276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Angela Lansbury's Positive Moves: My Personal Plan for Fitness and Well-Being

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

McQuillan, Rebecca (October 12, 2022). "Obituary: Angela Lansbury, Gifted Actress Whose Success Ranged Across Stage, Film and Television". The Herald. Archived from the original on January 26, 2023 . Retrieved January 26, 2023. In 1983, Lansbury was offered two main television roles, one in a sitcom and the other in a detective drama series, Murder, She Wrote. As she was unable to do both, her agents advised her to accept the former, although Lansbury chose the latter. [131] Her decision was based on the appeal of the series' central character, Jessica Fletcher, a retired school teacher from the fictional town of Cabot Cove, Maine. As portrayed by Lansbury, Fletcher was a successful detective novelist who also solved murders encountered during her travels. [132] Lansbury described the character as "an American Miss Marple". [133] The Importance of Being Earnest Stage Reading 2019". November 15, 2019. Roundabout Theatre Company, 5 March 2019.

Fourth Street Chekov Theatre / City Center / The New York Public Library Theatre Collection / The Shakespearewrights / The Threepenny Opera (1956)Dame Angela Brigid Lansbury DBE (October 16, 1925 – October 11, 2022) was a British-American-Irish actress and singer. In a career spanning eighty years, she played various roles across film, stage, and television. Although based for much of her life in the United States, her work attracted international attention. In 2013, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Board of Governors voted to bestow upon Lansbury an Honorary Academy Award for her lifetime achievements in the industry. The actors Emma Thompson and Geoffrey Rush offered tributes at the Governors Awards where the ceremony was held, and Robert Osborne of Turner Classic Movies presented her with the Oscar, stating that "Angela has been adding class, talent, beauty, and intelligence to the movies" since 1944. [259] The Oscar statue is inscribed: "To Angela Lansbury, an icon who has created some of cinema's most memorable characters inspiring generations of actors". [260] Publications [ edit ] Miller, Bruce R. (May 12, 2018). "Review: Angela Lansbury Steals Little Women from Younger Actresses". Sioux City Journal. Archived from the original on May 18, 2018 . Retrieved May 17, 2018. Bonanno 1987, pp.42–44, 49–51; Edelman & Kupferberg 1996, pp.95–97; Gottfried 1999, pp.103–105, 111–112. In 1966, Lansbury took on the title role of Mame Dennis in the musical Mame, Jerry Herman's musical adaptation of the 1955 novel Auntie Mame. The director's first choice for the role had been Rosalind Russell, who played Mame in the 1958 non-musical film adaptation, but she had declined. Lansbury actively sought the role in the hope that it would mark a change in her career. When she was chosen, it came as a surprise to theatre critics, who believed that the part would go to a better-known actress; Lansbury was 41 years old, and it was her first starring role. [73] Mame Dennis was a glamorous character, with over 20 costume changes throughout the play, and Lansbury's role involved ten songs and dance routines for which she trained extensively. [74] First appearing in Philadelphia and then Boston, Mame opened at the Winter Garden Theatre on Broadway in May 1966. [75] Auntie Mame was already popular among the gay community, [76] and Mame gained Lansbury a cult gay following, something that she later attributed to the fact that Mame Dennis was "every gay person's idea of glamour... Everything about Mame coincided with every young man's idea of beauty and glory and it was lovely." [77]

Lansbury was a cousin of the Postgate family, including the animator and activist Oliver Postgate. [222] She was also a cousin of the novelist Coral Lansbury, whose son Malcolm Turnbull was Prime Minister of Australia from 2015 to 2018. [223] Lansbury photographed in 2013 Li, David K. (October 11, 2022). "Angela Lansbury, Murder, She Wrote and Beauty and the Beast star, dies at 96". NBC News. Archived from the original on October 11, 2022 . Retrieved October 15, 2022. McConnell, Daniel (January 12, 2014). "Irish Cabinet gave Green Light to Angela Lansbury's Dame Honour". Irish Independent. Dublin. Archived from the original on May 9, 2016 . Retrieved April 24, 2016.

How did Angela Lansbury die?

On September 27, 1945, Lansbury married Richard Cromwell, an artist and decorator whose acting career had come to a standstill. Their marriage was troubled; Cromwell was gay, and had married Lansbury in the unsuccessful hope that it would turn him heterosexual. Lansbury filed for divorce within a year, it being granted on September 11, 1946, but they remained friends until his death. [28] In December 1946, she was introduced to fellow English expatriate Peter Pullen Shaw at a party held by former co-star Hurd Hatfield in Ojai Valley. Shaw was an aspiring actor, also signed to MGM, and had recently left a relationship with Joan Crawford. He and Lansbury became a couple, living together before she proposed marriage. [29] They wanted a wedding in Britain, but the Church of England refused to marry two divorcees. Instead, they wed at St. Columba's Church, a place of worship under the jurisdiction of the Church of Scotland, in Knightsbridge, London, in August 1949, followed by a honeymoon in France. [30] Returning to the US, they settled into Lansbury's home in Rustic Canyon, Malibu. [31] In 1951, the couple both became naturalized US citizens, albeit retaining their British citizenship via dual nationality. [32] Lansbury in a scene from MGM's Till the Clouds Roll By (1946), one of her earliest film appearances Kelley, Bill (July 5, 1986). "Liberty Receives Classical Salute". Sun Sentinel. Archived from the original on February 23, 2015 . Retrieved January 3, 2016.

Murder, She Wrote" Star Angela Lansbury Dies at 96". CBS News. October 11, 2022. Archived from the original on October 11, 2022 . Retrieved October 11, 2022. Bausch & Lomb Optical Company / Danny Kaye / Kemp Niver / Greta Garbo / Jon Whiteley / Vincent Winter / Gate of Hell (1954)Shenton, Mark (April 12, 2015). "Angela Lansbury Wins First Olivier Award; Sunny Afternoon Named Best New Musical & Wins 3 More Awards". Playbill. Archived from the original on April 15, 2015 . Retrieved January 3, 2016. Sexuality: Take a bath with soft towels and fragrant oils. Angela tells us: “Femininity and sexuality go hand in hand. They used to think women lose interest in sex after menopause, but now we know it’s not true.” Angela tells us how to keep romance in life, and that it’s important for a woman to maintain a mystery about herself at any age. “A woman of loveliness and dignity feels good and know she’s looking her best. She can continue to get attention as a feminine, sexual person.” Bonanno 1987, pp.51, 53, 56–57; Edelman & Kupferberg 1996, pp.107–108; Gottfried 1999, pp.114–115, 124–125.

In Ireland, our gardener] had no idea who I was. Nobody there did. I was just Mrs. Shaw, which suited me down to the ground. I had absolute anonymity in those days, which was wonderful. A small number of people have seen me on the stage. [Television] is a chance for me to play to a vast U.S. public, and I think that's a chance you don't pass up... I'm interested in reaching everybody. I don't want to reach just the people who can pay forty-five or fifty dollars for a [theatre] seat.Oliver, Myrna (December 8, 2005). "Howard Gotlieb, 79; Archivist Collected Personal Papers of Notables of the 20th Century". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on January 3, 2016 . Retrieved January 3, 2016. Shales, Tom (May 19, 1996). " Murder, They Wrote Off; A 'Grave Error' by CBS Killed Her Show, Leaving Angela Lansbury to Play A Bittersweet Finale". The Washington Post. Archived from the original on January 26, 2023 . Retrieved January 26, 2023. Angela Lansbury, iconic star of stage and screen, died on Tuesday at the age of 96. Because the world is good sometimes, she was properly lauded during her life, gathering six Tony Awards, six Golden Globes, an Olivier, an Academy Honorary Award, and nominations for three Oscars, 18 Emmys, and a Grammy for her achievements. Over her very long career, she endeared herself to everyone from children (see: her comforting vocal performance as Mrs. Potts in Disney’s Beauty and the Beast) to grandmothers (and grandmothers at heart) through her 12-season run on Murder, She Wrote. I was a wife and a mother, and I was completely fulfilled. But my husband recognised the signals in me which said 'I've been doing enough gardening, I've cooked enough good dinners, I've sat around the house and mooned about what more interior decoration I can get my fingers into.' It's a curious thing with actors and actresses, but suddenly the alarm goes off. My husband is a very sensitive person to my moods and he recognised the fact that I had to get on with something. Mame came along out of the blue just at this time. Now isn't that a miracle?.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment