276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Collection [DVD]

£10.5£21Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Nota bene: Долуописаната сцена не е част от никоя от историите на сър Артър Конан Дойл. Всяка прилика с фикционални лица и събития обаче е напълно преднамерена. Oh no - did I just give away a spoiler?! - forgive me my dear GR friends! You know me, I don't typically do this...but...it was part of the point I was making about the author - so I apologize for this!)

Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, a talented illustrator, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855. I have solved the case, Watson." He sat up, brushing a fried egg from the lapel of his dressing gown. "Allow me to elucidate." Watson's not wasting any time here. So we learn, in two sentences, that Holmes is: not fond of other people, ridiculously smart, kind of a drug addict, working unofficially to fight crime and, as if I couldn’t say it enough -- ridiculously smart! The Adventure of the Devil's Foot (Last Bow) - 4 starsMaybe I am just strange but I always enjoy stories that either "speak" to me or at least "surprise" me.Holmes is, in a nutshell, single-minded in his detection. In that respect, it makes sense that all emotions, particularly love, are abhorrent to his cold, precise, but admirably balanced mind. He's basically an instrument for finding out criminal stuff. I actually appreciated this, since Doyle didn't risk all the soap opera-ish entanglements that make long-running serials hard to follow without a map. He conceived each of his stories as both united by Holmes' character, and yet still potentially interesting to people who had never read any other of his stories. English breakfast“ например. За интереса на дамата към този тип четива можем да предположим по ритмичното и относително бавно отгръщане на страниците – твърде вероятно става въпрос за препрочитане на абзаци или просто за бавно наслаждаване на текста. Като се замисля може да бъде и някой слабоумен клетник със странни гастрономически навици… Но по-добре е да се придържаме към първоначалното ми предположение. Starring one of radio's great double acts, Clive Merrison and Michael Williams, as Holmes and Watson, and with guest stars including Brian Blessed, Judi Dench, Maurice Denham, Andrew Sachs, Peter Davison, Robert Glenister and Harriet Walter, this definitive collection contains over 48 hours of enthralling listening. Looking more closely, except for the novellas, A Study in Scarlet and The Valley of Fear, the unadapted, weaker episodes could be found in the last three volumes of the Holmes’ books. I became curious which of the Holmes stories did not get adapted and found a list at the bottom of the Wikipedia entry below.

Finally, something that surprised me was how brief the appearance of Professor Moriarty was, as I was expecting it to be much stronger since he's deemed to be Holmes's nemesis. I have no idea how I let myself get so long in the tooth before finally settling down and reading this collection. Suffice to say I am glad I finally came to my senses. Conan Doyle fathered five children. Two with his first wife—Mary Louise (28 January 1889 – 12 June 1976), and Arthur Alleyne Kingsley, known as Kingsley (15 November 1892 – 28 October 1918). With his second wife he had three children—Denis Percy Stewart (17 March 1909 – 9 March 1955), second husband in 1936 of Georgian Princess Nina Mdivani (circa 1910 – 19 February 1987; former sister-in-law of Barbara Hutton); Adrian Malcolm (19 November 1910–3 June 1970) and Jean Lena Annette (21 December 1912–18 November 1997). The author, John Le Carre wrote in November 14, 2006, as he reviewed the 150th printing of this edition, “Dr. Watson doesn’t write to you, he talks to you, with Edwardian courtesy, across a glowing fire. His voice has no barriers or affections. It is clear, energetic and decent, the voice of a tweedy, no-nonsense colonial Britisher at ease with himself.”Now, I won't even try to review so much material, as the stories are many and vary widely. All I can say is that I enjoyed the whole collection in general, specially the novels, but then I'm not that keen a reader of tales and short stories. My overall rating is 4.5 stars for the entire bind up. I do list each story and my rating individually, as well as my average rating for each collection.* I really liked the experience and I am proud of this accomplishment. My first time to read a canon. Before reading this, I thought that the word canon only applied to biblical works. Well, that was the first thing I learned upon adding this book in my currently-reading folder. Selected items are only available for delivery via the Royal Mail 48® service and other items are available for delivery using this service for a charge.

That any civilized human being in this nineteenth century should not be aware that the earth travelled round the sun appeared to be to me such an extraordinary fact that I could hardly realize it. We can discuss that once we are on the train," replied Holmes firmly. And, true to his word, he said no more until we were comfortably ensconced in the First Class carriage of the Dover Express. Also included is a bonus interview with Adrian Conan Doyle about his father, Sir Arthur, and some fascinating behind-the-scenes revelations from the series' head writer, Bert Coules, about the making of the radio adaptations. I was recently asked by my GR friend Colin, “what novel had the most impact on you in your teens/early twenties?” I am new to audiobooks. There is a certain point in the evenings where my eyes tire and I have no interest in watching TV, so these audiobooks keep me company in the watches of the night. I also take them to bed where they help me drop off to sleep. I know the stories so well that I don't have to worry that I will miss anything important.

But I was also growing into a modern girl, one who had big ideas about becoming someone, and doing something big in this world. Conan Doyle's house, Undershaw, located in Hindhead, south of London, where he had lived for a decade, had been a hotel and restaurant between 1924 and 2004. It now stands empty while conservationists and Conan Doyle fans fight to preserve it. Having been a fan of these stories and the main characters for years, I'd like to make two observations:

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment