276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Inmate: A gripping psychological thriller

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Perhaps my expectations were set too high for this title, and I look forward to listening to this author's future releases. While I still struggled with some inconsistencies, partially predicted the reveal, and didn’t love the open ending, a few surprises along the way helped raise my rating to a 3.5. While this is a true 3.5 star book for me, Goodreads forces me to round one way or the other, so I will give this one the benefit of the doubt since I mostly enjoyed it. There's zero character developm The basic scenario of this story is captivating enough: A boy named Max was kidnapped, and the police are sure that Guido K., a pedophilic serial torturer and kier of children is responsible for the boy's disappearance. However, Guido, who was previously judged insane (because ""voices " told him to commit his vicious acts. As sometimes happens in these types of situations, one of Max's arents, his father, fees guilt about the abduction, as he let Max go outside when he wasn't being watched by either parent.

If you’re used to her books or her style it may be a bit predictable, but under any circumstance less enjoyable! This sort of felt like an early 90s-Lifetime movie. Now, let me be clear, I love a good Lifetime movie now and again. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Lifetime movies. Please don't come at me. Also, some of the plot points were just insane. Margie/Pamela helps her kid murder all of these people over the span of ELEVEN years and then just casually gives it all up just because her son died? When the grandson is still alive??? A very loose plot, too many coincidences, a dumb protagonist, this whole book would have not existed if Brooke just used two of her brain cells Characters flit from place to place to serve the plot. Conversational exchanges happen that would NEVER happen in real life. Though the chapters are short and I was still able to blow through this in a few days, it was somewhat of a torturous experience. I kept wanting there to be emotional depth, surprising reveals, ANYTHING to make it make sense and make it seem like the plot was truly going somewhere interesting... but that never happened.Explain to me, how, if Shane was murdering upstairs, you smelled sandalwood on your strangler? Or that the strangler felt heavy and bulky on you? Is this a case of an 'unreliable memory' after a traumatic event? Or is this a case of dumb teenager in the wild? Loved the first half of the book! But the ending just came apart at the seams. Endless explanation as to why and how the kidnapping happened. To the point I just wanted to scream “enough already”! Just too much! Thank you to St. Martin’s Press for providing an arc via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Macmillan Audio, St. Martin’s Press, and NetGalley who provided me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All the thoughts and opinions are my own. Go along with Brooke and her son on a journey of self discovery and healing. Sometimes, even without redemption, something can be worth keeping.

Both Shane and Billy date the daughters of the people their parents had an affair with and then attempt to kill them, but only right after deflowering them, of course. And rather than just kill the daughters (Brooke and Sidney), they go ahead and up the body count because hey, why not? Sebastian Fitzek has been one of my favourite authors since reading Therapy many years ago. That one book turned into purchasing all his books without bothering to read the descriptions, counting down the days til his new books are released and messaging him on social media to beg him to re-release his older books in English. Sorry, not sorry..! Fingers are pointing galore! The two men hate each other and each tells her to be weary of the other. Along the lines, Brooke really gets confused. She begins to wonder if her testimony put the right man in jail. She’s sure of it, and then she’s not. She never did saw the actual face of the one who tried to kill her all those years ago! She never saw the murderer that night at all, the one who killed her friends. Was she right about Brandon? Wrong about Tim? Things are really confusing about both their present behaviors and the details of their personalities and present actions. The only way of finding the truth was to get into the mental asylum and get the truth out of Tramnitz, but Till did not know what he was getting into.The premise of the story was interesting and some of the individual scenes were quite frightening which I enjoyed along with the short sharp chapters to help build that sense of time and suspense. This was a bit better than previous books I've read by this author, but I'm not really sure she's for me. The Prisoner, while exciting at first, was really predictable and didn't really offer me anything unique or surprising.

If you think you have read books similar to this story, remember, Fritzek doesn't "DO" boring; he is the master of creator of original, thrilling, and cativating mysteries! I enjoyed the short chapters that helped move the book along at a nice pace. The two timelines were also enjoyable and kept me invested. The book started strong and instantly grabbed my attention and had me wanting to know more. It was obvious from the beginning, that her husband was not the nicest of fellows, and I wanted to know more of his motivation and why both were taken.Telemundo International Studios Launches Its First Production "El Recluso" (The Inmate)". nbcumv.com . Retrieved 17 January 2018. Overall: I found pacing fast and the twists smart enough to read this book in one sitting! Amelia’s naiveness and wrong decisions can be justified by her young age and having nobody to depend on.

I wasn't able to get invested in any of the characters or feel any emotional attachment. Also, the pacing was just off. I've read some of her other novels that were very pacy and addictive. B.A. Paris has always been a favorite. I'm a card-carrying fan from the beginning. But The Prisoner just didn't rise to the occasion for me. Let me explain: Overall it's not a terrible book though. The storyline is entertaining and kept my interest throughout. Fans of this author's other books should really enjoy this latest offering. How are you?” I say. At my question, he whips his head up and stares at me. “Well, Brooke, I’m spending my life in prison for something I didn’t do, so how the hell do you think I am? I’m not great.” I return his seething gaze. “I meant your head.”Soon she is moving up in the world and it's through a new job that she meets Ned Hawthorpe, a business man, technically her new boss and the heir to a vast fortune. While I’ve rewatched the original Scream multiple times, I saw the sequel twice at most, maybe 15 or 20 years ago now (yikes, that makes me feel old to type out). That is how striking the similarity here is, to immediately remind me of a movie/character I haven’t seen or thought of in years. Margie/Pamela simply is Mrs. Loomis. I listened to the audiobook, and the narrator did a great job at keeping the tension going when it started to get tedious. At about 75% in I had a general idea of what was going on and I ended up being correct. Sometimes this doesn't take away from the story, but in this case it did. Especially since we get an info dump at the end where it is all explained to the reader, even though we should all be bright enough to put it together without the wrap up. (Side note, this is the second book in recent days that has done this and it's frustrating.) In the Past, Amelie, orphaned at 16, naive and gullible, takes herself to London after her Papa’s death, and manages to get herself a job as a live-in housekeeper/cook after following a woman home from a coffee shop. (Really?) When trying to find Pablito's location, Frida discovers Dante's entire history as a former soldier and his rescue mission at La Rotunda, in which he was betrayed and she confronts him.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment