276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Place Called Freedom

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Ken Follett is one of the world’s most successful authors. Over 170 million copies of the 36 books he has written have been sold in over 80 countries and in 33 languages. Ken’s first major success came with the publication of Eye of the Needle in 1978. A World War II thriller set in England, this book earned him the 1979 Edgar Award for Best Novel from the Mystery Writers of America. It remains one of Ken’s most popular books. because when I think of this book I think of my father, more then I think of Mac and Elizabeth. it will always be special to me more for that.

I did not know that in the 17 hundreds, coal miners were slaves. That there was a church ceremony where they promised their children to be miners for life to a certain mine owner. I did not know that if accused of a crime in London, you were not allowed a lawyer. It was thought that if you needed professional help to defend yourself, you must be guilty. Through character development and a exciting story line, I was entertained and educated more in fifteen hours than any semester of text book history. I could mention several entertaining things that happened, but one of my favorites was where one judge tried 19 cases in one day and sentenced all 19 cases. Set in an era of turbulent social changes on both sides of the Atlantic, A Place Called Freedom is a magnificent historical fiction novel from the undisputed master of suspense and drama, Ken Follett. John Wilkes – A British politician and agitator from the period. Wilkes is often referred to throughout the book, very frequently in the disparaging tones members of the gentry use, who are concerned about his politics. [6]Would you consider the audio edition of A Place Called Freedom to be better than the print version? After being caught in the middle of a riot, McAsh is captured and sentenced to transportation to America, a form of punishment which was often seen as an effective alternative to the death penalty during that period. [5] Once arriving in the Colony of Virginia, McAsh is sold into slavery and made to work as a field hand before escaping to the western frontier and eventually finding his freedom. I did like the story though, now have will try to make a point of it to read a book before I give it to them. The prologue, about finding an iron collar in a twentieth-century garden, is quite unusual and people often ask me if it’s true. It’s not. Many 18th century novels pretended to be real and the prologue uses the same literary device. It gives the reader a sense of how much time has elapsed since the historical period of the story. People who know me realise I couldn’t possibly have found a collar in a flower bed because I’ve never done any gardening in my life. Pensa: vivere dove vuoi, non dove te lo ordinano. Scegliere il lavoro, essere libero di andartene e di accettarne un altro pagato meglio, o meno pericoloso, o più pulito. Essere padrone di te stesso e non schiavo di qualcuno… non sarebbe magnifico?".

The prologue explains when the owner moved into High Glen house he found an iron collar with an inscription from 1767. He uses it as a paperweight on his desk but often looks at it, wondering what story is behind it. This is the story of a Place Called Freedom by Ken Follet, an exciting story about the quest for freedom and happiness. I liked the story I dont think I as much unless it fit into my life the way it did. Some times books, like music are that way, when I think of what Ive read and what was happening in my own life at the time, affects how much I like a book, I have a couple of books like that. A tasty, if not always tasteful, tale of supernatural mayhem that fans of King and Crichton alike will enjoy.It blows my mind to think of the sheer nerve of eighteenth-century pioneers who went to America in tiny boats and set off to explore unknown territory, having not the least idea what was ahead of them. Life feels just as constrained for rebellious Lizzie Hallim, as she struggles with the less cruel circumstances of wealth and privilege. Fiercely independent, she is engaged to a man she doesn’t care for, a landlord’s son and heir to an exploitative business empire. I don't understand how Follett does it, but he in so few words creates vivid worlds of texture and smell, of pain and pleasure. He brings the reader into these worlds and delivers.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment