276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Elvis [4K UHD] [Blu-ray] [2022] [Region Free]

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It also is one downright gorgeous film thanks to the costume and production design done by Catherine Martin, who happens to be the wife of the film’s director.

Central to that journey is one of the most significant and influential people in Elvis's life, Priscilla Presley (Olivia DeJonge). Luhrmann has never bowed down to Hollywood executives to compromise his stunning vision in telling stories everyone knows by heart, whether it be his own version of Romeo + Juliet, a take on Moulin Rogue! This didn’t make a new fan of me, I just don’t think I could devote any amount of time to a man who died of a drug overdose sitting on a toilet – but to each their own.Clad in the black leather uniform of a dedicated rock n’ roll fetishist, a cherry-red guitar around his neck, and that insouciant forelock secured in place, the hillbilly cat howled once more. Of course, there are dramatic licenses taken – not being an Elvis aficionado, many passed me by, such as the fact that the Presley Family company here formed before Elvis’s career began actually wasn’t formed until after his death – but the film makes no bones about choosing to present the legend of Presley over the ‘truth’ of him and given its drug-addled remembrance wraparound, these were easily forgiven by this viewer. Keep in mind that digital source material like this doesn’t come with film grain and doesn’t really run or need to run in the higher bitrates to deliver a sharp image with downright impressive amounts of detail. We shot on 50s lenses, for the 50s, and then when we got into the 60s and 70s we went anamorphic because that was the go to lensing of the 70s. In addition to classic Disney animation and the Looney Tunes shorts, Adam is also a big fan of animation from the 1990s.

The main cast and crew discuss making this unorthodox biopic of Elvis with all of its amazement and hardships. Throw in the addition of digital grain and the film’s visual aesthetic is as stylised as the film itself. digital source material makes for one very nice 4K master and here on disc for one overall excellent 4K video presentation. resolution with the very best of modern cameras, including the Arri Alexa 65 and Lf, Director of Photography Mandy Walker then created special ‘Elvis’ lenses to be used: these lenses were designed to evoke the era, primarily the 1970s, giving an age-appropriate softness to the image and introducing more aberration into the usually pristine images captured.Central to that journey is one of the significant and influential people in Elvis' life, Priscilla Presley. There is only 49 minutes worth of extras here, not counting the 47 minutes of musical selections, but that doesn't really count, since it's just the movie. The film also starred Helen Thomson as Presley's mother Gladys and Richard Roxburgh as his father Vernon. Less successful is Hanks’ Parker – underneath a mountain of prosthetics and a wandering and very questionable accent, Parker veers between having an honest love for the boy he found on that Hayride stage back in 1953 and his pantomimic manipulation and exploitation for personal gain, and there’s just something about the role that never quite lands.

In fact, to further back that up, from the PC side of things I was able to tell that the file for the film is using 60. The track is a hugely musical affair, and its mix beautifully captures the energy and vitality of those many live musical performances. Thanks to the convulsive editing of Matt Villa and Jonathan Redmond, the movie’s imagery—an onslaught of high energy jolts delivered in bite sized pieces—can dazzle the senses. The same goes for his Elvispicture, however, Luhrmann once again takes an unconventional approach to tell this tragic tale of Elvis's life and career. In that moment, Elvis the Man was sacrificed,” narrates Tom Hanks’ character, Elvis’s manager Tom Parker, as the singer graces the stage in front of a screaming audience.The truth is that in this modern era, the life of Elvis Presley could not be a better canvas on which to explore America in the '50s, the '60s, and the '70s.

That all being said, I won’t tell you the whole story here in my review of Elvis Presley’s life, in fact, the film doesn’t entirely do so 100% accurately, but I will say that this film manages to do one fantastic job of telling the story [as best as possible] and is an absolute must-see film for any fan of Elvis or those curious about the man, his life, and the music he performed. Other new releases include Lightyear on Blu-ray and 4K UHD from Walt Disney Home Entertainment and Where the Crawdads Sing on Blu-ray from Sony Pictures . Facial textures are excellent, with the individual hairs of Butler’s superlative mutton chops nicely delineated, as are some of the outrageous make up appliances (some purposeful, some…not so). Luhrmann knows how to set a film on fire with spectacular effects that can fully immerse his audience inside a live stage play with all the hot lights, music, and choreography to keep everyone's toes tapping.

There are great moments of rebellion, his love for his child and mother, and wanting to make the best music and live performance there ever was, which Luhrmann also spotlights as well. That villain was Elvis's long-time manager known as "Colonel" Tom Parker (Tom Hanks), who selfishly and sinisterly manipulated Elvis and his family out of millions of dollars for his own gambling debts. And once the musical numbers kick in, everything else just melts away – stunningly realised and conveying that Presley charisma, charm and magnetic appeal in spades, they serve as a constant reminder of what made Presley into a musical act that transcended popular culture.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment