276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Baddies: a wickedly funny picture book from the creators of The Gruffalo

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This prompted me to unearth some plays I’d written for a school reading group, and since then I’ve had 20 plays published. I was intrigued to see that the Ghost was very much drawn in the style of Jacob Marley from Dickens' 'A Christmas Carol'. One of my television songs, A SQUASH AND A SQUEEZE, was made into a book in 1993, with illustrations by the wonderful Axel Scheffler. Captivating, full of opportunities for giggles and even a story for the bigger children… (yes adults that’s you! Each individual attempt was met with a surprise act from their neighbor, and the results was complete failure by the baddies.

The Baddies By Julia Donaldson |The Works The Baddies By Julia Donaldson |The Works

Your child will giggle their way through this comic tale of three very bad, silly, and completely hopeless storybook characters who dare each other to steal a hanky-chief from a young girl walking through their woods. I used to memorise poems as a child and it means a lot to me when parents tell me their child can recite one of my books. The brand-new picture book from superstar author and illustrator Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler is a riot of slapstick fun and silliness. But the little girl quickly shows them that you don’t have to be big to be brave, and baddies don’t always win.Of course, the little mouse saves the day and rids the woods of our pesky villains, and we all sleep more soundly at night.

The Baddies: the wickedly funny picture book from the creators of The The Baddies: the wickedly funny picture book from the creators of

They are always so much fun to read with the little people in my life and the illustrations are always bright, cheerful and fun. I grew up in a tall Victorian London house with my parents, grandmother, aunt, uncle, younger sister Mary and cat Geoffrey (who was really a prince in disguise. The drawings as ever are full of characterful mischief and children will find much to see in them - a Gruffalo lurking on a page, for example. I was very interested to see a ghost on the cover and throughout who bares resemblance with Marley’s Ghost from Dickens’ famous tale - I think it’s amazing that when the young children come across A Christmas Carol (which the majority in England will due to the GCSE spec) they might recognise the ghost after having The Baddies as a staple household item. With Julia Donaldson’s (author of The Gruffalo) trademark quirky humour and rhyming text and Axel Scheffler’s detailed illustrations, there are lots of fun things to spot as you read and reread the text.I liked this book - the rhymes and rhythms were almost consistent - a few areas where the scansion didn't work for me. I really enjoy getting the children in the audience to help me act out the stories and sing the songs. The baddies devise different ways to scare her but are unsuccessful as she shows them kindness and understanding. It's decent enough, with bright illustrations, some good rhymes and a brown skinned girl on the front (instead of the usual pink), but this is a mid-range effort in the Donaldson/Scheffler canon. We want a song about throwing crumpled-up wrapping paper into the bin” was a typical request from the BBC.

The Baddies by Julia Donaldson, Axel Scheffler | Waterstones The Baddies by Julia Donaldson, Axel Scheffler | Waterstones

Julia and Axel are the team that have created picture book favourites such as The Gruffalo, Stick Man, Zog and Highway Rat - all of which have been made into animated films premiering on BBC1 Christmas Day. My novel THE GIANTS AND THE JONESES is going to be made into a film by the same team who made the Harry Potter movies, and I have written three books of stories about the anarchic PRINCESS MIRROR-BELLE who appears from the mirror and disrupts the life of an otherwise ordinary eight-year-old. We work separately - he’s in London and I’m in Glasgow - but he sends me letters with lovely funny pictures on the envelopes. My only question is why are the endpapers purple with white polka dots, when the handkerchief that was the main element in the story was blue with white polka dots?

The witch, troll, and ghost are more silly than scary, making this an ideal Halloween read-aloud for the early elementary grades. With stunning illustrations from Axel Axel Scheffler and intricate details on every page, this is sure to be another treat for little readers to enjoy. Published just in time for Halloween, I had great hopes for this story featuring a ghost and a witch (and a troll). I’d already created a number of villains – among them the Highway Rat and Wizard Lizard, but never more than one in each book. When a little girl moves into a nearby cottage, the Baddies can’t wait to scare her out of her wits.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment