276°
Posted 20 hours ago

SkinFood: Your 4-Step Solution to Healthy, Happy Skin

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In recent years it has become apparent that the inflammation of psoriasis is not limited to the skin, but is also associated with the metabolic syndrome (including hypertension, non alcoholic fatty liver disease [NAFLD], insulin resistance, hyperlipidaemia and atherosclerosis). Epidemiological studies have strongly linked psoriasis to cardiovascular disease 3 and obesity is a shared characteristic of this cluster of risk factors. Longitudinal population-based studies attribute a causal role for obesity in the development of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis (PsA) linking it to increased disease severity and a 50% reduction in treatment response. 4,5 Furthermore, a meta-analysis has demonstrated that a reduction in body mass index (BMI) of at least 5% in people with obesity and psoriasis resulted in a significant improvement in psoriasis severity. 6

Whilst it is aimed at the general public, it is also a useful overview about the role of nutrition in skin health for primary healthcare providers. As for the writing, I wasn’t impressed either. Several things stroke me as odd, in a not pleasant way. While the author clearly has a special fondness for alliteration (“savior”/”slayer”, “divine”/”dark”, “deliver”/”destroy”, all in the same sentence, and some more in the next one), there are also plain repetitions like “drink drink after drink”, which made me cringe. Alliterations are good, but moderation is key. Steiner had developed a philosophy in the early 20th century called Anthroposophy, which observes that there is a spiritual world accessible to humans. According to the International Federation of Anthroposophic Medical Associations, the practice “is an integrative approach to treatment that extends and enhances health outcomes by looking outside of isolated symptoms toward a more holistic conception of health. This conception includes physical, psychological, and spiritual health, as well as the impact of a person's environment and social context.” Mahil, S., McSweeney, S., Kloczko, E., McGowan, B., Barker, J. and Smith, C. (2019), Does weight loss reduce the severity and incidence of psoriasis or psoriatic arthritis? A Critically Appraised Topic. Br J Dermatol, 181: 946-953The Skin Food range is microbiome-friendly, since it helps to restore the skin’s protective barrier, with organic rosemary, calendula and chamomile extracts.

Psoriasis is a common chronic inflammatory skin condition that can have an enormous impact on quality of life. Affected individuals develop red, itchy and painful plaques on their skin with overlying scales that can cause both discomfort and shame. Medical management of psoriasis includes topical treatments such as vitamin D and steroid-based creams and ointments, light therapy and immunosuppressive medications such as methotrexate and ciclosporin. Over the last two decades, numerous biologic therapies have also been developed to treat psoriasis. Our Skin Food range intensively nourishes dry skin with the power of nature. Natural oils and extracts from certified organic plants protect and nourish dry skin, leaving your body and face naturally soothed. In relation to the gut:skin axis, Dr Maruthappu recognises that there are two key characteristics for a healthy gut microbiome: balance and diversity. She includes sections that explore the relationship between the gut microbiome and different skin conditions, with commentary on potential probiotic support and recommendations for dietary choices to support the gut microbiome. Where’s the hate, then? I mean, these are the first words of the synopsis, there is a quote about hate surviving after death but that’s it. The first idea given to the reader about the book is not spoken about in said book. Just… ???? Interestingly, Dr Maruthappu does include discussions on topics such as the use of intermittent fasting, collagen supplements, caffeine and alcohol, with clear presentation of the level of evidence.

Knowledge booster

Nutrition and dietetics guidance is a priority for patients with psoriasis however, such resources are at present limited. The fast pace of the story. I enjoy it when an author gets right down to business and takes me on a roller coaster ride with their words, combining those same words with my own imagination. Type A does not disappoint in this respect. . Consultant dermatologist and nutritionist Dr Thivi Maruthappu has released a new book highlighting the symbiotic relationship between nutrition and skin health.

A new book on skin health for 2023, "Skin Food: Your 4-step solution to healthy, happy skin", written by qualified dermatologist, Dr Thivi Maruthappu is now available. Dr Marathappu is also an associate member of the Association for Nutrition and a researcher at Kings College, London. On top of that, the dialogue was witty and realistic. Personally, its dialogue that tends to hold my attention because it lets me see the situation in the eyes of the characters through how they would respond to the presented conflict—a gangshi zombie apocalypse—in question.The APPLE study will explore this in two ways – firstly a cross-sectional observational study of patients with psoriasis to examine current dietary patterns and compare these with the UK control population. The second aspect of the study will conduct a small clinical trial comparing a Mediterranean-style diet with a time-restricted Mediterranean style diet, assessing several clinical and biochemical parameters to determine response. We hope that this study will help to shed light on the role of nutrition in the management of psoriasis. Knowledge booster

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment