276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America (Bryson Book 12)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

However, some readers may find the book slightly dated, as it was first published in 1991. The travel industry and the world at large have undergone significant changes since then, and certain details may no longer be accurate or relevant. It's worth noting that Bryson tends to generalize certain aspects of the countries he visits, which can be oversimplified or stereotypical at times. Bill Bryson at Stonehenge in 2003, not long after being appointed English Heritage commissioner. Photograph: Dave Caulkin/AP

Review: The Lost Continent by Bill Bryson Review: The Lost Continent by Bill Bryson

When I was growing up I used to think that the best thing about coming from Des Moines was that it meant you didn’t come from anywhere else in Iowa. By Iowa standards, Des Moines is a mecca of cosmopolitanism…. During the annual state high-school basketball tournament, when the hayseeds from out in the state would flood into the city for a week, we used to accost them downtown and snidely offer to show them how to ride an escalator or negotiate a revolving door. From the Deep South to the Wild West, from Elvis' birthplace through to Custer's Last Stand, Bryson This is one of Bryson’s earlier books, so it’s long on humor, random observations and anecdotes, and short on insight. He comes off as a lightweight Paul Theroux; however, I was in the mood for laughs and there are plenty contained here.As my father always used to tell me, 'You see, son, there's always someone in the world worse off than you.' And I always used to think, 'So?” Audio Book (Cassette). Condition: As New. 1st Edition. UNABRIDGED AUDIO BOOK The Lost Continent by Bill Bryson Read By: William Roberts Produced by Chivers Audio Books 1996 - Duration 10 Hours 30 Minutes - 8 Cassettes The author borrowed his mothers Chevrolet and travelled 13,978 miles through 38 states of the USA, a classic funny portrait of contemporary America and a poignant reminder of lost youth, brilliantly read by William Roberts. Condition: LIKE NEW NOT EX-LIBRARY - Chivers Audio Books - Complete & Unabridged - 8 Cassettes. Very Good+ Case / Like New Audio Cassettes.

The Lost Continent Summary | SuperSummary

In fact, Bryson went on to continue writing books that could be described as travel literature alongside such diverse projects as a biography of Shakespeare, a detailed investigation into the components of a domestic home and a study of the American summer of 1927. In tandem with his writing life, his roles at English Heritage and the CPRE offered him “great privileges in terms of access to some remarkable places, but also some great frustration because when you want to achieve things you run into inertia everywhere. Even before we began to reach the heights of austerity we have now, mostly there was an inability to do anything because the funding was inadequate.” He says that today there are around 20,000 listed buildings at risk and in any one year “we might save 20 or 40 or even 120, but the great bulk of them just moulder away. Society doesn’t want to pay for it.” Bryson is in Las Vegas. He gets a room in a motel 'at the cheaper end of the strip'. He explores and ends up in Caesars Palace, which impresses him due to the surroundings-moving sidewalk etc. Bill Bryson starts off by talking about the journey to his grandparent's house and the places he passes-through Prairie City, Pella etc till finally he reaches Winfield. Above all, Iowans are friendly. You go into a strange diner in the South and everything goes quiet, and you realize all the other customers are looking at you as if they are sizing up the risk involved in murdering you for your wallet and leaving your body in a shallow grave somewhere out in the swamps.He rents a room in a hotel in TimesSquare, which is so small that he can 'touch all four walls at once'. Bryson is in New Hampshire, where he says the features (churches etc) stand incongruouslyandmollify the ugliness.

Bill Bryson- The Lost Continent - English Language - Weebly Bill Bryson- The Lost Continent - English Language - Weebly

Although he had been writing magazine features in his spare time – “to get money for holidays and washing machines” – he now set about writing up a rapid-fire road trip around small-town America that he interspersed with memories of his childhood and family. So why did he adopt such a caustic tone for The Lost Continent? “I was going for the gags. I had never written a funny book before and assumed it was like doing standup. Gradually I learned that you don’t have to have a joke in every paragraph. In fact they work better if they take you by surprise.”Bryson is heading to Nebraska, however he delays his trip for a while and heads to Winterset-birthplace of John Wayne. Finally he begins his travel to Nebraska, which he calls ' pleasant'. From here he drives to Kansas, which he calls an 'agreeable place'.He ends up in Holcomb to investigate the surroundings of the Clutter murders- a case inspiring Truman Copote's book 'In Cold Blood'. Bryson is surprised that the children at the local high school do not know about the case but a teacher explains how the libraries in the area have banned the book. Bryson has a (probably well-deserved) animus toward Germany for the Holocaust and Austria for electing a former Nazi to be president - but his extreme hostility is a jarring note in what's supposed to be an entertaining romp. The book is also heavy with sexual innuendos, has numerous comments about prostitutes, describes lots of excessive drinking, and contains 'dirty' language that's off-putting in the context of a light-hearted travel story (and I'm no prude).

The Lost Continent by Bryson Bill | Goodreads The Lost Continent by Bryson Bill | Goodreads

Of course,the nature of the subject is such that many of these small towns would be rather dull.But Bryson digs up interesting tidbits and historical detail,as he does in most of his books. Travel through small-town America with Kerry Shale's popular BBC Radio 4 reading of Bill Bryson's comic travelogue. Read more Details The most mean-spirited book I've ever read. How this could have ever been published, let alone reissued twelve years later, I don't understand. I may be done with Bill Bryson. I get he has name recognition in the nonfiction world, but there are a lot of other prolific writers out there who deserve to be more widely read who don't go on road trips for the express purpose of making fun of every person they meet when they sit down to write their book. This is utterly useless on top of being nasty.Bryson is in Cooperstown where he visits the Baseball Hall of Fame, which he regards as 'close to a religious experience'. But The Lost Continent is not good. It is, in fact, an absolute bummer. I would not recommend it at any time, but especially not in these particular days of division, discord, and fear. there are three things you just can’t do in life. You can’t beat the phone company, you can’t make a waiter see you until he’s ready to see you, and you can’t go home again.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment