276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Vivienne Westwood

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

An Unfashionable Life is fascinating for how it charts a woman who influenced latter 20th century fashion so deeply. Vivienne’s use of sloganned tee-shirts – a design concept which deserves partial accreditation to Malcolm McLaren – ranging from the provocative “naked cowboys shirt” to text based styles, such as, “The best accessory is a book” – reflect Vivienne and her followers’ reactions to mainstream fashion. When 80s power dressing meant androgynous pantsuits, Vivienne reintroduced the corset and celebrated the shape of a woman. Venus with severed leg a portrait of Vivienne Westwood in 1975 by William English. Private view invitation for the show at the Aquarium Gallery, Monday18th October, 6.30-9.00pm.

VIVIENNE WESTWOOD von Gene Krell, Reihe Magier der Mode. Schirmer/Mosel München Paris London, 1. Auflage 1997, ERSTAUSGABE, 802 SS. gebunden (Hardcover gr. 8°), mit vielen Farbfotos, mit Schutzumschlag, gut erhalten - von Vivienne Westwood eigenhändig signiert mit persönlicher Widmung, gemaltem Herzchen To Anne. Tapa Blanda. Condition: Bien. 3 (illustrator). IMAGENES: En caso que no exista imagen de tapa. no dude en solicitarla. Ejemplar Usado, puede (o no) contener signos de uso como firma, anotaciones o subrayados, consultenos para mayor informacion del estado.Stunning production qualities alone make this book very collectable. And then there are the personal colour photographs, fashion, celebrities, musings and reflections; the passion that is Vivienne Westwood. Some person said, Westwood’s book is an imperfect rant. And that’s OK. The biographer, Ian Kelly accused of plagiarism and recently, media pulled an out of context comment made by Westwood at Parliament, armed with a 60 million signed, anti-GMO petition. The message in a Derbyshire accent, encouraged the impoverished to eat less. She meant well. And on point wanting plenty production local, organic food to drive market prices down. Eat less, a comment encouraging those choosing harmful food to reconsider, forcing poison to disappear – eat less kale if you can afford it would’ve won the public over. Hysterics should’ve directed at those responsible for supplying the community dirt. But you can’t best intentions even a tireless campaigner’s heart will never revolution despair and hate.

A great read, very well researched, and informative book. I learnt a lot about Westwood and her method of working, and about the history of modern fashion. Westwood sampled short-term poverty in the beginning of artistic ambition supported by family in fact, throughout her career she came up against financial loss, a lot to do with her baffling partnership. While this shaped her experience, I know she’s not silly to ignore widening inequality on her doorstep, she’s not. The quotidian survivalist having very little, and making do with Foodbanks, let alone a superficial likeness to wear island rape clothes. But I’m deliberate in that I’m so pleased the voiceless, the raped poor offer dramatic license allowing those living comfort to mimic those beaten by sexual violence. So, to the book: in a novel idea, author Ian Kelly (no, me neither) has framed this as a series of conversations or interviews with the grande dame and this is probably his undoing. Though nowhere near as bad as Private Eye's review makes out, it does go on a bit and gives just the authorised view: of punk, of Malcolm, of the British establishment. Though that view is rarely consistent over more than three or four chapters not all of which can be put down to changing views with ageing. For highlights from the latest issue, our archive and the blog, as well as news, events and exclusive promotions.

The later section on how her interest in climate change & human rights came about and how that has been intrinsically incorporated into her work is far more interesting. You get a sense of her radicalism in her voicing of the link between the destruction of the planet & capitalism. The snake consuming itself. Simplistic but the underlying truth. Although my head starts hurting a bit when I start dwelling on how much someone can really be a critic of a system they are dependent on. Toward the end where the main focus was on her activism, I love how Westwood said that everything costs less than it’s supposed to because the Earth is carrying that subsidy for us. (And yet it is also true that the current world economy does not allow us all to have the luxury of only purchasing sustainable items.) This is such an amazing book about the ongoing legend of Vivienne Westwood, who played an indispensable role in the formation of punk. The book opens with Kelly at a fashion event with Westwood, and as readers, it felt like we were also there, following Westwood around as she chats about her life. When I left my abusive family punk clothes and Lolita fashion especially started to give me confidence and helped me find a voice, and to find out that all of that was started by Vivienne- it just gave me this very satisfied feeling on coming full circle. To conclude, if you’re even remotely interested in history, culture, fashion, art, music, or just in generally being bad-ass at whatever it is that you do, you need to read this book! And put me out of my misery so I don’t have to write another word about it!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment