276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Empire of Gold: 3 (Daevabad Trilogy)

£12.685£25.37Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The Daevabad Trilogy is a finalist for the Best Series Hugo Award this year, so I finally picked up the second and third book to see if they could keep up with the first. Which Nahid should he choose to follow, the one he has sworn allegiance to or the one who holds his corrupted, shuddering heart?

It only works when characters have been hiding stuff from the reader the entire time, not just at the end when it’s convenient. The reserved, aloof and second youngest daughter of the chaebol founder and heiress to the business empire, she and Tae-joo get married, although they both don't love each other.The Daevabad trilogy offers an intelligent take on family, religion, duty, and morality, is informed by an expert’s take on folklore and Middle Eastern history, and takes on fantasy tropes. Becky Chambers’ previous Wayfarers books have been an utter delight, and have consistently made me cry at their emotional highpoints. Also during those 2 hours of nonstop crying, I started a Pinterest board of Daevabad art and more recently an aesthetic for the book and series! Peopled with irresistible characters and steeped in the myths of the Middle East, The City of Brass is a dazzlingly inventive tale, set in a world that feels both familiar and new. I know the books aren’t about *romance* but to feature it semi-heavily in all the books, I was just a tad bummed at how the relationships are handled.

A mob boss who is the antagonist to Jang Tae-joo's start-up business, and becomes a friend of Tae-joo later. A. Chakraborty which is the stunning conclusion to the Daevabad trilogy, which kept me glued to it’s pages the day it came out because I needed to know what was going to happen and how it was all going to end. A series that lives long beyond its final page, I am delighted to discover that Chakaborty is already picking up the pen again. Exploring more of the political ramifications of the war and getting rid of the monarchy for an exchange of a council. Seeing those come to fruition here is the main reason I couldn’t put the book down; it kept drawing me back, forcing me to read “just one more chapter” — and we all know how that turns out.

I definitely thought Ghassan was going to be the Big Bad for the whole series, that Nahri was going to Final Showdown with him. We see hope, but also the inevitability of backsliding and a long lasting culture of mistrust and power playing. Among other awards and nominations which will be added here soon, the Daevabad Trilogy was nominated for a Hugo Award, a 2021 Best Series finalist.

There is a tendency to assume that because something is “merely” genre fiction, it is not capable of providing the same depth and meaning that a more “literary” style of fiction can provide. This means I may earn a commission should you chose to sign up for a program or make a purchase using my link. You know that childish excitement you feel when you’re reading a really good book that you are super invested in? There’s a lot of similarities between them in this respect, they both straddle two distinct worlds (Ali with the Marid and the Djinn, Nahri with her human and Daeva heritage) so it was interesting to see them embracing the sides of their heritage that they’ve not necessarily ignored but been unable to explore fully up till this point. I finished The Empire of Gold, the 3rd and final book, in The Daevabad Trilogy… and I might be broken.From her most vulnerable moments, to the ones where she stood out like a Goddess among men…she’s probably one of my new favorite female characters – like, of all time. In a world where such complications brew the ending is sure to be bittersweet, heartbreaking, and bloody. Especially because I knew there was no reason for them to be sad, so I just wanted to jump into the book and tell them everything was fine.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment