276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Medal for Leroy

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

When he’s 13, things change. Auntie Snowdrop dies and Auntie Pish falls ill. Michael and Christine take in Jasper – to Michael’s delight. Then a parcel arrives containing Auntie Snowdrop’s photo of his father and, hidden behind the frame, a writing pad. In it, Auntie Snowdrop tells the real story of both his father and his grandfather, Leroy, a World War I hero. David Wood, chair of Action for Children’s Arts, said Morpurgo is “one of our greatest storytellers”. In November 2016 Michael Morpurgo won the J M Barrie Award for his contribution to children’s literature.This award is given every year by Action for Children’s Arts to a “children’s arts practitioner” whose lifetime’s work has delighted children and will stand the test of time.

A Medal for Leroy Teaching Resources - Michael Morpurgo A Medal for Leroy Teaching Resources - Michael Morpurgo

Ocr ABBYY FineReader 11.0 (Extended OCR) Ocr_converted abbyy-to-hocr 1.1.11 Ocr_module_version 0.0.14 Openlibrary_edition Although sometimes he feels different from his friends and wishes he had a Dad, Michael can not feel sad about losing him. You can't blame him though, he never even met his father, to Michael he is just a picture. Although he does not miss him, he loves his medal that his father won for courage in the war. Auntie Snowdrop keeps it with her and polishes it regularly, very different from how Auntie Pish would treat it. That's just about all I knew, all she would tell me, anyway. No matter how much I asked, and I did, and more often as I grew up, she would say little more about him. I know now how painful it must have been for her to talk of him, but at the time I remember feeling very upset, angry almost toward her. He was my father, after all, wasn't he? It felt to me as if she was keeping him all for herself. Occasionally after a soccer match, or when I'd run down to the corner shop on an errand for old Ma Merritt who lived next door to us, Maman might say something like: "Your papa would have been so proud of you. I so wish he'd known you." But never anything more, nothing about him, nothing that helped me to imagine what sort of a man he might have been. As Michael Morpurgo explains in an article in The Telegraph, it was his friend and illustrator, Michael Foreman, who helped to sow the seeds for Medal For Leroy. Hello Yellow - 80 Books to Help Children Nurture Good Mental Health and Support With Anxiety and Wellbeing -And I think it's true that many of us certainly me, are fascinated to discover more about the lives of our parents and grandparents and even out great-grandparents, because like it or not, they make us who we are"

A Medal for Leroy – HarperCollins Publishers UK

As Michael read her words, he discovered who his grandfather, his father, and his Auntie really were and how they were connected to each other. And what this all means to him. It was all a family secret that was never even shared with his mother. His grandfather had served in World War I, and had died saving the lives of other men on the battlefield, but even though he should have gotten a posthumous medal for his bravery, he was never awarded one. All Maman had told me was that my father was called Roy, that he had been in the RAF, a Spitfire pilot, a flight lieutenant, and that he had been shot down over the English Channel in the summer of 1940. They had only been married for six months—six months, two weeks, and one day—she was always very precise about it when I asked about Papa. He'd been adopted as a baby by his twin aunties, after their sister, his mother, had been killed in a zeppelin raid on London. So he'd grown up with his aunties by the sea in Folkestone in Kent, and gone to school there. He was twenty-one when he died, she said. Secrets in families are often but they're so much better to hear face to face. Auntie Pish and Auntie Snowdrop really were hard as nails and so it seems was Maman, I loved that Leroy made Martha so happy and that in such a grey world they managed to find a little bit of happiness that went on for Martha for almost 20 years.As Michael reads through his Auntie Snowdrop's words, he discovers a deep secret: he is not who he thinks he is. Michael, the main character doesn't like visiting his Aunts Pish and Snowdrop. Auntie Pish is a bit too severe and Auntie Snowdrop follows Pish in every way. After Aunt Snowdrop dies, Michael gets a parcel which reveals a story. It turned out that his family wasn't how it seemed (I don't want to give away too much). This new knowledge changes Michael's life forever. The best part is that this is based on a true story about a WW1 soldier, Walter Tull. The idea that a soldier would not be awarded a medal of honor in combat because of his color is an interesting topic. The book is in no way exciting, but it is very touching. Its goal is to teach us a lesson about how all people deserve respect no matter what.

A Medal for Leroy | Book reviews | RGfE - Reading Groups A Medal for Leroy | Book reviews | RGfE - Reading Groups

As such, historical inspiration and personal experience combine to produce this masterful account of love, loss and exorcising the family ghost.Michael Morpurgo award winning British children's writer and author of War Horse and. Private Peaceful I read this book for pure nostalgia as this was one of my son's favourite writers as a child. I have so many fond memories of browsing bookshop shelves with my son for the latest Morpurgo novels to take home and read together. A writer that brings history and people to life and who ensures the past will not be forgotten by the younger generation. A writer that doesn't sugar coat the facts when it comes to war and its injustices for his young audiences and yet manages to reveal just enough information appropriate for the age group he is writing for.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment