276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Stay Where You Are And Then Leave

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

McClements, Freya. "Is making a living just from writing books a literary fiction?". The Irish Times . Retrieved 10 January 2020. Then, while shining shoes at King's Cross Station, Alfie unexpectedly sees his father's name - on a sheaf of papers belonging to a military doctor. Bewildered and confused, Alfie realises his father is in a hospital close by - a hospital treating soldiers with an unusual condition. La historia comienza con Alfie cumpliendo 5 años y con el recuerdo de haber "despidiendo" a su padre. Four years later, something awful happens to Alfie’s father, but nobody will tell him what. The story is that he’s on a secret mission, but Alfie doesn’t believe it. By chance, whilst shining shoes at King’s Cross station, he discovers that his father is in hospital near Ipswich. What is the matter with him? What Alfie discovers is both frightening and heartbreaking. But how can he rescue his father away from this terrible place? Alfie’s Dad had always been a Dad who was very much part of his son’s life, and the little boy is bereft when his adored parent marches off to do his bit in France.

An interesting point was that each chapter was called, as I found out, a line from different songs that were popular at that time.The only things that the story could have done without were the occasional unnecessary descriptions, although I liked the way that the tale - well, the writing – seemed to be growing with Alfie. Alfie's confusion and hope that his father will return home soon are at war with his growing certainty that his father is dead... until one day in King's Cross Station , while shining the shoes of a military doctor. Alfie discovered the first real clue about what had REALLY happened to Georgie, and this discovery made his heart soar and sent him on a truly wondrous mission of his own to find his father. Despite the heavy themes surrounding World War I this children's book is surprisingly light in tone.I felt very sorry for some of the conchies, because, by refusing to fight, they got treated like selfish cowards, even though, for some of them, the reason they didn't want to fight wasn't that they were scared of dying, but that they didn't want to hurt other people. For me, the conchies were also proof that there are different kinds of bravery, and that it's not because you don't throw yourself in front of the gunshots that you're not brave.

What kind of fool wouldn't be afraid, going over to some foreign country to dig out trenches and to kill as many strangers as you could before some stranger could kill you?" (175) This incredibly moving book cleverly covers most of the different points of view of people living in England during the tragic events of the First World War. I usually don't really enjoy books about younger children, I prefer ones about teenagers. But Alfie is different: John Boyne has created a realistic, interesting young boy who has plenty of character and a courageous soul. Boyne was born in Dublin, where he still lives. His first short story was published by the Sunday Tribune and in 1993 was shortlisted for a Hennessy Literary Award. [2] [3] His B.A degree is from Trinity College Dublin in English in 1993, [4] [5] and he subsequently obtained an MA degree from the University of East Anglia. In 2015 he was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Letters from the University of East Anglia. He chaired the jury for the 2015 Scotiabank Giller Prize. [6]

It's a big world, isn't it?' said Georgie. 'Do you think they hate each other on other planets too?” Me chocó un poco leer lo crudo la vida de los soldados dentro de la guerra y fuera. John lo hace una forma sutil pero, no obstante, sigue siendo chocante. Cuenta el sufrimiento de los soldados, las familias, las personas que no quisieron ir a la guerra y aquellos que fueron desterrados por haber nacido en el país enemigo. I'm fascinated by the effect of war on children, on how they respond to the bravery, cowardice, brutality and unexpected kindnesses that mark conflicts between nations. The Absolutist and Stay Where You Are And Then Leave form two parts of what I hope will one day be a trilogy of novels relating to the Great War; just as my next children's novel – which is currently on a second draft – will complete a trilogy of war stories, after The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas and Stay, featuring young people at their centre. But a trilogy is simply a convenient term to unify the spirit of these novels. There are many more than can be written, trilogies of trilogies, for at the heart of every conflict are a thousand stories that can be told and it is just as important that we write these stories with young readers in mind as adult audiences. After all, in war adults lose their lives but children lose their parents. And what greater fear does a child have than that?

Then, while shining shoes at King's Cross Station, Alfie unexpectedly sees his father's name - on a sheaf of papers belonging to a military doctor. Bewildered and confused, Alfie realises his father is in a hospital close by - a hospital treating soldiers with an unusual condition. Alfie is determined to rescue his father from this strange, unnerving place. Stay Where You Are And Then Leave: shortlisted for Irish Book Awards Children's Book of the Year; Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis (Germany) Quedense en la trinchera y luego corran de John Bonyne es una novela súper conmovedora y llena de reflexiones. This looks like a great resource. Looking forward to using it with S2 (Scottish schools) next year. Thank you for the effort you put in to creating a thorough and exciting unit for this novel.

Share Book Reviews

I was born in Dublin, Ireland, and studied English Literature at Trinity College, Dublin, and Creative Writing at the University of East Anglia, Norwich. In 2015, I was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Letters by UEA. The book Stay Where You Are And Then Leave is about this boy named Alfie Summerfield, who’s life gets completely turned when World War I started. The fighting started the day of Alfie’s birthday. Aflie’s dad, Georgie Summerfield, gets caught up with all the excitement and joins the army. Georgie’s wife and mother are devastated, but Georgie says there's nothing to worry about, that they say the war will “be all over by Christmas.” Alfie’s dad goes off to war and he writes letters to his family from the trenches, until a couple of years later the letters stop coming. To 2014 λόγω της επετείου των 100 χρόνων από τον πρώτο παγκόσμιο πόλεμο, πολλά βιβλία κυκλοφόρησαν σχετικά με αυτό το θέμα.Ένα από αυτά είναι και το «Μείνε εκεί που είσαι και μετά φύγε» που από τη πρώτη στιγμή μου κίνησε το ενδιαφέρον όχι μόνο λόγω της περίληψης αλλά και του πολύ όμορφου εξωφύλλου. I think this is an important book, especially this year for the 100th anniversary of the start of the First World War, and if you are looking for a book to find out a bit more about the war and the people who had to live through it, then I strongly recommend this one.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment