast wolfswood, the largest forest of the Seven Kingdoms, extends northwest to the Bay of Ice and Sea Dragon Point. Deepwood Motte, the seat of House Glover, lies in the western wolfswood. House Mormont rules Bear Island in the Bay of Ice. The northern mountains extend from the wolfswood to the Wall and are inhabited by northern mountain clans. [11] Communicate using animal like slang and resort to violence for any possible reason. This is often started by the large swarms of Chavs or Townies hanging under every shop doorway. Favor shops like Tesco and the local corner shops where they are seen illegally buying Cigarettes and cheap Booze. Living costs up north are actually affordable and the standard of living is just as good, if not better. I mostly get stuff like 'you talk funny' and 'why do you miss out words when you speak?"– Naomi, CheshireNot only do northerners have a wide range of (sometimes hard to understand) accents, they also have some of the best slang. As I said, this is not an analytical account, and some of the thornier issues of northern identity are side stepped. There is also a little bit too much polishing over historical events which would make for a more interesting book. Rather than interrogating northern identity, Groom's aim here seems to be to present the identity in the first place. Instead of over analysing historical turns or unknotting historiographies, Groom is telling the story of the north of England. How it began, what happened and why it is what it is today. It's a simple, effective history book which could be read by anyone with an interest. As it should be. This easily-readable history of the north of England is not a coherent narrative. It reads as a collection of independent, semi-linked chapters rather than a free-flowing, interconnected whole. And it is a reminder that the north of England is not an easily defined entity. There is a real difficulty in writing a separate history of the north, because the north is not separate from England. The connections between the north and the south are too deep for this awkward and simplistic division. On the other hand, regional differences are more genuine, something that the book brings to light. I fear that in some sense the book wants to divide, that the author wants to leave us with uncertainty and open wounds rather than conclude with healing or at least aim towards it. On several issues.

People always love to tell me how grim the north is. Sorry, have you seen the lakes?" – Rachel, Preston Bran Stark flees with Hodor, Meera Reed, and Jojen Reed from Winterfell. They travel through the northern mountains and the Gift to the Nightfort. [80] A lot of southerners may not understand the north’s affinity with Greggs, but after trying one of their pasties you might start to. 5. Gravy goes with everythingWe view your over-bearing friendliness towards utter strangers as, at best, nosy, and, at worst, threatening. When I'm told I sound more southern when I return home to visit family and friends, that hurts." – Rachel, Preston As the north is largely uncultivated, there are few roads of import there. Most of the inland trade passes by either the kingsroad or the rivers. Trade items from the north include wool, [49] [33] hides, [33] and timber. [33] White Harbor, the main port town of the north, [50] contains silversmiths [51] and the Old Mint. [33] Food can be shipped from the south through the narrow sea to the northern city. [50] Military strength Northerners and southerners both showed substantial in-group preference, but unlike the Scottish/English situation we also found a marked asymmetry. Northerners show rather positive assessments of their fellow northerners alongside surprisingly negative views of the southerner out-group: more than 80% of northerners said they shared values with fellow northerners but barely more than 30% felt the same way about southerners. There's the seasonal annoyance, every autumn and winter, where people ask if the wind and rain 'remind me of home'. Or, if being further south at uni is 'practically a holiday' for me compared to the barren wasteland a huge 70 miles north where I come from." – John, Sunderland

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment