276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Sigma 300mm f2.8 APO EX DG HSM For Canon Digital & Flim SLR Cameras

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Let’s talk about the weight issue now. At 3.39 kilos, this is not a light lens. And it is expected, given its fast aperture of f/2.8. The Nikon 400mm f/2.8G VR is also a monster of a lens for that very reason. However, this is no 400mm and the lens barrel is nowhere as long in comparison. So the central issue with the weight is the fact that the lens is too heavy for its compact size. I have shot with the 500mm f/4G VR quite a bit (which in my opinion is the best hand-holdable Nikkor super-telephoto) and while it is a slightly heavier lens (by about 500 grams), it is much easier to hand-hold.

300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Sports - SIGMA Corporation 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Sports - SIGMA Corporation

Overall the images quality of this lens was delightful, way better than I expected. Bokeh and Depth of Field f2.8 Unlike Nikon and Canon Sony doesn't have previous iterations of super teles to draw on. They inherited the license to produce the A-mount 300/2.8, but they didn't design it and IIRC the A-mount 500/4 was also designed by Minolta, prior to it's dissolution. The Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM S ships with a good quality soft case and a massive metal circular lens hood (LH1220-01). It accepts 105mm filters. Focal Range This is wide open. But these type of high contrast situations are pretty much the only time you'll see it. And lets not forget to mention it is the OOF area showing it; few are the lenses of this focal length that don't exhibit color aberrations in the OOF area. So to me, it's acceptable. The bokeh of this the Sigma 300mm f2.8 D is simply amazing. As a telephoto lens, this lens was excellent when it came to bokeh. It is beyond smooth mostly. It has to be some of my favorite bokeh, ever. f8No detailed information has been shared about the forthcoming lens. All we know, based on the name alone, is it will feature a 300mm focal length, a maximum F2.8 aperture and Sony’s OSS optical image stabilization. It will also be one of Sony’s top-shelf G Master lenses. What does that mean? We’ll leave it to Yasuyuki Nagata, head of Sony’s global interchangeable lens business, who shared the following quote with us in a 2019 interview regarding the company’s G Master telephoto lenses: As a less-costly alternative to the camera manufacturer's telephoto lenses, Sigma, a manufacturer best known for its line of consumer camera lenses, offers three "big glass" telephoto and super-telephoto lenses in its professional grade "EX" series. After spending a few days in the field with their 300/2.8 HSM EX lens and an opportunity to closely examine it, I offer the following commentary and subjective review.

Lens reviews update: the Sigma 120-300mm F2.8, and Nikon Lens reviews update: the Sigma 120-300mm F2.8, and Nikon

What do you suppose is one of the most the unappreciated parts of photography world? To me its third party lenses. Sigma, one of the best in the group, has been doing a lot of work to prove third party lenses are comparable, if not better then lenses from Nikon and Canon. Sigma has made a heavy lens remarkable. This lens is for the photographer that can’t get to their subject, but still need their frame to be filled. With the full-time manual focus override, I found I was inadvertently shifting focus with my palm and fighting against my attempts to autofocus. This happened mostly when operating the zoom ring, because my hand would rotate in relation to the lens barrel which resulted in rotation of the focus ring. This is a case of the weight of the lens working against you indirectly. Because there is a lot of mass to support (more on this below), it feels like you really need to use your whole hand for support rather than just half your hand or perhaps just your fingers. On a positive note, the focus ring is very smooth to rotate and the zoom ring felt a little stiff at first, but got better overtime. Just like on Nikkor lenses, once you reach close or far limits, the focus ring will continue to rotate. The zoom ring, on the other hand, has a hard stop at both 120mm and 300mm, which is consistent with what you see on the Nikon 200-400mm f/4G VR. Sigma uses its HSM technology for autofocus on its Sigma-, Nikon- and Canon-mount versions of this lens; Pentax and Sony users are limited to mechanical focusing strategies. A full focus movement (infinity - close-focus - infinity) took about 1.5 seconds, though the lens is quite ''snappy'' when focusing between short distances. The HSM-variants of this lens allow the focus to be adjusted at any time by just turning the focus ring; as well, the lens is near-silent during focus operations. Also being a little vain wanted to look the part when turning up to sport events, so needed a big looking lens :) Another issue is that the mass of the lens shifts when zooming. Every time I mount a lens on my Gimbal head I balance it by adjusting the fore/aft position of the lens foot in the clamp. This means that when my hands are off the lens and camera, it is self-centering (if the tilt adjustment knob is loose). What I noticed with the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8, is that if I centered the lens when zoomed to 300 and then zoomed out to 120, the balance shifted to the front of the lens causing it to pitch downward.

Separately Sold Accessories

Similar to AF performance, lens sharpness, contrast and color rendition will depend on the lens the teleconverter is coupled with. When I used the teleconverter on the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 Sport, contrast decreased a little, similar to what you would see with the TC-20E III. Sharpness was certainly impacted, especially at the widest aperture of f/5.6. Stopping down to f/8 improves things a bit, as illustrated in MTF charts below. Does suffer from CAs & purple fringing. You can see it in the sun's reflection in the eye of the Dik-Dik below at the very end (last image)... and some bird shots into a gray cloudy sky shows it in the tree branches.

Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM APO - Digital Cameras, Digital

The new 300mm F2.8 G Master OSS lens will take inspiration from the Sony’s other G Master telephotos, such as its 600mm F4 G Master OSS and 400mm F2.8 G Master OSS, both of which we’ve found to be incredibly fast and sharp, as is to be expected from Sony’s high-end G Master lineup. Once you update the frmware to the latest version, it becomes incompatible with this. For further information, please refer to here. Other wide open shots are quite good. Just how good can it get? Have a look here: http://public.fotki.com/m8o/outdoor_adventures/tanzania-2007/070812--tarangire-1/imgp4580.htmlIs a 300/2.8 lens (regardless of the manufacturer) a viable nature photography lens? Again, this is something only the individual photographer can determine. While the 300mm focal length may be just barely adequate in many cases, the f/2.8 aperture is a godsend in low light. With the addition of their matched 1.4X and 2X teleconverters, the Sigma 300/2.8 HSM EX also serves as a 420/4 and 600/5.6 autofocus lens, capable of delivering excellent results. For other than the song bird photographer, this may be all that is ever needed. Press release: Sony Electronics Announces Development of New 300mm F2.8 G Master OSS Telephoto Full-Frame E-mount Lens, Targeting to Launch in Early 2024 Some CA/color fringing at and near wide open but only at very high contrast edges. No focus limiter is trying at times. Sometimes just wouldn't autofocus with the subject right in-front of you ( yes, subject further then minimum focus)

Sigma EX APO DG 300mm F2.8 - Pentax Forums

The scale on the left side is an indication of actual image resolution. The taller the column, the better the lens performance. Simple. With great focal length comes great responsibility. Any 300mm lens like the Sigma 300mm f2.8 EX deserves a little respect in its use. I was having a conversation with a friend and they brought up all the possible creepiness and well as the possibility for really cool shots. It’s all up to the ethics of the photographer. Closest focus varies depending on the zoom setting between 150cm and 250cm. This may pose issues if recomposing using the zoom near the close focus stop. Focusing is internal and 105mm filters can be fitted, although the additional cost of filters this size may put many off investing in them.

The 120-300mm f2.8 benefits from the latest Nikon optical technology as the results clearly demonstrate. But it clearly belongs to the E FL generation of lenses in terms of build (still pretty light all things considered). Meaning that it does not benefit from the next generation build enhancements seen in the breakthrough Z mount 400mm f2.8 TC and 600mm f4 TC. All companies develop some technologies and deploy them in products when they are ready. While the wide-open performance of the Sigma seems to be worse, the Sigma 2x actually performs better than the TC-20E III when stopped down in the center. Mid-frame and corners are weaker, but the center resolution is higher! Summary As for weather sealing, it is also nice that Sigma is finally including a rubber gasket at the lens mount to prevent dust from entering the camera body and the lens. The gasket is pretty short though, so I hope Sigma will make it a tad longer in the future, similar to what Nikon does to make it more useful. The lens barrel itself is nicely made and will take on some beating and weather abuse. I am not sure if it will withstand a lot of rain, but I have used it in light rain without any problems. I believe this is one of the first Sigma lenses to get weather sealing (along with the new 12-24mm and 150mm f/2.8 macro lenses). Pentax 300mm ƒ/2.8 ED IF SMC P-FA - but this lens has been discontinued. Instead they offer a ƒ/4 version, which is smaller and less expensive. The lens uses Pentax's SDM autofocus technology.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment