276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Affinity

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

She scissored the curls away, and - toms, grow easily sentimental over their haircuts, but I remember this sensation very vividly - it was not like she was cutting hair, it was as if I had a pair of wings beneath my shoulder-blades, that the flesh had all grown over, and she was slicing free...” Like her first novel, Affinity contains overarching lesbian themes, and was acclaimed by critics on its publication. Waters, S. (1995). " "The Most Famous Fairy in History": Antinous and Homosexual Fantasy". Journal of the History of Sexuality. 6 (2): 194–230. JSTOR 3704122.

Waters however goes the full Gothic both indulging the reader in what might be a supernatural mystery and providing ultimately rational explanations for the strangeness, the explanations stretched my credulity more than the idea of believing in the spirit world, but I believe that is part of the gothic convention too anyhow in for a penny, in for a pound, and the same sex love element puts me in mind of Horace Walpole who is the starting point for the British gothic novel iirc .

Need Help?

Set in the mid-1870s, Affinity is the story of lonely Margaret Prior. Nearing thirty, unmarried, and recovering from a series of difficult and upsetting events including the death of her beloved father, she takes up the duties of a 'lady visitor' at London's Millbank prison. Assigned to visit, speak with and offer companionship to the female prisoners, she finds herself developing a particular affection for one inmate - Selina Dawes, an alleged medium imprisoned for fraud and assault. At first, Margaret's visits are focused on exploring the unfamiliar environment of the prison and meeting the women incarcerated there, as a distraction from her dull and unhappy home life. However, as her friendship with Selina blossoms and she begins to feel increasingly alienated elsewhere, Millbank becomes the centre of Margaret's world, a growing obsession. Her diary makes up the majority of the narrative, intercut with extracts from Selina's earlier journal recounting the events that led to her imprisonment.

The novel is less light-hearted than the ones that preceded and followed it. Waters found it less enjoyable to write. [17] "It was a very gloomy world to have to go into every day", she said. [19] Affinity is a 2008 UK film adaptation of Sarah Waters' 1999 novel of the same name; [1] directed by Tim Fywell and written by Andrew Davies. [2] [3] It stars Zoë Tapper, Anna Madeley, Domini Blythe, Amanda Plummer, and Mary Jo Randle. The film was nominated for the GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding TV Movie or Limited Series. [4] Premise [ edit ] Need another excuse to treat yourself to new book this week? We've got you covered with the buzziest new releases of the day.

Become a Member

La historia está escrita en forma de diario a dos voces, las de Margaret Prior y Selina Dawes, lo que dota a la novela de un mayor intimismo. Margaret vive bajo el asfixiante techo de su madre, viendo como sus hermanos avanzan en sus vidas, casándose y formado su propio hogar, y ve como la soltería se está convirtiendo en su única opción. El fallecimiento de su padre, al que tenía un apego especial y con el que compartía las mismas aficiones intelectuales, así como la traición amorosa de una amiga, son hechos que siguen atormentándola. De tal modo, Margaret decide convertirse en visitadora, haciendo compañía a las mujeres de la cárcel de Millbank. Será en este duro ambiente donde Margaret conocerá a la misteriosa Selina, una joven médium.

Waters's second book, Affinity, was published a year after her first, in 1999. The novel, also set in the Victorian era, centres on the world of Victorian Spiritualism. While finishing her debut novel, Waters had been working on an academic paper on spiritualism. She combined her interests in spiritualism, prisons, and the Victorian era in Affinity, which tells the story of the relationship between an upper-middle-class woman and an imprisoned spiritualist. I honestly do not typically care for the paranormal stories, but under the guidance of Waters, a pretty great read. With the unexpected ending, I admit I did not like it, but then again, I guess it was good, in that way only great writers can have me appreciating an otherwise unacceptable 180. In my opinion, the author better have a damn good reason as well as some damn good transitioning with foreshadowing for these endings. Set in the early 1870s in London, Margaret Prior, recovering from a suicide attempt after the death of her father, starts visiting the female prisoners in Milbank prison and becomes obsessed with one, Selina Dawes. Selina is a young spirit medium given a four year sentence after a seance went wrong, leaving her patron, Mrs Brink, dead. Waters is no stranger to film adaptations of her work: last year there was the lavishly erotic The Handmaiden, which transported her 2002 novel Fingersmith to 1930s Korea. There was a respectful 2011 BBC version of her fourth novel The Night Watch, and of course Andrew Davies’s “absolutely filthy” 2002 adaptation of her first novel, Tipping the Velvet, which made lesbian sex as much a feature of TV period drama as the Austen ball. “It got my mother using the word dildo, which I think has to be a bit of a victory,” Waters joked at the time. She had a cameo appearance in the series, as she did in the TV adaptation of Fingersmith. “I got to dress up really properly, with the undergarments and everything. It was such a lark.” She doesn’t appear in The Little Stranger, but she was included “at every step” and was very excited to go on set: “It felt a bit awesome really, that my book had spawned this little industry.” Oh wow, that was so good! I haven’t read Sarah Waters before and I will definitely be reading more.A friend gave me a copy of The Little Stranger. So that’s the next one I’ll read based on her recommendation. I think it has more of a horror or supernatural element, which wasn’t quite there in Affinity. And when the end comes, it hits hard. I won't spoil anything for you, but I can assure you that if you have come to be affectionate towards any of the characters, it will stay with you. I personally didn't see it coming it all. It all wraps up neatly together, but not in a way you would normally get with this type of novel. We fitted together like the two halves of an oyster-shell. I was Narcissus, embracing the pond in which I was about to drown. However much we had to hide our love, however guarded we had to be about our pleasure, I could not long be miserable about a thing so very sweet. Nor, in my gladness, could I quite believe that anybody would be anything but happy for me if only they knew.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment