276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Keep It in the Family

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Young couple Mia and Finn are excited to buy their first home, even though it has been empty for some time and needs lots of work. Whilst renovating the house, Mia discovers a message carved into the skirting boards – “I WILL SAVE THEM FROM THE ATTIC”. When she decides to investigate, what she discovers is truly horrific – but that proves just to be the beginning of the nightmare … Public announcement: I think we may have just found my new favourite book of 2022! And I'm so happy that it's by the brilliant John Marrs, cementing his place as one of my favourite authors! Another trope I can’t stand is when the woman who can’t have kids, magically gets pregnant when she’s been trying for ages and now she stops trying, suddenly it happens. This is way too played out.

Even once you feel like the main plot and secret has been revealed there's still 25% of the book left and the author just slings more at you from all corners until your mind kindly asks for it to be over with. The story. What unfolds is pretty silly(and nasty). A ludicrous premise, we have twist and turns that add nothing to the story and don’t misdirect as it was obvious to me from very early on what was going on. John Marrs is a favourite author for many, I'd only read The One previously so was eager to read more. Mia and Finn buy an abandoned house that has been empty for forty years. Mia is pregnant and they live with Finn’s parents, Debbie and Dave, and it has been a nightmare for Mia. She can’t wait to move on. Debbie can rightfully be called a freak-in-law. While renovating, they discover bodies hidden in the attic. Mia has an accident that causes her to give birth early and they stay with her in-laws indefinitely. This is a VERY watered down summary. The actual events are much more complex and complicated!One minor irritation is that I figured out a lot of the twists from the get-go. I can’t even hint as to why I was able to figure them out, because I’m sure other readers would too. However, I was pleasantly surprised by some surprises towards the end that I definitely didn’t see coming.

Secrecy shrouds the mystery of the attic, but when shards of a dark truth start to emerge, Mia realises the danger is terrifyingly present. She is prepared to do anything to protect her family—but is it already too late? After Mia gives birth, and unable to sell the house, she becomes hyper focused on the crimes committed within the house. Something is incredibly off about the family she has married into, but what? Does her mum in law have something to do with the crimes? Or maybe it's her father in law? Or could it be her husband? John Marrs is an amazing author that consistently writes 5 star novels which in itself is fantastic but what I admire also is the fact that all his books are so different and this latest one is no exception. This review will purposely be a bit vague because I feel like readers need to know in not knowing much abut it. You will want to be surprised by all the dark and twisty things this book has headed your way.Mia's obsession has her seeking out families and attending funerals, where one in particular she befriends a mother and daughter. Mia spots a photo with someone very familiar that only leads to more questions. Thank you to Thomas & Mercer and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. Expected Publication Date: 10/18/22.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment