276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Kitchen Diaries

£15£30.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Put the butter and caster sugar into a food mixer and beat till light and fluffy. While this is happening, cut the apples into small chunks, removing the cores as you go and dropping the fruit into a bowl with the juice of the lemon. Toss the apples with the cinnamon and demerara sugar. Divide the seasoned lamb into nine, then roll each piece into a small, squat sausage, like a large wine cork. Gently push a long wooden skewer lengthways through the centre of each one and set aside for 20 minutes in the fridge.

Nigel Slater | The Guardian Nigel Slater | The Guardian

My one gripe with the format of the book, is that Nigel comes across as a little annoying insofar as all he seems to spend his day doing is lazily shopping for his dinner at the local market (?! - it's well for some...) while the rest of us race around Tesco for ten minutes with a screaming toddler on our hip, at the end of a day's work in the office. Now, he being a professional cook and cookery writer, the chances are this IS all he does all day, but depending on the day, it can make for a jealous/angry/disgruntled reader (esp in Jan/Feb....). Published: 29 Oct 2023 Nigel Slater’s autumn recipes for baked sweet potatoes, and a fig and hazelnut cakeI cook. I have done so pretty much every day of my life since Iwas a teenager. Nothing flash or show-stopping, just straighforward, everyday stuff. The kind of food you might like to come home to after a busy day. Just simple, understated food, something to be shared rather than looked at in wonder and awe. Nigel has appeared on Desert Island Discs, Gardeners’ World, Gardener’s Question Time and Front Row. He is a regular contributor to Woman’s Hour and The Food Programme.

The Kitchen Diaries - Nigel Slater - Google Books The Kitchen Diaries - Nigel Slater - Google Books

Although the mustard brings with it a certain amount of deep warmth, these are not at all spicy, and are for those who revel in an occasional sweet and extremely tactile supper. Break the eggs, beat them with a fork, then gradually add them to the butter and sugar. Sift the flour and baking powder together and fold them gently into the mixture. Scrape into the lined cake tin. Put the spiced apples on top of the cake mixture, then scatter with the breadcrumbs and, if you wish, a little more demerara sugar. I have been slowly coming round to the Brussels sprout. Not a Damascene conversion, more a slow warming (I have still to work out the allure of cooked carrots). Fried rather than boiled, partnered with the meat of the pig and slathered in cream, these are the sprouts for me. They never see water in this recipe – only hot butter, cream and bacon. There are almonds too, an inspiration. They were cooked for the last show of my third cookery series, a programme set in Scotland, where they appeared with roast wild venison and potatoes cooked with onions. The recipe is not mine but one of my assistant James's. I used purple Brussels sprouts but use whatever you have. Toast is the memoir of Nigel’s childhood. It has won five literary awards and been translated into six languages. Toast has been dramatised for radio, made into a filmand has recently been adapted for the stage. After itspremier at The Lowry and the Edinburgh Fringe it moved to London in the spring and summer of 2019 and then toured for six months until the end of the year.

Put the water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Stir in the lime zest and set aside to cool. Now stir in the juice and the mascarpone. Scrape into a metal or plastic container and put in the freezer or an ice-cream machine. From the one of our best-loved food writers and the presenter of BBC One’s Eating Together, A Year of Good Eating is a completely fresh take on seasonal cooking. Fluff the couscous with a fork, then fold in the onion and seeds. Season generously and serve with the grilled fish.

The Guardian Flavour of the month | Food | The Guardian

Peel and finely chop a red onion, then let it sweat and soften in a little olive oil in a small pan and over a low heat. Cut the bacon into finger-width strips and let them cook in a large, shallow pan over a moderate heat till the fat runs and colours to a pale gold. Nigel Slater is a British food writer, journalist and broadcaster. He has written a column for The Observer Magazine for seventeen years and is the principal writer for the Observer Food Monthly supplement. Prior to this, Slater was food writer for Marie Claire for five years. He also serves as art director for his books. Oh, it's so sad to finish this book, because I know there's not another one waiting for me on my bookshelf.Condition: Very Good. Very Good condition. Shows only minor signs of wear, and very minimal markings inside (if any). When the shallots are soft, push them to one side of the pan and add the courgettes and sliced garlic to the other, letting them lightly colour. Cut 800g of cherry or other small tomatoes in half. I think the really interesting bits of my story was growing up with this terribly dominating dad and a mum who I loved to bits but obviously I lost very early on; and then having to fight with the woman who replaced her ... I kind of think that in a way that that was partly what attracted me to working in the food service industry, was that I finally had a family." As he told The Observer, "The last bit of the book is very foody. But that is how it was. Towards the end I finally get rid of these two people in my life I did not like [his father and stepmother, who had been the family's cleaning lady] - and to be honest I was really very jubilant - and thereafter all I wanted to do was cook."

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment