276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Hide: The book you need after Squid Game

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

As I kept reading, this novel just drags on to the point of it being a complete snoozefest. I’m not sure why this is even considered to be a horror novel as it doesn’t have anything scary, crazy, or terrifying enough to keep you up at night. This felt more like a sci-fi/young adult novel than horror. Yeah, there are some parts that dabble in horror but it’s not fully fleshed out enough to scar you as it typically should. I thought the few scary situations in this one were very lame. When it comes to White’s writing style in this novel, I didn’t like it at all. The chapters are done in days and felt like various, out-of-place, random mini-stories within those chapters from the POV of characters as events happened. These mini-stories just ended out of nowhere then right onto the next random person. Overall: with less characters, this would be so much fun but it was still great try and I enjoyed it till the end. I hope Kiersten White writes more adult horror novels. She absolutely killed it! Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I enjoyed the suspense and thrills, appreciated that I was never genuinely scared, and was pleasantly surprised by the depth and complexity of the story’s main characters.

Hide: The Graphic Novel by Kiersten White | Goodreads

To start out with, there are WAY too many characters (fourteen!) to keep straight. They are first and often identified by their "identities"-ie "intern" "writer" etc. Then we get names and identities sometimes used interchangeably. When I got to the middle of the book, I wished I would have kept a chart from the beginning, but in the end many of the characters were totally throwaway so it didn't really matter. White pulls no punches in this brilliantly executed thrill ride. Every twist and turn horrified and delighted me in equal measure.” —Erin A. Craig, New York Times bestselling author of House of Salt and SorrowsWhen I say I loved Hide I mean I loved it, the story, the characters, the setting, it was one of those books that stayed with me, made me buy a physical copy to annotate, and kept looking for news about it. The graphic novel took it to another level and gave me so much more of an experience. An enthralling, high-energy thriller . . . White proves she has a finger on the pulse of millennial horror. Publishers Weekly, Starred Review however, despite my apprehension about its supernatural foes and societal woes, i was completely won over. the social commentary wasn't too heavy-handed and was well-integrated into the architecture of the story, and the beastie proved just as good as a human adversary at satisfying my bloodthirsty little readersoul. it helped that—precision be damned—i just pictured the red bull from The Last Unicorn.

Kiersten White Kiersten White

It’s likely that most of Kiersten White’s readers have known from the beginning just what she’s capable of. However, I don’t think any of us could have expected that she would churn out such a dark and gutting social commentary for her adult debut, and she would do it so well. Hide hit me like a punch in the gut. I was absolutely floored by the sheer magnitude of the story and the pace at which it unfolded, coupled with a writing style that I feel, as a reader, I have had the privilege to watch grow into what it is now. Kiersten White possesses a stunning grasp of her craft, and has yet again delivered a novel I’ll remember for the rest of my life. I have to admit, seeing some of the scenes in here was intense! If you remember there was quite a bit of violence in this one! Seeing even the violent scenes was a little intense. Lol. And of course if you’ve read the book, you’ll remember what’s hunting them and seeing that was the stuff of nightmares! A high-stakes hide-and-seek competition turns deadly in this dark supernatural thriller, perfect for fans of SQUID GAME. Fourteen competitors, the list is approved, seven days in an abandoned amusement park, cell-free zone, sleeping outside is part of the game, a cash prize, houses of fun and terror. It's a "horror reality show". White is a writer of young-adult fiction covering a variety of genres (fantasy, historical fiction, paranormal); she also wrote a middle-grade novel of funny fairy tales.Now normally I'd do some reel or graphic but this cover is just everything and I'll leave it at that. People pretend things aren’t wrong, even when they can feel the truth, because they’re too afraid of what it means to look right at the horror, right at the wrongness, to face the truth in all its terrible glory. Like little kids, playing hide-and-seek. If they can’t see the monster, it can’t get them. But it can. It always can. And while you aren’t looking, it’s eating everyone around you.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment