276°
Posted 20 hours ago

33 1/3 Greatest Hits, Volume 1: v. 1

£7.995£15.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

A: Yes. There are two albums by Radiohead, two by the Beach Boys, two by David Bowie, and two by The Rolling Stones in the series already. A big thanks to our external advisors, who were integral in our selection process: Samantha Bennett, Sean Maloney, boice Terrel-Allen, Sarah Piña, and Ryan Pinkard. Global editor highlight: Noriko Manabe". 333Sound. August 31, 2017. Archived from the original on May 22, 2018 . Retrieved November 20, 2017.

Over the years, the scope has widened, albums that would have never made it into the canon, or been considered part of any canon in fact, are now celebrated – and that’s awesome. Amazing, actually.Writing about an album like R.E.M.’s debut can be treacherous. More than 30 years after its release signaled the rise of alternative music, Murmur somehow retains its playful sense of evasion, as though purposefully obscuring its meaning in an attempt to make you listen more closely. Explaining each lyric and riff risks deflating its mystery, yet J. Niimi proceeds with caution. Perhaps his greatest accomplishment is finding the right distance from his subject, so that he can explain how the music works without telling us what it’s about. That is, after all, the whole point: “Murmur is a record that needs to be completed by the listener.” If given another chance to write for the series, which albums would 33 1/3 authors focus on the second time around? This anthology features compact essays from past 33 1/3 authors on albums that consume them, but about which they did not write. It explores often overlooked and underrated albums that may not have inspired their 33 1/3 books, but have played a large part in their own musical cultivation. The most unlikely album made the best 33 1/3: Celine Dion isn’t usually afforded the same respect as a Bob Dylan or a Joni Mitchell, but Carl Wilson uses her populist art and personal history to ask questions about class, taste, and race in an effort to figure out how one of the most popular singers in the world could be loved and hated in equal measure. The answers he finds aren’t always comfortable, but that only makes them more important and crucial to criticism in the 21st century.

I still buy the occasional one. I still read them online or from the library. I haven’t kept up with the series in the way I once did, and it’s unlikely I’ll now cover that lost ground. But I’m still in the race, somewhat. The last one from the main series I read was Sequioa L. Maner’s excellent assessment of Kendric Lamar’s To Pimp A Butterfly (166). The last one I bought (and will soon read) is Steve Tupai Francis’ look at Kraftwerk’s 1981 gem, Computer World (163). I’d like to read the book about George Michael’s Faith (165), Madvillain Madvillainy (171), Wendy Carlos’ Switched-On Bach (141), and, well, there are of course heaps of others. Have you read any of the titles? Will you? What are your thoughts on either the individual titles so far, or what great New Zealand album would you most like to read about? Here you’ll find the full list of albums already covered in the 33 1/3 series, from the very first book published in 2003 to today.

About the contributors

But, I got the feeling, reading the New Zealand versions of the books, that these are less for the fans, and more for academics to prescribe for their courses – get the book on the reading list as a way of generating some meagre royalties. Q: There is already a book in the series by the same artist as the one I’m proposing, will you consider two albums by the same artist?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment