276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Funny Thing about Norman Foreman: The most uplifting Richard & Judy book club pick of 2022

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

A pleasantly surprising book for a debut author and one that anyone and everyone can easily read. It is also a story quite a few people could in some way relate to. It had family, death, sadness, fun, life and even happiness. The story of a boy, Norman, the death of a friend, Jax and Norman’s mother, Sadie, who is dealing with her own past. The adventures Norman and his mother Sadie have are led by an elderly friend Leonard who takes them on a journey of discovery, laughter and even grief. Although a bit slow to read it is still a charming, heart-warming story that actually takes you right along on the journey and introduces you to some great characters. I can’t say I loved it but I did enjoy it and found it an easy read, which brings home life and how each of us has our own way of dealing with the things it throws at us. – Donna, TAS, 3 Stars This is a must-read. The characters have a wonderful mix of fragility and resilience, which is exposed as they deal with loss and grief, through a rather non-traditional journey of self-discovery. From laugh-out-loud to heart-wrenching moments, this book is difficult to put down. – Alanna, QLD, 5 Stars This was a funny read with heartwarming characters and plenty of plot twists I didn’t see coming. Norman and his mum Sadie are a great duo and share a lovely bond. The trip across England to Scotland keeps the story moving along at a great pace. I will recommend Norman Foreman to friends. – Julie, NSW, 4 Stars

Norman Forman Book Discussion Questions The Funny Thing About Norman Forman

When I started thinking about everyone I know, like Tony and Kathy and their baby that hasn’t shown up yet, and Adam and his rugby career that never got to happen, and Leonard with his wife who doesn’t remember him anymore, and Jax’s mum and stepdad who lost their boy, and Mum who finally told me what really happened to Grandad, I realized they’ve all got one thing in common. Which is that even though bad things happened to them, they all still kept on going.” Little Miss Sunshine meets Wonder meets A Man Called Ove in this stunning debut novel that will touch your heart. “What do you get when you cross a painfully awkward son, lofty comedic ambition and a dead best friend? Norman.”The funny thing about Norman Foreman is that he’s wheedled his way into my heart, and I suspect I’ll have a Norman shaped hole there forever.” Clare Pooley, author of The Authenticity Project

The Funny Thing about Norman Foreman - Penguin Books Australia The Funny Thing about Norman Foreman - Penguin Books Australia

If you're after a heart-warming book filled to the brim with hope and humanity, then Julietta Henderson's charming The Funny Thing About Norman Foreman should be your next read . . . A life-affirming tale. CultureFly I read because books are a form of transportation, of teaching, and of connection! Books take us to places we’ve never been, they teach us about our world, and they help us to understand human experience.” Norman and Jax are a legendary comedy duo in the making, with a five-year plan to perform at the Edinburgh Fringe by the time they’re fifteen. But then Jax dies before they even turn twelve. What a delightful read! This book is about what's really important: caring for each other and finding ways through the problems life throws at us, no matter how terrible they can be. The story is both hilarious and heart-warming, with one 'helluva' brave, wise, and lovable twelve-year-old hero... Three cheers for Norman Foreman! Hazel Prior, author of AWAY WITH THE PENGUINS

What a thoroughly delightful book to read! This book exceeded my expectations. It starts off by being introduced to the main characters Sadie and Norman. Norman has lost his best mate Jax and is dealing with life without him. For me, it had similarities to Eleanor oliphant which I enjoyed immensely. I highly recommend this book for an enjoyable read. 5/5 from me. – Claire, VIC, 5 Stars A heartwarming story at its core, with Norman and Sadie both being relatable and real characters with all their flaws. I think the topics of grief and Norman’s condition could have been delved into a little deeper. An enjoyable read. – Hanadi, NSW, 3 Stars One of those gorgeous books that completely lifts your spirits and restores your faith in humanity. An utterly lovely tale.' Ruth Jones, actress and author of Never Greener

The Funny Thing about Norman Foreman (Hardback) - Waterstones The Funny Thing about Norman Foreman (Hardback) - Waterstones

Charming, warm, and uplifting... Julietta Henderson's quirky, lovable characters also offer profound meditations on family, friendship, grief, disability, illness, and aging, all told with heart, humor, and wisdom. There is so much to love about this book. Laurie Frankel, New York Times bestselling author of THIS IS HOW IT ALWAYS IS A rare delight of a novel. A lighthearted, madcap road trip from Cornwall to Edinburgh for poor little Norman Foreman (a sweet child with terrible timing and even more terrible psoriasis, mourning the untimely death of his best friend and comedy partner) to make his stage debut at the Fringe Festival – and maybe find his father along the way. The pace could have been tightened at points, and there was a little bit of repetitive self-reflection from the main characters which could have been trimmed. There were also a few slightly clumsy moments of slut-shaming and fat-shaming, but I think those were generally redeemed. Overall the novel was a slow-burning, richly developed, and entertaining read culminating in a snappy, hilarious finale. Heart-warming without being cloying, moving without being mushy, a beautifully human book full of beautifully human characters – all in all, a fabulous read. – Sylvia, QLD, 5 Stars Recommended: I enthusiastically recommend The Funny Thing About Norman Foreman for readers who are looking for a humorous and unique (quirky?) story, for those who appreciate stories with thoughtful themes (see above), for those who enjoy supporting debut authors, and for book clubs. Thanks to Joanne at Portobello Book Blog (her review) for the recommendation in our 20 blogger collaboration this summer!What a delightful read! Hilarious and heartwarming, with one "helluva" brave, wise and lovable hero. Three cheers for Norman Foreman.' Hazel Prior, author of Away with the Penguins Now a full-time writer, Julietta divides her life between Melbourne, the UK and wherever else she can find winter. The Funny Thing About Norman Foreman is her debut novel.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment