276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Steeple Chasing: Around Britain by Church

£11£22.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In Partnership with St Martin-in-the-Fields. This series of nine lectures is inspired by the words of Martin Luther during the Reformation. Distinguished speakers investigate those things in which we believe deeply – and for which we would be prepared to make a costly stand. Eventing's Short and Long Formats Compared". thehorse.com. June 2005. Archived from the original on 11 October 2017 . Retrieved 9 October 2017. I am as far away from a believer in any sort of religion as one can possible be, but I do worship at the alter of church/church yard architecture and the world such buildings inhabit. So this book was the equivalent to the bible for me. It took me from war art of the 1920’s to water ceremonies at Glastonbury via the matriarch of London herself, St Paul’s. Award-winning writer Peter Ross sets out to tell their stories, and through them a story of Britain. Join him as he visits the unassuming Norfolk church which contains a disturbing secret, and London's mighty cathedrals with their histories of fire and love. Meet cats and bats, monks and druids, angels of oak and steel.

With many churches facing closure due to falling rolls and falling income, it is clear throughout the book that churches are not just places of worship but play a vital role in communities. This can take many forms such as running a foodbank or soup kitchen, providing a welcoming safe space for anyone who needs it, being the place where addiction support groups, counselling groups, youth organisations, toddlers groups and so much more take place. When the buildings go, what will happen to these vital services? New legal challenge looms as racing rebels reject 'flawed' Oakbank ballot". www.indaily.com.au. 7 July 2022.The name comes from jump racing’s origins in Ireland, when young men would race their horses from church steeple to church steeple jumping any and all obstacles in between. In addition to holding an inaugural race in 1930, two international steeplechases were held at Grasslands in 1930 and 1931. The winners were awarded a gold trophy designed by King Alfonso XIII of Spain. [7]

During the 1940s and 50s, the Broad Hollow Steeplechase Handicap, the Brook National Steeplechase Handicap and the American Grand National were regarded as American steeplechasing's Triple Crown. The slates slip, the family is extinguished, yet the poem is written in the present tense. The faith of the mausoleum’s builders – and, presumably the accompanying church – still sings out. Maybe the sea of faith is these days just a tideless, emptying pool, but as long as those buildings are there to remind us what it was, our horizons widen retrospectively across centuries, and we can imagine what faith must have felt like even if we no longer feel it ourselves. Peter Ross, I am certain, would completely understand. Barrett, Norman, ed. (1995). The Daily Telegraph Chronicle of Horse Racing. Enfield, Middlesex: Guinness Publishing.

steeple

Peter Ross’s Steeple Chasing: Around Britain by Church, a natural sequel to his 2020 book on the pleasures of graveyard browsing, A Tomb With A View, is a tour of these acts of worship in stone and glass; a massive church crawl which begins on a dark December morning at Pluscarden Abbey outside Elgin – as bells call the Benedictine monks to prayer – and ends 18 months later on Holy Island at dawn on the longest day. Jasami Publishing takes talented new writers on the journey to becoming published authors. By publishing a myriad of genres Jasami offers a stellar variety from contemporary writers; From Scotland these include a crime writer, poet, photographer, and c … And yes, I wanted Jamesina Ross to be concerned with bearing witness, because that mattered to peop … Buildings like Old St Paul’s seem to stand outside time in a way that would make perfect sense to quite a number of people Ross interviews. At Durham, the aged guide talks about St Cuthbert and the Venerable Bede as though they are both still living; at Lindisfarne, the former curate of the church next to the priory, tells him that as far as she is concerned Saints Aidan and Cuthbert ‘are just as alive as we are, though in a different state’. And although I wouldn’t go quite so far, I do think that knowledge of the past can, by making us aware of the fleetingness of our own lives, can gift us, however briefly, a sense of timelessness. Of all the reasons for taking up the hobby of what John Betjeman called ‘church-crawling’ – which Ross, tongue only slightly in cheek, suggests ought to be as popular as Munro-bagging – this is, I suspect, the one that chimes the loudest with him: that nowhere else do the past and present slip so easily into each other. Steeplechasing traces its lineage to Ireland in the mid-18th century, and in recent decades its beauty and excitement have attracted the participation of leaders in commerce and industry. In England, HM Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, was an avid fan and participant for more than a half century, and Prince Charles has ridden in steeplechase races. In the United States, families bearing such well-known names as duPont, Mellon, Vanderbilt, Whitney, Widener, Clark, and Phipps have raced horses over fences.

Award-winning writer Peter Ross sets out to tell their stories, and through them a story of Britain. Join him as he visits the unassuming Norfolk church which contains a disturbing secret, and London’s mighty cathedrals with their histories of fire and love. Meet cats and bats, monks and druids, angels of oak and steel. The Clarks were steeplechase people, and no less so were the members of Wilmington’s duPont family. When Marion duPont’s brother, William duPont Jr., built Delaware Park, a steeplechase course designed by Morris Dixon was one of its distinctive features. Also in the mid-1930s, duPont built the Fair Hill steeplechase course in northern Maryland to duplicate the look and feel of an English country steeplechase course.The real value of churches, he maintains, is that they hold the past and present, decay and use, in a rare balance, that their buildings have a poetry and spirituality about them that only intensifies as they come under threat.’ David Robinson finds the beauty of church, art, and community in Peter Ross’s latest travelogue, Steeple Chasing. Animal Liberation, Animals in Sport and Entertainment, archived from the original on 2009-04-29 , retrieved 2009-05-12

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment