276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Devotions

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

and entwine the outer world with our inner worlds, where our place among “the family of things” is ascertained only through the intersection of the physical and cerebral realms. I began my time with these poems while in the high hills, in a sunny meadow brimming with daisies and birdsong and surrounded by deodars stretching out to meet the sky—so you see how I felt these verses, completely entangled in the way in which Mary Oliver wrote, her unsophisticated but ecstatic dispensing of hope like a clear and sweet stream set never to run out. As she contemplated her role as a poet, she took inspiration from the ease with which nature eloquently declared its charms. Vincent Millay estate she would meet Molly Malone Cook, who would become her life-long partner as well as agent until Molly passed in 2005.

Devotions: The Selected Poems of Mary Oliver - Google Play

She attended Ohio State University and Vassar College without finishing a degree, but once her first collection of poetry came out her career as a poet was well under way and she would later teach while working as a poet-in residence at several colleges before finishing her career as Chair for Distinguished Teaching at Bennington College.

In an extraction of eleven poems from her collection of new poems from 2005, Oliver bade us pay attention to the natural world in every season. It is easy to see why one might perchance envy a dog’s life – ‘breaking the new snow with wild feet’ and ‘not thinking, not weighing anything, just running forward. For inquiries, regarding publishing, foreign rights, and media representation, please contact Charlotte Sheedy.

Devotions: The Selected Poems of Mary Oliver - AbeBooks Devotions: The Selected Poems of Mary Oliver - AbeBooks

The poems contained her thoughts on two subjects: nature (the heron, the fish, the gray fox, the meadowlark, the panther, the pond, etc.Please, Ms Oliver, could you not have let us try to "pay attention" and figure out what you were referencing? This past week as the weight of work bore down on me, I sought refuge in her verse, and read a couple each evening. Four poems express the thankfulness one feels towards a beloved (a ‘gift’) and the pangs of impending or actual loss. Featured, too, in Red Birds (2008) are Oliver’s thoughts about mortality, this life, amassing things, and chasing our ambitions.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment