276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Keane: The Autobiography

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I'm surprised how much Roy Keane's second autobiography made me laugh ... More importantly the book told me that Keane should be the next Manchester United manager. The more I read what he had to say, and his reflections on his two jobs as boss, the more I realised how perfect he would be at Old Trafford -- Adrian Durham * MAIL ONLINE * Whenever I read a sportsman’s second autobiography (usually published a bit after they have retired), I always like to reread their first one (usually published at peak of their carer). It can be fascinating to see how the same events or relationships are told differently with the benefit of more experience or changed dynamics. I hope to reread and write about some of my favourite double autobiographies. First up, the Manchester United and Ireland legend, Roy Keane! The best things are the small things: regretting joining Ipswich when he discovered the training kit was blue; refusing to sign Robbie Savage because his answerphone message was rubbish; being appalled that his side had listened to an Abba song before playing football' Evening Standard In a thoughtful piece as long ago as 2005, the year of the great Manchester United bust-up, British sportswriter Simon Barnes wrote about how Keane had "mellowed". Like global warming, Keane's mellowing has always been difficult to detect with the naked eye, and is absolutely denied by some. The process appears to have been going on for as long as anyone can remember, to the point where it has become – all credit to the lad – one of football's great cliches. He doesn’t know this, but everybody (in the Manchester United squad when Keane joined) was buzzing to have him there.

The other main contradiction that an Arsenal fan such as myself may be tempted to call a double-standard is Keane’s supposed unflinching attitude toward the truth. He exemplified a very important aspect of Man United’s greatness, which was a hatred of complacency, a refusal to be satisfied that more often than not spoiled any sense of accomplishment. This ultimately led to his downfall, tragic hero that he is (although the Autobiography was written prior to the event) when he unduly criticized his teammates’ performance on Man U’s own TV program. The contradiction lies not in his ability to be mercilessly critical of himself and his own team, but in the absolute denial of the existence of quality elsewhere. He has some words for Real Madrid and Juventus, and he admits begrudgingly throughout when another team played better than his; but for the most part the successes of anyone else mean nothing to him. As a fan of a major rival of his, it’s easy to see why I would notice such a contradiction; but Keane is not concerned with being a well-rounded individual. He is not concerned with following the Socratic method of argument. The inability to give the slightest shit about competitors doing well, to nonsensically (in logical terms) attribute zero value to the success of rivals, is a major advantage for a competitive athlete. At the office it makes you a cunt, but in the vicious world of professional football it is a valuable—if unconscious—attribute. The focus on the Alex Ferguson feud, the sport's most tiresome quarrel, at Thursday's book launch in Dublin suggested that recent signs of a genuine softening in Keane's thinking and perspective were deceptive. Partly since his work as a TV pundit, and especially in his assistant manager roles, Keane's image has undergone a rebranding not unlike Ryanair's: more appealing to the public, business friendly, fewer baggage issues. It is the dearth of integrity that makes Pietersen such a peevish, trifling character, and the surfeit that makes Keane so entrancingly epic ... the personification of honest to a fault ... he is as close as sport can offer to an Old Testament prophet. Heroically unconcerned with being loved, almost insanely devoted to telling what he regards as the plain truth, he may not always be engaging. But ... he stands out as utterly and irreducibly true to himself -- Matthew Norman * THE INDEPENDENT * It now seems somewhat hypocritical for Keane to fall out with Irish players for not training when injured after making these comments in the second book. One thing is for certain is that as long as Keane is in the public eye controversy will follow him). I only played with him for two seasons at the end of my career, and he had some injuries, but I saw more than enough to appreciate his brilliance.

Retailers:

Keane’s own rise was meteoric once it got going, progressing from playing in the 2nd Division in Ireland with Cobh Ramblers to starting in an FA Cup Final for Nott’s Forrest within 12 months. It likely took a genius like Forrest manager Brian Clough to see Keane’s true potential and throw him straight into the Forrest line up as a starter at 19.

Every team needs a player like Keane, someone who can control the game and dominate the tempo. Tactically and positionally he always got it right and is very good in one-on-one duels.” Peter Schmeichel The second book also shows that Keane now questions some of the belief’s he had throughout his earlier career and that jump out in the first book. In particular, he seems to have realised that playing through injuries was more stupid than heroic. While the second book is less effusive in its praise for Sir Alex Ferguson, Keane never lets any animosity he may feel about his exit from Man Utd impact his earlier assessment of Fergie’s greatness as a manager.The insights into how he left United are interesting – it was such big news at the time. Similarly, as someone who attended a few Sunderland games during its “Irish” era, I enjoyed the behind the scenes look at his incredibly succesful first year in management. If you write a book, you have got to be true to yourself. It's no good just making something up. You have got to show what is in your heart, and what is in your head, and that is what Roy has done -- Terry Venables * THE INDEPENDENT ON SUNDAY *

Somebody I met in Ireland had told me to tell him [Ferguson]: ‘You are not going to win this,’ Keane writes in his new autobiography, The Second Half. “I mentioned it to him. And I told him that I didn’t think it was good for the club, the manager in a legal dispute with shareholders. Booker Prize-winner Roddy Doyle nails Keane's attitude and cadences... Compelling, eye-opening, and - whisper it - great fun -- Ben East * METRO *

No. 1 bestselling memoir of Roy Keane, former captain of Manchester United and Ireland - co-written with Man Booker Prize-winner Roddy Doyle. We knew that he was a special player, we knew that he loved to have a bit of a moan, but we knew that he could produce the goods week in, week out, and we knew he was a winner.” Ole Gunnar Solskjaer The thing I love about this man is there is nothing he writes down that he would not say to someone's face -- Stan Collymore * THE PEOPLE * Undoubtedly one of the best midfielders of his generation, Keane is just as well known for his antics off the pitch as he is his brilliant performances on it. I've just got my copy of The Second Half and although I'm only a couple of chapters into it, it has not disappointed. People have their own opinions of Roy and some would be fearful of him, given how outspoken he can be. I have always judged people how I find them and I can honestly say I have never found a fault in him ... He had a fabulous career and I know I'm going to enjoy reading about it -- Jamie Carragher * DAILY MAIL *

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment