276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Uzumaki (3-in-1 Deluxe Edition): Includes vols. 1, 2 & 3 (Junji Ito)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It is probably the weirdest manga I have ever read but it's why I enjoyed reading it. I really loved the story line and the drawings are amazing. Estas imágenes tardarán en irse, si es que algún día lo hacen, se han quedado grabadas a fuego en mi retina y es que no he podido resistirme a caer en el poder hipnótico de las espirales. Como ya había comentado: no es una lectura rápida. Las ilustraciones tienen tantos detalles que mientras más segundos pasas observándolas más perturbadoras y maravillosas te parecen, por ello creo que es mejor avanzar con calma y disfrutar cada capítulo. Lograr que cada uno de los elementos resalte en una ilustración en blanco y negro no es tan sencillo, y este mangaka ha hecho un trabajo increíble, así que considero que se merece más reconocimiento del que ya tiene.

To a certain extent, there is no reason to review this. I have nothing to add to what everyone else has already said. It is the perfect horror manga. The plot seems ridiculous (haunted spirals! Soooooo spooooooky) but it works. The art is wonderful, the plot intriguing from start to finish and it's deeply unsettling. His longest work, the three-volume Uzumaki, is about a town's obsession with spirals: people become variously fascinated with, terrified of, and consumed by the countless occurrences of the spiral in nature. Apart from the ghastly, convincingly-drawn deaths, the book projects an effective atmosphere of creeping fear as the town's inhabitants become less and less human, and more and more bizarre things begin to happen. First of all, there are two things that determine how much I'm gonna like a book: the beginning and the ending. the setting is kurouzu-cho, a sleepy town surrounded by mountains and hills on one side, and the sea on the other. our main protagonist is kirie goshima, a high school student, whose boyfriend shuichi saito has a bit of a depressive streak. all in all, this is still my favorite of his works, and ito is the master of this type of visual horror for me. i reread this every halloween and i still have a good time. a hundred percent recommended if you’re fan of really creepy, uncanny stuff.When it comes to horror manga, every debate has to have Junji Ito's Uzumaki as either the starting or finishing point. Drawn from 1998 to 1999, Uzumaki is a perfect example of a master at the peak of his career and proof that a visual narrative can be spooky, smart, Lovecraftian, and gory without being derivative or having to rely on clichés. Todo parece estar relacionado con una ancestral maldición que recae sobre el pueblo de manera cíclica.

Junji Ito logra algo que muy pocos son capaces de hacer y es coger algo totalmente inocuo y anodino como una espiral y con su poder hipnótico traza una historia que rebosa terror y originalidad en estado puro. Resumiendo, el dibujo y el estilo de Junji Ito me han producido auténtico pavor, sobre todo al inicio de la lectura, no sé si porque me he ido acostumbrando o simplemente se han ido suavizando hasta cierto punto, pero he llegado incluso a tener sueños muy extraños con ellos. I thoroughly enjoy horror comics, so it was a nice sideways step to slide into horror manga. Not sure I would recommend this to just anyone who was looking to get into manga, though. Spirals... this town is contaminated with spirals...Kurouzu-cho, a small fogbound town on the coast of Japan, is cursed. According to Shuichi Saito, the withdrawn boyfriend of teenager Kirie Goshima, their town is haunted not by a person or being but by a pattern: uzumaki, the spiral — the hypnotic secret shape of the world. This bizarre masterpiece of horror manga is now available in a single volume. Fall into a whirlpool of terror! No podremos ver con los mismos ojos elementos tan inofensivos como un remolino en el agua, en las nubes, o un simple caracol, los cuales nunca me habían dado asco hasta ahora.Junji Ito never satisfactorily explains why any of the spiraling creepiness is happening. Episodic chapters add up to a disjointed story of WTF-ery that never really coalesces into anything substantial. but even if it gets too hilariously outlandish (without spoiling something, consider snails), i was still laughing in horror. like, the reality of it is still frightening, even when it becomes comedic. it’s mostly due to ito’s drawings being rendered in such vivid, excruciating detail. that said, there are plenty of criticisms to be had. its format contains a lot of same-structured chapters, where every chapter introduces a Horrific Event Of The Week arc. this is followed by another (and another, and another) until everything gets progressively worse.

That synopsis sounds a bit ridiculous, doesn’t it? Yet Ito manages to make such a concept absolutely terrifying! His imagination reminds me of Clive Barkers in so many ways, I almost can’t fathom how they come up with such insane, disturbing ideas. Su punto fuerte se centra en el llamado body horror, causando nuestra repulsión al instante, apelando a aquello que más asco nos puede dar, siendo imposible no apartar la cara y sentir un ligero apretón en el estómago. I'm giving it 5 stars because I'm just assuming the translation process made the dialogue sound somewhat simplified. Maybe that's just a thing?and eventually a full-on apocalyptic situation with hotel california vibes that ensure everyone that’s still alive is there for the big showdown. Whether or not you like body horror will also definitely be a determining factor in your enjoyment level. This had the potential of being really, really creepy but unfortuantely fell extremely flat for me. The art style was terrifying and the premise of a town being haunted by a spiral was definitely intriguing; however, story-wise this just wasn't interesting at all. Besides the art, Uzumaki is a must-read classic because the chapters, which are all fragments of a very cohesive narrative, offer a wonderfully original mix of everything from body horror and adventure to survival/post-apocalyptic elements and a few Lovecraftian touches. Also, the story works as a study of the strongest human emotions. Ito takes away all fillers and delivers 20 chapters full of panic, anxiety, and paranoia. Shuichi knows what's happening, but no one will listen to him, and that turns him into a recluse who seems to spiral (no pun intended) slowly into madness out of fear and frustration. When you take all that and add the suffering of family members and the fact that the curse seems to augment every negative human trait, Uzumaki turns into the kind of horror story that works on many levels. Durante sus más de 600 páginas veremos personajes atormentados, una historia muy retorcida, y nunca mejor dicho 😉😉, y unos dibujos muy grotescos para dar forma a esta historia épica del manga de terror japonés.

Seeing his father succumb to an obsession with spirals - in shells, in water, in the air - reclusive conspiracy-theorist Shuichi Saito tries to warn of the strange influence of these spirals, but no one pays much attention to the young man. As more and more people become obsessed with the spirals, madness ensues, and a series of tragic incidents convince the townspeople that Shuichi's theories... No convincing build-up of suspense, no actual reasons for why what is happening is happening and also no compelling characters to care about throughout the story. Most chapters follow the pattern of a new character being introduced that is then instantly killed while nothing much happens to the main cast until much later. Especially the first half of this volume bored me to tears at times. The most creepy to me were the two chapters on mosquitos, because it felt like there was actual suspense, despite the utter predictability of it all. The last chapter wraps up the story so very well and gives you that sense of satisfaction which I wanna talk about but it would be a spoiler UGH I LOVED IT! Horror master Junji Ito explores a new frontier with a grand cosmic horror tale in which a mysterious woman has her way with the world!Born in Gifu Prefecture in 1963, he was inspired from a young age by his older sister's drawing and Kazuo Umezu's comics and thus took an interest in drawing horror comics himself. Nevertheless, upon graduation he trained as a dental technician, and until the early 1990s he juggled his dental career with his increasingly successful hobby — even after being selected as the winner of the prestigious Umezu prize for horror manga. The characters don't act like people. There's no clear motivation for what they do, especially staying in town. (Yeah, it's sort of explained right at the end of the book, but that explanation feels too late and too insufficient.) They don't change or grow in convincing ways, and I spent almost all of the book wanting to shake most of them. the slow, uncanny creep of horror starts when shuichi’s father discovers a new hobby: collecting examples of uzumaki, the spiral. what starts relatively innocent soon becomes a full-on obsession, and he devolves into a state where he doesn’t even go to work anymore. he just stares at spirals all day in his study, with devastating results.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment