276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Mamushka: Recipes from Ukraine & beyond

£13£26.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The recipes are a solid combination of bright and fresh, as well as home-y and warm, with a good variety of complexities levels as well. Either serve the meat pieces on top of the noodles, or pull the meat from the bones and mix it with the juices from the goose, then add the noodles to the meat and give them a good stir to coat them well.

This book is an ode to all those women (and men) that I was raised by and grew up with, and the food they lovingly prepared.My paternal grandmother is Siberian, my mother has Jewish and Bessarabian (Moldovan) roots, my father was born in Uzbekistan and we have Armenian relatives and Ossetian friends. Place the parcels on top of the sauce, folded side down, tucking them next to each other snugly so they don’t unravel. She kicked off her culinary career working at Fulham's Union Market with Aaron Craze before landing her dream job as chef-de-partie at Ottolenghi's. I'd also suggest to youtube the name of the biscuit to learn about the shaping as the explanation is very vague.

This book is a fine presentation of the most wonderful and distinctively delicate and flavourful (unfortunately lesser known) cuisine of Ukraine and beyond. After finishing school, she moved to the UK where she studied Italian language and International Relations at the University of Warwick. I did not find they were necessary and the soup was delicious, satisfying and quite filling without them. Although my sour cream sauce split, it came back together with some whisking, and it was very nice with the patties.Cook the poussins, cut side down, over a medium heat for 3 minutes, then flip them over and cook them skin side down for 5 minutes. If you are curious and want to discover something new and learn more about Ukraine, I highly recommend this book. It is published on August 10th in the UK and Australia and in October 2017 in the US, Canada, Germany and Poland. Olia Hercules was born in Ukraine and lived in Cyprus for 5 years before moving to London to study a BA in Italian language, followed by an MA in Russian and English. This is real cooking, written about with so much love' - Diana Henry'From stuffed cabbage leaves to garlicky poussins, Olia Hercules's recipes are redolent of long summers in her mother's Ukrainian garden; rich, nourishing and enhanced by her stint as an Ottolenghi chef' - Observer Food Monthly.

I also really enjoyed the “Armenian Roasted Vegetables”, “Potato Cakes with Goats Cheese”, and must try the “Cured Mackerel” and pickled (or soured) recipes. The resulting soup was simultaneously subtle and rich, light and filling, playing up the lushness of the duck with the lemony tartness of the fresh sorrel leaves.If there is a lot of fat, skim some of it off, then add the water, season the meat well with salt and pepper and cook over the lowest heat possible, covered tightly, for 2 hours or until tender and you can easily pull the meat off the bones. I read some comments saying that the food was bland, having only tried two recipes, I cannot talk about the others but they were far from bland, especially the chicken as it contains spices, citrus and walnuts. a joyful celebration of Eastern European cooking' - Observer'My present to myself: not to be played with until my own writing is done! I really shouldn’t have been surprised, as the Soviet Union was much bigger than Western Europe, and France (or Italy) alone have so many traditional foods specific to tiny regions.

From Olia Hercules - Observer Rising Star of 2015 "Exotic, earthy dishes, vibrant colours, big flavours.

I would certainly try it again – blanching the cabbage leaves a lot longer, and using a knife (instead of just a spoon and fork) to eat it.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment