276°
Posted 20 hours ago

One of the Girls: From the bestselling author of The Castaways comes a gripping, page-turning blast of a crime thriller

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

EXCERPT: Later, we would all remember the hen weekend for one reason: because of what happened on the night of the beach fire. Before that, there were good moments - even beautiful ones - like sharing dishes of tzatziki and glistening olives beneath the Greek sun, or laughing till our knees gave way about something that would never be funny if repeated, or dancing barefoot on the lip of the shore. Thank you to PENGUIN GROUP Putnam, G.P. Putnam's Sons and NetGalley who provided me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All the thoughts and opinions are my own. Lucy's books are published in twenty territories. THE BLUE, is currently being filmed for a major international TV series for Paramount+ and will be on screens in 2023. The narrative is not very suspenseful or dramatic; tension and anxiety is foreshadowed in that we know all six women are holding secrets but the pacing is slow, tedious and the reader has to get through a lot of filler before secrets are revealed. The only thing she has to go with are the travel journals of her sister, which makes it possible to retrace her sister’s last few months.

Female friendships under the scrutiny of the Greek sunshine, this is an engrossing thriller with so many unexpected twists and turns.” — Lisa Ballantyne, bestselling author of The Guilty One Someone somewhere has information on what happened all those years in the past and what has transpired in the intervening period. How could you not like a thriller about a hen party that goes awry, set on an island in Greece?Secrets explode when these women gather at a villa set on a precipitous cliff, about as steep as all the lies that are revealed.”– Real Simple, “Best Beach Reads of 2022”But this story isn't told just from Bella's perspective. She just happens to be the person that I connected with the most; take from that what you will. Wow! I'm at a loss of what to say about One of the Girls because it was that fantastic. Fun. Engrossing. Well Written. Unputdownable. These are just a few words I'd use to describe this novel. By this time, she already knew that she wanted to become a fiction author but needed money to support herself. I did not see the twists coming and felt like I was on a rollercoaster! Just as I thought things would settle another twist was thrown into the mix. I loved the slow uncovering of the truth as secrets were aired. I also thoroughly enjoyed the ending, it felt like a great way to wrap this story up. I listened to the audiobook of this novel and really liked the narrator. I will definitely be reading more by Lucy Clarke from now on!

However, it was not until she was 30 that she signed her first book deal. By this time she had a ton of rejection letters enough to paper a full wall. As such she literally had weak knees when her agent called to say a publisher had made an offer for her novel. Character driven, trapped in an island with a murderer premise sets on Greek Island of Aegos with well played, smart twists and unexpected conclusion! Yes, I’m easily sold!

Absolutely likable thriller if you enjoy the great Greek island premise and strong character driven mysteries!

I absolutely loved the Greek setting for this book, I really felt like I was swept away. It added a summery and tense atmosphere to the book that I lapped up. The short chapters kept the tension high and the pace fast, I felt like I was flying through the book. I loved the clear shifts between multiple points of view. Once I was able to decipher who each character was, it added so much depth. I loved seeing the thoughts of each character and developing a real understanding of their personalities. The highlight of the novel isn't the story and/or the characters but the Greek island the six women travel to for a friend's bachelorette trip. The lead is Katie, a woman whose world is shattered when Mia her younger headstrong sister is found dead in Bali. According to the police, the death was a suicide but she does not believe any of it. Lucy is a passionate traveller and fresh air enthusiast. She's married to a professional windsurfer and, together with their two children, they spend their winters travelling and their summers at home by the sea. We know from the beginning that someone dies. We just don't know who, why, or how. This idea propels the story forward, and as the secrets are brought to light, I found myself changing my mind again and again as to who it could be.Shoutout to NetGalley for providing me with an ARC of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I really loved that it was told in multiple POV's ~ it really showed how each of them felt about one another and all the lies they tell and all the secrets they try to keep. I found it was paced and written well. I thought I knew where the story was going and I was correct and not correct. I guessed somethings and others were a surprise. Definitely gives off Big Little Lies vibes.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment