276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Flame Bearer (The Last Kingdom Series, Book 10)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I had a super long review written for this series but I deleted the document accidentally so let me share with you at least some major points to explain my reasons for loving this series so much:

Special thanks to my Patrons on Patreon for giving me extra support towards my passion for reading and reviewing!A new enemy, a test to Uhtred's loyalties, the growing weight of his oaths and a whole dose of action. The Flame Bearer delivers what we have come to expect. A solid instalment with some great character moments, but not as standout as the previous few instalments. But Uhtred is determined that nothing, neither the new enemies nor the old foes who combine against him, will keep him from his birthright. The latest chapter in Bernard Cornwell’s “violent, absorbing historical saga,” The Flame Bearer confirms his title as “perhaps the greatest writer of historical adventure novels today” ( Washington Post).

This is the penultimate volume of The Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell. The first several books of the series have been made into a TV series The Last Kingdom" by BBC and Netflix. The TV series is very good; the books are better. They are better because they portray how the hero of the story, Uhtred, reacts to the Saxons in the south and the Danes to the north.

The tenth installment of Bernard Cornwell’s New York Times bestselling series chronicling the epic saga of the making of England, “like Game of Thrones, but real” (The Observer, London)—the basis for The Last Kingdom, the hit television series. The tenth entry of the Saxon Chronicles is a gripping addition that edges Uhtred closer and closer to his ultimate goal of taking Bebbanburg. All in all, The Warrior Chronicles/Saxon Stories series (all 10 available books) is spectacular story with spectacular writing. It is one of the best historical fiction stories I have ever read and it is the perfect example of how to write engaging historical fiction series that never get boring or predictable!

The rise of Prince AEthelstan begins in this book but for me the best character was the mad Bishop, Ieremias, who was loads of fun. Cornwell will have to find another strong female character to replace AEthelflaed.. perhaps it will be Stiorra, his daughter, but there is room for one or two more strong women characters... be they good or bad!! I hope Hannah pops up again and also the young daughter of AEthelhelm, who will hopefully acquire some depth of character as well as being stunningly beautiful.

wants to push the agenda forward and ensure that his grandson Ælfweard – Edward’s second son – eventually becomes ruler of a united England. So he had planned for Æthelstan (Edward’s disputed first son by his first wife) to be leading Edward’s men and to be killed in the ambush. However, Edward sends his trusted warrior Brunulf to lead his men instead of Æthelstan. Moreover, I loved author’s note at the end of every book where author explained which parts were based on historical facts and which parts of his novel he made up.

But fate is inexorable and the enemies Uhtred has made and the oaths he has sworn combine to distract him from his dream of recapturing Bebbanburg. New enemies enter into the fight for England’s kingdoms: the redoubtable Constantin of Scotland seizes an opportunity for conquest and leads his armies south. Britain’s precarious peace threatens to turn into a war of annihilation. Strong narrative, vigourous action and striking characterisation, Cornwell remains king of the territory he has staked out as his own' SUNDAY TIMES War and fight scenes are chillingly realistic. I really felt like I was there with Uhtred, fighting every new enemy or being part of countless shield wars.I wish every day was an Uhtred day. When I am reading a new book in the series, this character just brings so much enjoyment to my week. In that same note, Cornwell also explains that unlike earlier entries in the series, The Flame Bearer is not based on the known historical record. There was no Scottish invasion of Northumbria in A.D. 917, nor was there a duplicitous attempt to break the truce between the Saxons and the Danes.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment