276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Breaking the Age Code: How Your Beliefs About Ageing Determine How Long and Well You Live

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This is the question that led leading expert and researcher Dr Becca Levy to discover a fascinating truth: just changing the way you think about ageing can add years to your life. Neuroplasticity continues as we age with the ability to stay flexible and sprout new neural connections. Some memories improve, for example Semantic Memory (recall of general knowledge). Some stay the same, for example Procedural Memory (such as how to ride a bike), and some decline, such as Episodic Memory (recall of a specific experience).

Write down every portrayal of aging that you come across," says Levy — from advertising to TV shows to casual conversation. This can reveal the areas in your life where explicit and implicit biases might lie. "Questioning the negative portrayals," says Levy, "is really important." Levy has developed an “ABC Method” that individuals can use to harness the power of their own positive age beliefs to improve their health. This approach consists of three stages: Over the past 20 years, Levy has conducted groundbreaking studies on different health conditions affected by attitudes toward aging. Her results show some surprising results: She explains how our positive and negative age beliefs shape our behaviors, health, and, ultimately, our longevity in her new book Breaking the Age Code (William Morrow; April 12, 2022). Physical health ― Patients with favorable attitudes about aging are more likely to recover from severe disability.Breaking the Age Code is a revolutionary paradigm shift in how we think about aging.Dr. Becca Levy has pioneered a new field of research that reveals how our mindset and beliefs shape our behaviors, our ability to heal, and our lifespan, in invisible but powerful ways.Through cutting edge science, and memorable stories, she shares a new view of aging that will change how we age.Fascinating, inspiring, and moving,this book holds one of the precious keys to a healthy ageing society.” People are better at pattern recognition past the age of 60. Younger adults tend to use left frontal cortex whereas older people use this as well as the right frontal cortex which is used for storing and processing special information, such as a map. This book is downright amazing, giving me the chance to consider aging in a completely new light. I'm quite glad I started reading it, almost on a whim, if I recall, looking over newly released books. I was just interested enough to give it a try, perhaps due to being the right age that such matters as ageism are starting to perk my interest. But the topic of this book is very much an issue for people of all ages, I would have liked to have been more aware of these issues decades ago. Sister Madonna Buder, known as The Iron Nun, who started running at 50 and has completed 350 triathlons. At the time of writing, she was still going at the age of 91

Age beliefs impact our health in ways big and small,” says Levy, who became interested in psychology as a U-M undergraduate. She completed her graduate work at Harvard, and is now a professor of epidemiology and of psychology at Yale. While Levy’s research underscores the value of celebrating our advancing years as a time for creativity, exploration, and accomplishment, today’s reality is often quite different. All too frequently, personal views, cultural stereotypes, and institutional biases about aging are tilted in a negative direction. It is hard to write a book on science aimed at the popular market. Science is all about detail and logical exposition, and good science is generally messy. We saw that as we watched science play out in real time and headlines during the first year of COVID. Explaining science accurately in the language of average readers is difficult, and few are good at it (Stephen Hawking springs to mind). A common approach is to break the complex story into nuggets of information and to use personal stories to humanize difficult-to-digest data This reaches bottom in Internet sales pitches of health products that keep the reader stringing along until the price tag finally comes clear (“but today you get two for one”). But it’s a tried and true technique that has made self-help books popular. Which makes it an editor’s go-to option. I can’t help but imagine the meeting between the author and her agent or publisher: During America’s early history, views of aging were generally positive. However, in the mid-1800s, this positivity began to wane, giving way to less-favorable age beliefs that have taken hold over time.People can be just as creative in older life, with many artists and writers exhibiting more depth and emotional resonance in their later works. For example, Michelangelo’s two Pietas (one done in his twenties, the next in his seventies), Joseph Turner, and George Eliot, to name a few. Breaking the Age Code tells us about: Does your retirement planning include how you think? Positive views and negative views on aging matter. Yale professor Dr. Becca Levy’s ground-breaking research shows how age beliefs can benefit the aging process, including the extension of life expectancy by 7.5 years. Today’s culture brings a steady stream of negative messages on aging, but you can challenge those messages and cultivate positive age beliefs. Even though Levy's chatty style kinda bugged me (which is rare for me, usually I am all for a chatty informal style) and she gave too many personal stories as examples, this book ended up being better than I thought it would be. I appreciated all of the studies that she referenced and included in her notes section. Very thorough in seeking out relevant research related to her topic. Ageism in the workplace has cost many senior workers with years of valuable experience in their jobs, livelihoods, and feelings of self-worth. Two-thirds of workers in America said they have witnessed or personally experienced age discrimination in their place of work, according to an AARP survey.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment