276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Watching Neighbours Twice a Day...: How ’90s TV (Almost) Prepared Me For Life

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It reminded me of times at university watching Gladiators and Blind Date before heading to the bar on a Saturday night, and the double editions of Neighbours. All in all, this book isn’t going to set the world on fire but it is a gentle nostalgia trip I’d recommend to around 4 people I know.

Even though I appreciated the throwback to the communal experience of pre-internet television, the actual content of the pop-culture didn’t have that ring of recognition for me. So funny listening to Rose and Lou's take on parenting and I would 100% listen to them doing a podcast in their own right - move over you sexy, relatable beasts. We had chapters from Rob and Josh in a conversational style, from their wives Lou and Rose, their parents and even their producer Michael! Having entered the stand-up circuit in 2008, Josh’s rapid rise has seen him star in 26 series of the multi award-winning Channel 4 series The Last Leg, as well as co-hosting Dave’s Broadcast Award nominated Hypothetical, and now 2023 marks the release of brand-new Sky Max series Hold the Front Page with co-star Nish Kumar. Blijkt dat de herkenbaarheid, de humor, relativeren en lachen met je vroegere zelf omdat we ook “die ouders” geweest zijn een perfecte manier is om zomervakantiedagen af te sluiten.During the 2020 COVID-19 lockdown, Widdicombe started the Parenting Hell podcast with fellow comedian Rob Beckett. One lovely routine on the opening hours of his local park makes not just hay but whole haystacks with the idea of “dusk”, while wielding the word itself, over and over, like the most ticklish of comic instruments. On Sunday, I was in my car, stuck at this red light for five minutes, and people were honking at me to jump the light. TV seemed more innocent, not the stream of rubbish like Love Island, Made in Chelsea, Married at First Sight, I'm A Celebrity that dominates our screens now. I’ve laughed so much but also cried when Listening to josh talk about their miscarriage, I read a lot and all sorts of books, i’ve rarely done audible but I would recommend this as audio it’s a joy to listen to.

Did I grow up in one of the best eras - pre internet but just at the tipping point of technology - fabulous. Focusing on the madness, absurdity and utter chaos of being a parent, the Parenting Hell book was published in October 2022 in hardback, ebook and audiobook, and features some special guests. From only having four people in his year at school, to living in a family home where they didn't just not bother to lock the front door, they didn't even have a key.Theirs – Lockdown Parenting Hell – has become one of the most popular in the country, mining the stresses of everything from twins, tantrums and building a trampoline to the tune of more than 15m downloads. Beckett has two daughters with wife Louise, aged six and four, while Widdicombe (39) has four-year-old Pearl and one-year-old Cassius with his wife, Rose. But, unfortunately, “Watching Neighbours twice a day” is a pointless, vacuous exercise in lame nostalgia that has nothing original to say about its chosen subject of 1990s British Television.

His gaze never elevates above the everyday, as driving tests, Deliveroo and – now he’s a dad – baby monitors are given the observational comedy treatment.

The book Parenting Hell sees Rob and I share the challenges and madness of our parenting journeys with lashings of empathy and extra helpings of laughs. The couple lived for a considerable amount of time in Shoreditch, East London before moving to a "sleepier" area of East London to raise their children. If you want to laugh at parenting and other people experiences, and at yourself give this book a chance. I had listened to a few of the podcasts before jumping into this book, and it really is a continuation of the conversation.

He was also a main contributor to Channel 4's daily alternative review of each day's events at the London 2012 Summer Paralympics, The Last Leg with Adam Hills, alongside Adam and Alex Brooker. He claims descent from Sabine Baring-Gould, [53] [54] which was confirmed by an episode of the genealogical television series Who Do You Think You Are? The format is different to any other comedy autobiography and it allowed me a high level of nostalgia and reminiscence.Josh Widdicombe was born in the same year as me and I can completely relate to watching all of the TV programmes that he discusses as being key parts of his childhood, ranging from Gladiators to Noel’s House Party, to X Files and finally ending with the first season of Big Brother. It’s really lovely to have a book like this aimed at my specific age bracket as I’m not a traditional 80s, 90s or 00s kid/teenager (having been born mid-decade in 1985) but somewhere in between. It probably is quite amusing for a 20-something gal who wants to be childless forever to be so entertained and attached to a podcast (and subsequent book) about parenting. People often wonder if the 38-year-old funnyman is related to politician, author and TV personality Ann Widdecombe. He began performing live in 2008 and made it to the final of So You Think You’re Funny at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe that year.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment