276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Code Name Hélène : Inspired by the gripping true story of World War 2 spy Nancy Wake

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Nancy Grace Augusta Wake had several code names; Hélène was the one she used as a spy. During a large part of this novel, she is known as Madame Andrée, in charge of coordinating communications and vital drops of military paraphernalia including weapons from London, and assuming command of an army of French guerrilla soldiers as part of the French Resistance during WW11. She was fiery, intelligent, spirited, and had a right big vocabulary of curse words, which she employed liberally. Did I mention brave? She had that in spades. Originally from Australia, she left home when she was 16 and eventually landed in Paris, working for the Hearst newspaper, where she was never given a byline because she was female. While covering news stories about increasing violence against Jews, she developed a deep-seated hatred for the Nazis.

Code Name Helene - Discussion Questions - Ariel Lawhon Code Name Helene - Discussion Questions - Ariel Lawhon

The story was too long. The first half was dull and boring. For me the story only caught on in the second half of the bookIt's no secret that I love books with strong women. Women with gumption. They inspire me. To loosely paraphrase Lawhon "Women like Nancy have always existed. But when men write the history books we don't hear about them." In my opinion- it's time we hear her story because it s so.darn.good! Inspired by true wartime events, Code Name Hélène is a gripping and moving story of extraordinary courage, unfaltering resolve, remarkable sacrifice – and enduring love. Readers will be transfixed by this story of a woman who should be a household name’ Library Journal Henri slowly woes Nancy, they marry in 1939 and the Germans invade France. Henri is called up, Nancy drives her own ambulance at the front and she helps the resistance by smuggling documents and people. The Germans give Nancy the title of, 'The White Mouse', with a bounty on her head, Henri makes her leave France and she crosses the snowy Pyrenees Mountains and travels to England.

Code Name Hélène by Ariel Lawhon - Goodreads Editions of Code Name Hélène by Ariel Lawhon - Goodreads

World War II heroine Nancy Wake should be so widely celebrated that whole bevies of schoolgirls dress up as this brave member of the French Resistance for Halloween. It’s a mystery — and a travesty — that she isn’t. But perhaps New York Times bestselling author Ariel Lawhon’s novel Code Name Hélène will finally bring her the recognition she deserves.Nancy Wake... Nancy Fiocca—is the kind of woman who conquers the world. Fearless. Ferocious. Nancy is the sort of woman who bathes in a meteor shower. She is not the kind of woman who concedes to anyone. (c) Masterful. . . Exhaustively researched and vividly woven. . . As much an epic love story as an engrossing narrative of an unlikely anti-Nazi combatant. . . Lawhon has proven herself a master at her craft, and she does readers a great service with Code Name Hélène.” — CHAPTER16

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment