276°
Posted 20 hours ago

It's Not Always Depression: Working the Change Triangle to Listen to the Body, Discover Core Emotions, and Connect to Your Authentic Self

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Based on what he told me, I decided to treat him as a survivor of childhood neglect — a form of trauma. I for instance am aware very often that my anxiety comes from illogical fear but that doesn't make my anxiety go away. The author has been able to put together so much important and relevant information and present it in such a beautiful way.

In my opinion, this is more like a book that you read if you were a neurotic but not enough to the point that you can't function in your daily life, or it inhibits you from fulfilling your day to day duties/responsibilities, etc. I particularly liked the experiment that made me imagine a safe space, somewhere I can go to when things get stressful. This book would be super helpful for anyone looking to understand themselves better and get to the root of what’s causing all the anxiety/depression in their lives.The organization of the book was non-intuitive, though, and without prior background examining one's emotions I think a reader might be lost.

She runs a practice on the Upper West Side of Manhattan and was the Mental Health Consultant for the Emmy and Golden Globe-winning show Mad Men.Our mind is very susceptible to suggestion and so it could easily create these younger selves and memories under therapy. I highly recommend this for anyone who’s ever struggled with depression, feeling their emotions, rage, shame, anxiety. A rounded theory and daily help to find new paths to recovery from traumatic, relationship problems and depressive issues in your life. Without jargon or overly technical explanations, she presents the latest theories and discoveries in cognitive psychology, neuroscience and mindfulness meditation. Some of my friends and family keep telling me how they've had traumatic pasts and, okay, perhaps they do but a lot of the time, it's not really big-T "Trauma.

In addition, there is also some exploration on trauma; Big T and little t trauma and the distinction between the 2. The only reason I gave this book a 2/5 rather than a 1/5 is I liked that Hendel made a distinction between small-t "trauma" and big-T "Trauma. Also, this book did NOT need to be so long (it's only 296 pages or so and that's still a hundred too many). This includes psychological tricks like ‘denial’, and ‘ dissociation’, behaviors like checking your phone every two seconds, compulsive eating, exercise, sex and gaming etc.In a world where emotional education is definitely not a priority, there are big and small traumas hiding behind everybody's daily behaviour which will explode in a way or another, there's no way around it. She introduces us to The Change Triangle, a conceptual tool, a map, to understand our emotions and discover what we are doing with them that limit our awareness and growth. There's a wealth of exercises to try included in the book and I feel like the author is very generous with how much she shares.

A lot of repetition, and doesn't take into account that many people are able to identify which core emotion is causing their anxiety or depression but that doesn't make it go away for them. As a social worker myself I like the way emotions and defense mechanisms are being looked at in this book. To deny or avoid one's true feelings and emotions leads to a multitude of problems and symptoms from states of depression to anxiety and everything in between.The case studies were boring to read and I got quite annoyed with how Hendel described her therapy sessions starting every sentence (in dialogue with) "I hear you are ___" and the blank would be, word-for-word, whatever the client had said in the line above. I thought there would be useful strategies for getting to the root of your problems with tips to alleviate any mental illness you have. This shines a new light on our personal issues, and confirms what I knew intuitively for a while, that most of them come from repressed emotions that we haven't released yet. Through moving, persuasive stories of working the Change Triangle with her own patients, Hendel teaches us how to apply these principles to our everyday lives. With practical examples on the therapeutic process of dealing with things, with exercises that you can do to dig into your soul, with mindset shifts and an overall bubble of acceptance, this book is the first step on the road of healing.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment