276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Dancing Bear

£3.495£6.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Michael Morpurgo has a talent for making his animals come to life, he makes us wish we too could have a bear as our friend.

In November 2016 Michael Morpurgo won the J M Barrie Award for his contribution to children’s literature.This award is given every year by Action for Children’s Arts to a “children’s arts practitioner” whose lifetime’s work has delighted children and will stand the test of time. In 1994, HARIBO took the final step to fully acquire Dunhills. It set about revolutionising the UK’s sweets market and went on to create its own unique mixes, bringing family favourites together in one bag to create what have become the UK’s most popular sweets. And the thing is, I loved many of Michael Morpurgo's other books - especially Kaspar Prince of Cats. His writing was simple enough to understand and follow, and the animals in these books were not vilified or used simply for comedic purposes. I liked that about them.

I LOVE Michael Morpurgo stories. As a kid, I used to read so many of his books. I took part in a handwriting competition at primary school and ended up winning a signed book by him 🙂 This book is wonderful to read as it’s written from someone else’s point of view looking on at Roxanne and Bruno’s relationship. It would be great to read with a Key Stage 2 class, the story is short, captivating and has a grown up edge with serious subject matters. It is easy to read and has beautiful charcoal illustrations which capture the story wonderfully. Armistice Day: A Collection of Remembrance - Spark Interest and Educate Children about Historical Moments It was sad. I would recommend it to someone else because it’s a short book, easy to read and happy and sad at the same time.

This was an interesting story and we didn’t want to believe that Roxanne would ever leave Bruno. I suppose we are used to cats and dogs, smaller animals which you can take with you if you move house or go on holiday. A bear is a different creature and we were both a bit upset how the story ended! I don’t want to give what happens to Roxanne and Bruno but we would totally recommend this book if you love animals and a great story. If you want to read this book then I have a couple of activity sheets which will help you explore the story. However, where most of Michael Murpurgo's books are bittersweet, and especially Kaspar, there was still that sweetness. This sense of a satisfying conclusion that was to be expected, however sad it might have been. Kaspar had gone through so much, knew so much, and he was simply ready to retire. But the bear? And every other character in "The Dancing Bear?" the bear can dance, but when the director meets Roxanne he asks her if she would like to act and sing with him. Roxanne decides to go, so she gets a trusted villager to look after the bear she leavesIt's sad. As are all Morpurgo's books at times, but this is intended for younger, beginning readers, so quite a brave move to write the tale this way. It certainly covers points about stardom, contemporary aspirations and friendship with as much depth as books ten times its length. The Joanna Newsom song “Monkey & Bear” concerns a bear named Ursala who is deceived by the Monkey into dancing for children. Welcome to the gingerbread house blog. I'm Jenny, London mum of a teen and a tween. Bookworm, craft and family lifestyle blogger, occasional baker of gingerbread. In The Simpsons episode “ Marge on the Lam,” Homer Simpson and Lenny Leonard both misremember ballet as “the bear in the little car.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment