276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Verse, Chorus, Monster!: Graham Coxon

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Unica luce portante e piena di senso è l’amore appassionato e travolgente per la musica e l’arte grafica, amore che lo possiede totalmente, abitandone sogni, notti, risvegli e incubi, e le cui ispirazioni (come certi riff e strofe musicali e alcune immagini e pareidolie) giungono da un altrove non identificabile e lo costringono con urgenza insopprimibile a rielaborare le arie su uno strumento o a disegnarne le tracce e le emozioni come temporanea pausa dall’ansia. It's a simultaneously beautiful, dark, sweet and warts n all account of the life of a regular bloke with an irregular talent, thrust fairly reluctantly into the murky morass of fame and the excesses of the 90s music industry. The book indicates that love in the 90s is paranoid, but friendship in the 90s was closed off from emotional expressiveness, to Coxon’s detriment. It reflects nicely on his equally loud and bombastic social life during the heyday of Blur and within its reunion, the personal highs and lows of a man whose influence and talent far exceeds the modest appraisal he presents throughout.

fame and fortune during the Britpop era; and his departure from Blur in 2002, before their eventual reconciliation for a triumphant comeback tour seven years later. The alcoholism and anxiety he has suffered throughout are well studied and at times, Coxon delves into doling out advice in regards of mental health, but always in the way that it is him reminding himself to enjoy what he has.It was a really enjoyable show that took place in a pre 'broken Britain', pre Brexit London - a city that already seems to have vanished. When Coxon talks about things that touch him, whether it be guitar pedals, painting, his road to sobriety, or motor bikes, his passion makes itself known in his writing.

Coxon comes across as a lovely bloke with a voracious appetite and passion for new sounds and words that I wish I could have a chat to and bond over music, films and books. He was fairly quiet in my often watched video copy of Starshaped, compared to the two floppy haired running attractive flirts. I think that it is Graham's right - as well as being essential for his mental health - to 'hold back' information that does not add anything to that basic premise. There were also many times throughout the book where I felt he skimmed over any of his own short-comings and the impact that he may have had on situations instead I felt he chose to quietly point the finger at whoever the other person was without directly saying so.As someone who's gone back and watched various interviews with him again and again, I'm the book's target audience. Someone else wrote in their review that they ended up liking him less after reading the book and I know exactly what they mean. What I'm saying is, "Graham Coxon's story gives me a bit of hope and that's definitely coloring my review. As a recovering alcoholic, part of the 12 Step Process is to accept responsibility for your part in relationship difficulties, whether those be romantic, friendships or business colleagues, and make amends for any pain caused by your drinking.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment