276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Disciplines of a Godly Man (Updated Edition): With Studyguide

£6.995£13.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Published by Crossway Books, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers, 1300 Crescent Street, Wheaton, Illinois 60187.

Not only did I play at a high level, I learned that personal discipline is the indispensable key for accomplishing anything in this life. I have since come to understand even more that it is, in fact, the mother and handmaiden of what we call genius. EXAMPLES Death: "Is this a grim gallows call? Not at all! It is no more grim than dying to self and following Christ... This can mean death to our rights, our time, or our perceived pleasures - all liberating deaths." Absolutely. Virtually on every one of them. There are some that maybe I'm doing a little better at than others, and I won't say what I think they are because God will hold me responsible for my pride! This updated edition of a bestselling classic by a seasoned pastor aims to empower men to take seriously the call to godliness and direct their energy toward the things that matter most.

urn:lcp:isbn_9780891078180:epub:8bfc2732-b0f7-48de-b38a-8d838d8a1212 Foldoutcount 0 Identifier isbn_9780891078180 Identifier-ark ark:/13960/t0qr5x59j Isbn 0891078185 These [sic] are a parable of what ought to be the loving husband's elevating effect on his wife. He is to be a man of the Word who lives a godly life, praying and sacrificing for his wife. His authentic spirituality is meant to buoy her onward and upward toward the image of Christ. The man who sanctifies his wife understands that this is his divinely ordained responsibility. [pg. 52] Generally, I think a resolution is setting yourself up for failure, but it doesn't mean you ought not to make a resolution. There are people that make a resolution after the holidays to lose fifty pounds, and they do. A lot of them fail. But without the resolution, they wouldn't lose it, right? One of the things that I would say is that we tend to make extreme resolutions. For instance, I would rather have someone say to me, I'm going to read the Bible all the way through next year. I would say, No, why don't you read the Gospels all the way through next year and think about it as you read it. There's nothing in the Bible that says you have to read the Scriptures through once a year. I think it's a great habit, a lot of people do it, but I would say do something that's manageable that you won't fail at. Does that make sense? The best contemporary book of spiritual guidance I’ve read in a long time. Usually for this type of food I have to look for a book that is at least seventy-five years old. This book is a surprising exception. And it has the added advantage of being very relevant to specific needs in today’s world.” - Ajith Fernando, Teaching Director, Youth for Christ, Sri Lanka; author, Discipling in a Multicultural World

Discipline is a subject about which the Scriptures say much—but contemporary authors have been peculiarly silent. Kent Hughes fills a gaping void with this superb volume. You’ll be challenged and encouraged as you read. And if there is a spark of spiritual desire in your soul, this book will surely kindle it into a blazing passion for godly discipline. Another dominant thread in the apostle’s letters seems to be all the more relevant today: Those captured by grace leave behind all boasting in self. And they know that what they say reveals who they are (Luke 6:45). They tremble over the consequences of sentences. They work to make their words a deeper and fuller well of grace. Seven Lessons for What We Say The applications of the principles seemed unnecessarily wooden, so the group was able to wrestle with how to apply each discipline with wisdom.

Right. My formula—this is for free—you need to be reading or listening to the word of God everyday. I'm not going to say how much. You need to have some section of Scripture that you are meditating on during that time, whether it's the beatitudes, the Lord's prayer, the book of Philippians, the ten commandments—it's endless—Psalm 19, Psalm 119, Psalm 1, Psalm 84, Psalm 32, Psalm 40—you understand what I'm saying. You need to be meditating on those things and knowing them. The other thing is you need to be in church on the Lord's Day listening to the word of God preached. Let me explain one of the reasons why, and this is a football thing. Let's say I'm watching Monday Night Football and a play takes place and it looks like voodoo to me; I can't figure out what happens. There’s Al Michaels and Chris Collinsworth. Chris stops the screen, draws some arrows, says, This is what happened. I go, Oh! That's how it works! What happens on the Lord's Day when you sit under the preaching of the word is the pastor puts it in slow motion so you can be going, Oh! I see how that works. I see the logic of that. That makes sense to me. If you are reading or listening to the word of God on a regular basis, studying some section on your own and then taking notes on the Lord's Day, you can be filled with the word of God. In the Reformation, they said there were three functions of the church: the Lord's Table, church discipline, and listening to the word of God. Those are the functions that the Reformation said the church gave you for your spiritual health. You cannot absent yourself from the regular worship with God's people on the Lord's Day. 29:00 - “I Am Awful and Wonderful” The first and most important lesson for our speech, especially in the context of Paul’s two letters to Timothy, is that we speak what is true about God and his word. The clear and immediate context of 1 Timothy 4:12 is teaching: How can we escape the power of materialism? By giving from a heart overflowing with God’s grace, like the believers in Macedonia who “gave themselves first to the Lord” ( 2 Cor. 8:5): this is where grace giving must begin. Giving disarms the power of money. Though giving should be regular, it should also be spontaneous and responsive to needs. And it should be joyous—“God loves a cheerful giver” ( 2 Cor. 9:7). And Jesus said, “It is more blessed to give than to receive” ( Acts 20:35). David's look became a sinful stare and then a burning libidinous, sweaty leer. "At this moment God... loses all reality... Satan does not fill us with hatred of God, but with forgetfulness of God." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer Discipline for godliness -- Discipline of purity -- Discipline of marriage -- Discipline of fatherhood -- Discipline of friendship -- Discipline of mind -- Discipline of devotion -- Discipline of prayer -- Discipline of worship -- Discipline of integrity -- Discipline of tongue -- Discipline of work -- Discipline of church -- Discipline of leadership -- Discipline of giving -- Discipline of witness -- Discipline of ministry -- Grace of discipline

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment