276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Eagle Annual: The Best of the 1950s Comic

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Eagle continued to be published through the 1960s, under a succession of editors (Morris was succeeded by his deputy, Clifford Makins). Regular changes in emphasis, including an increasing number of features on contemporary music and sport, were not enough to ensure the comic's continued survival. Although in 1961 its circulation was still about 500,000, under IPC, then Eagle 's owners, [nb 11] the comic suffered a drastic fall in quality. The centre spreads were replaced with the historically inaccurate "Last of The Saxon Kings", and letters of complaint poured in to the comic. Within months the comic's circulation fell to 150,000, and continued to drop. [58] By 1966 it was in decline. [51] IPC continued production until the comic's last issue, on 26April 1969, [55] by which time circulation had dwindled to an unprofitable 40,000. [59] Just short of its 1,000th edition, the comic was merged with its rival, IPC's Lion. [24] The Eagle Annual Number 1 was launched in 1951 for the year 1952, building on the success of the comic which had been launched in the April of the previous year. Ian reveals he was born too late in the 1950’s to enjoy the Eagle Annual when first published, so his introduction to them was as a set of hand-me-down copies from an older cousin.

Gill, Alan (8 August 1989), How Eagle brought Christianity to the newsstands, The Sydney Morning Herald, p.14 , retrieved 25 June 2010The same could more or less be said for Dan Dare's Space Annual 1963 except for less apparent Bellamy influence. Also the starscape looks a bit sparse - Frank tended to add in lots of extra details in his colour starscapes instead of just plain white dots - especially on large pieces like covers. Publishers had for decades kept largely to the same format, which typically concentrated on a contemporary figure involved in some unfortunate event, who then emerged unscathed, as a hero.

a b c d The Eaglution of British Comics (part 1) by Michael Carroll, 26 May 2018. Article featuring a chart showing which comics were merged with Eagle, with the dates they were founded and merged. Retrieved 27 May 2018. Now to save myself further embarrassment I joined in and Techno Delic had to repeat himself as I missed the pertinent point the first time! But this is what I said: Morris, Sally; Hallwood, Jan (1998), Living With Eagles: Marcus Morris, Priest and Publisher, Cambridge: The Lutterworth Press, ISBN 978-0-7188-2982-7 a b c A Tribute to Frank Hampson 1918–1985, tameside.gov.uk, 12 September 2007 , retrieved 24 June 2010

Navigation

Sources disagree on the precise date on which Hampson left the comic, and therefore this article remains ambiguous on the subject.

Nicholls, Peter; Clute, John (1999), The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction, London: Orbit, ISBN 978-1-85723-897-6 It has to be readily conceded, this Dan Dare illustration is especially difficult to attribute. While I’d take aThe character of Dare is described by author Ann Lawson Lucas as embodying "many of the qualities associated with the male hero of nineteenth-century boys' adventure stories, while displaying others which arise from the ideological discourses of postwar Britain". [35] Authors Dudley Jones and Tony Watkins describe Dare as being part of the "'powerful sense of beleaguered hope' that characterised not only the campaign against horror comics but other aspects of British post-war culture". [36] Eagle managed to avoid the problems caused by the countrywide paper shortage, by absorbing the quotas of other publications. [31] Learn illustration of Captain James Cook’s coming ashore. Forgive me for assuming nobody else has asked Lion was merged with Valiant in 1974, Valiant in turn was merged with Battle Picture Weekly in 1976, and finally Battle was merged into the revived Eagle in 1988. [5] In a sense, the new Eagle was descended from the old. In an attempt to emulate the success that Fleetway had had with girls' magazines, the relaunched Eagle initially contained a large number of photo stories such as Doomlord, Sgt. Streetwise, Manix and Walk or Die, but this style was soon replaced by the more traditional comic-strip format. Other stories included Bloodfang, The House of Daemon, Computer Warrior and Detective ZED.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment