276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Your Baby Week By Week: The ultimate guide to caring for your new baby – FULLY UPDATED JUNE 2018

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Effectiveness is more important than efficiency; doing a few things effectively is better than doing many things efficiently. Reading the first third of this book was one of the most self-indulgent activities I’ve ever done. (And yes, I read fiction.) It was so nice to hear that someone else in the world doesn't understand why we spend so much time on meaningless meetings and other time-fillers when there are so many meaningful things we long to do. The best pregnancy books are based on the latest medical guidelines and scientific research. They provide thorough information on all aspects of pregnancy, from conception through delivery and caring for a newborn. They should also be easy to read and written in an understandable way, as well as supplement and support your relationship with your healthcare provider. So I decided to give it a shot and ate it up in a weekend. A fun and easy read. The premise is basically this: so many of us "follow the rules" and strive to tolerate the best job we can get for 40 years, holding off for retirement. Tim Ferriss, the 30-year-old author of this book, posits an entirely different worldview and a straightforward plan for achieving living it - set up automatic profit centers, and take "mini retirements" throughout your life (which he does, and explains in fun and interesting detail. He's studied tango in Argentina, martial arts in Berlin. Cool reading).

Ask for Forgiveness, Not Permission…: If it isn’t going to devastate those around you…Most people are fast to stop you before you get started but hesitant to get in the way if you’re moving.” p. 33 Overall, I appreciate the idea he brings up in the fact that people waste their days with nonsense (this may come from the fact that I worked in the government for years). As a computer guy, I also appreciate the fact that many people don't fully harness the power of auto-replies, faqs, macros, scripts, batching, etc. to eliminate a good 80% of their work in an office environment. That being the case, the idea of doing all of this doesn't work everywhere (only certain office/sales jobs I suspect), and no boss I've had has ever really appreciated the work I went through to be more efficient either. Even when my work propagated to others and our unit had plenty of free time, all that happened was more filler was added to our workload to make us look busy, or our staff was assigned elsewhere to places not as efficient. So, I'd recommend following the advise he offers for being more efficient and less plugged in, but not necessarily making it known you're doing so unless you're forced into a corner. Another highlight of this book is a reprint of a hilarious article from Esquire about outsourcing personal chores to India. It's too bad that the rest of the book couldn't take on the same humorous and likable tone while making its sometimes valid points. Recommended by so many people, complete lifesaver for us in those early newborn stages. Have to take it all with a pinch of salt and recognise they are presenting averages, broad suggestions. We had to read 3 weeks ahead for a long time because she was fast, but that’s an individual factor and not something I’d trash the book for. It felt a little lazy and ���same same’ towards the latter months; perhaps more information of developmental play and ideas if there’s not much more to say on sleep and milk! But overall just loads of helpful and gradually released/digestable info, especially as first time parents. Emphasize Strengths, Don’t Fix Weaknesses…: It is far more lucrative and fun to leverage your strengths…The choice is between multiplication of results using strengths or incremental improvement fixing weaknesses that will, at best, become mediocre.” p. 34In the last few years, I've sold all my possessions; lived in three different countries and traveled through a half dozen others; took a year off as a "mini retirement"; started my own company; worked completely remotely; and wrote two books. In short, I've done most of the stuff Ferriss recommends in this book, long before I actually read this book. I bring this up because I feel like I am uniquely qualified to make the following statement: Tim Ferriss' book does a great job of showing you the *value* of this sort of lifestyle, but it VASTLY understates the *costs*. The book contains a huge collection of valuable resources and links for traveling, saving money, working remotely, testing business ideas, and much more. I had heard of many of the tools, but still found quite a few new ones, such as the virtual assistant services and expert services that journalists reach out to for quotes/opinions (e.g. ProfNet). You can find the list here: http://tim.blog/4-hour-workweek-tools He recommends against reading too much, suggesting you should read "just in time" rather than "just in case"; if everyone did that, we'd be even more ignorant. What Ferriss forgets is that you don't know what you don't know. If you don't know a piece of information exists, you won't know to seek it out "just in time." That's why reading broadly and gaining exposure to new ways of thinking is *essential* to success and not something to be avoided. Yet again he contradicts himself, as his own book is full of quotes from a number of other books of all sorts of disciplines, and on top of that, he has a recommended reading list at the end.

Timothy Ferriss explains how he freed himself from the rat race and slashed his working hours by delegating, outsourcing, and automating his businesses. He spends his new free time living on his terms, which for him means traveling the world. He wants you to do the same, and provides the motivation and action steps to do so. The basic message of this book: take shortcuts. I don't know how else to put it. Timothy Ferris is a douche. There is, in fact, an entire genre of blog literature that explains why Timothy Ferriss is a douche. Even New York Times columnist Frank Bruni got in on the action. How to eliminate 50% of your work in 48 hours using the principles of a forgotten Italian economist? The Timing Is Never Right…: The universe doesn’t conspire against you, but it doesn’t go out of its way to line up all the pins either.”

Artikelen

Retirement should be a worst case scenario. Instead of using the best years of your life to work and save money for old age, where you can't enjoy it, take mini retirements (e.g. 3 - 6 months) on a regular basis. I started doing this a few years ago and it's life changing. Whether you're an expectant twin mom, an LGBTQ+ parent-to-be, or experiencing pregnancy after a loss, there’s a pregnancy book out there to accompany you on your journey. There are also several types of books depending on what you're looking for, from thorough, scientific guides like Expecting Better to options that provide lighthearted relief, like Say No to Placenta Pics. Choose a book that suits you and your taste—you’ll be more likely to read it and absorb the information if you connect with the content. Your Questions, Answered What books should I read when trying to conceive? Becoming pregnant is a beautiful moment in any person's life, but we understand that it can be daunting too. Learn a Language. (I’m sure his Spanish is immaculate, along with his martial arts prowess, bedroom lingo, and tango training.) There is] currently a plethora of pregnancy books on the market,” Dr. Charles says. “I typically recommend books that are supported by evidence-based studies and written by subject matter experts who are credentialed in the field.”

But he does detail how he found his way into a life of his dreams. Readers can take whatever lessons and information from that as they will. Retirement Is Worst-Case Scenario Insurance…: in this case, becoming physically incapable of working and needing a reservoir of capital to survive.” I've spent the last three years traveling among those who live in worlds currently beyond your imagination. Rather than hating reality, I'll show you how to bend it to your will. It's easier than it sounds."He examines the concepts of "busy work" and suggests boiling your workload down to the most important tasks you complete. Then, just do those as fast as possible. Don't allow yourself to be derailed by the internet or chatty coworkers. (Not a friendly method, but Ferriss seems to have his eyes on the prize rather than concerning himself with making friends.)

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment