276°
Posted 20 hours ago

This is Not America: Why Black Lives in Britain Matter

£9.495£18.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

You made a great point. This Is Not America and even Never Let Me Down (song) are very Ferry-esque and it is indeed Bowie copying Ferry, for Ferry always had these leanings. I’ve always liked this. I bought the single, which must make it the last Bowie music I bought at the time of release – everything since has been previous releases I digressed. Didn’t know Bowie didn’t write the music but now that I know it makes a lot of sense. It doesn’t quite sound like his musical signature, does it. But at the same time it could easily pass for his composition. This was the 80’s after all, a decade in which Bowie didn’t quite sound like Bowie. Still his vocal is one of his finest of the era: the way Bowie quietly twists and reshapes his phrasing of “America” in its various repeats; the descending phrases to match lyrical depictions of decay (blossoms failing to bloom, falcons tumbling); his fine, eerie singing on the bridge—the octave leap on “ was a TIME,” the run of high Gs and As on “ blew so pure.” (There’s a touch of Donald Fagen on “ faintest idea“). Bowie deftly handles the jarring key change after the first bridge (to G-sharp minor), a move that puts an edge into the song but also seems like the composers forcing the drama a bit. The problem is that once the key change happens, the song doesn’t go anywhere new, settling into a repeat of the first verse and the entire bridge, plus a minute’s worth of outro. When he performed it live years later, Bowie wisely moved the change to the song’s climax. Sometimes the invisible word was related with the street they’d started out from, or they used the game to comment on everyday matters with monosyllabic shopping-list words—“juice,” “bread,” “milk”—but there were also days when they didn’t feel like saying anything or were in a bad mood, and then they walked separately, wherever they wanted, randomly filling the city with unintelligible scribbles.

This Is Not America Journalist as Author: Tomiwa Owolade, This Is Not America

Not sure I agree with bowie copying ferry I think they are quite removed from each other in style any similarity is due to 80,s production. Gotta say ferry faired better during the decade he has never lost his style and cool where Bowie sadly lost it totally. Never thought I would see the great dame on roller skates but it happened in 87 cripes what a year. This is not america is a gem I bought the 12 inch must did it out as cannot remember if it is longer? Nothing to do with ‘This is not America’ but there’s a reasonably interesting programme available on the BBC for the next week or so for anyone interested:For some reason I remembered Absolute Beginners coming before TINA – the song, not the girl, but obviously I’m wrong. Identity politics is another issue that can cause a divide and is a topic that Tomiwa Owolade has written extensively on. In his debut book ‘This Is Not America’, he looks at how a split away from American views on race and identity might help build an anti-racist agenda in Britain. We caught up with him to discuss the book, his freelance work and diversity within the media industry.

This Is Not America by Tomiwa Owolade review — it’s class This Is Not America by Tomiwa Owolade review — it’s class

Chosen as a non-fiction highlight of 2023 in The Times, Guardian, Observer, Irish Times and New Statesman He’s about to cross Carrer del Rosselló when he sees the famous journalist Joan de Sagarra going by, looking like he hasn’t had dinner and gloomy and mad at the world or his neighborhood, or maybe mentally writing his next article in which he’ll be mad at the world or his neighborhood. He knows that Sagarra lives around here because he’s said so in more than one of his Sunday pieces. In a playground a little farther down, a small boy frenziedly climbs up and hurtles down a slide while a girl makes sure he doesn’t hurt himself when he hits the bottom. He’s about four or five and you can see he’s hyper. His shouts echo in the absence of traffic. The girl, who must be his mother, is wearing a full-length turquoise sari with silver embroidery glittering under the streetlights. He watches her for a few seconds, guessing that she’s not yet twenty-five and noting that she doesn’t seem at all bothered that it’s so late. Other children are at home sleeping, and this one has the whole playground to himself. He slows down, still looking with a touch of envy at the two figures, which seem to have been teleported from another faraway place at another time of day. A few meters farther along, he gets what’s happening. On the other side of the street is a small Pakistani supermarket, and it’s still open. From the doorway, a man is watching the movements of the mother and child. Get the kid tired and he’ll drop off straightaway. After the Tonight album I pretty much tuned out/was unaware of Bowie until Never Let Me Down, so this is fascinating reading for me. A very good song that I only became aware of a few years ago. Now I’m wondering if Bowie’s choosing to team up with the jazzy Metheny was inspired by Bryan Ferry’s solo outings around this time, which have a similar “cool AOR” vibe to them. Stuff like “Don’t Stop the Dance,” etc. Those two seemed to be trading shots for much of their careers. From the acclaimed, prize-winning Catalonian author of the novel Lost Luggage, a collection of nine masterful short stories about adulthood, heartbreak, and outsiders in search of their place in the world.An excellent book from a perceptive and unshowy writer... The men Puntí writes about live on the edges, but for the most part, they've put themselves there, and can't figure out how to extract themselves. They chiefly have only themselves to blame for their troubles, although most of them either don't realize it or choose not to. They're maddening characters, and Puntí regards them with sympathy, but never valorizes their usually unfortunate decisions. It's an accomplished book, filled with bone-dry humor and incisive observations about people who desperately need to connect, but have no idea how. It's also a powerful literary reminder that nostalgia and magical thinking both threaten the way we relate to one another, and to ourselves.” — NPR Behind the self-confident image of world’s most influential country, we now see a nation tearing itself apart. The United States may be arguably the world’s only superpower, but its internal tensions are a symptom of suffering and division, a condition only exacerbated by the election of President Donald Trump. Our servers are getting hit pretty hard right now. To continue shopping, enter the characters as they are shown What underpins my opposition is seeing people first as individuals, not as representatives of their race. This is not to argue that I don’t see race, or that race doesn’t matter. It is to argue that to define someone exclusively by their race is to acquiesce to the vision of racists. I will not stand by that. Thanks for the thorough article. Btw, while I think you have the correct chords (Gm-Dm/F-Ebmaj7-Dm/F), that pattern is I-V-VI-V, not I-IV-VI-IV.

This is Not America: how Britain fell for America’s madness

Could he really? Lammy is a Harvard-educated lawyer who has been an MP in London for 23 years. Floyd lived more than 6,000 kolometres away, where he battled a drug problem and spent almost one third of his adult life in jail. What did he and Lammy have in common apart from skin tone?Chosen as a non-fiction highlight of 2023 in The Times, Guardian, Observer, Irish Times and New Statesman*** Owolade, who was born in Nigeria but raised in southeast London, mostly makes his case with clarity and care as he calls for race relations in Britain to be understood from a unique perspective. Jordi Puntí is not only Catalonia's most important writer, but he is also one of the funniest, most perceptive writers in all of Europe. This Is Not America is a tour-de-force story collection set on both sides of the Atlantic." -- Gary Shteyngart

This is Not America: Why Black Lives in Britain Matter This is Not America: Why Black Lives in Britain Matter

Are you available for freelance commissions, speaker opportunities or other roles? If I’m a PR professional with a story or another opportunity for you, how should I get in touch? Toni Forajido doesn’t say a word but raises his open left hand, waggling it as if waving. In that light he’s just got time to notice that there’s a finger missing, the middle one.

Categories

A man recalls a past love as he strolls through the lonely streets of Barcelona. A hitchhiker on the outskirts of the city of Vic carries his secrets in a briefcase. In northern Catalonia, a villager receives letters from a long-estranged brother and grapples with how to respond. Then there’s the man who wants to surprise his wife with a trip to Paris, only to swap it for a solitary cruise. An excellent book from a perceptive and unshowy writer... The men Puntí writes about live on the edges, but for the most part, they've put themselves there, and can't figure out how to extract themselves. They chiefly have only themselves to blame for their troubles, although most of them either don't realize it or choose not to. They're maddening characters, and Puntí regards them with sympathy, but never valorizes their usually unfortunate decisions. It's an accomplished book, filled with bone-dry humor and incisive observations about people who desperately need to connect, but have no idea how. It's also a powerful literary reminder that nostalgia and magical thinking both threaten the way we relate to one another, and to ourselves." -- NPR Right, right, we’ve been together for years.” He doesn’t want to tell the truth. Mai would see it as a defeat, and there’s no need. Then they say goodbye and go their separate ways, but at the last minute he stops and shouts, “Hey, Toni, just a matter of curiosity: Do you still play bass?”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment