276°
Posted 20 hours ago

12v BT-Openreach-EchoLife-HG612-Fibre-optic-Modem 120-240v power supply charger

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Without exception every PON installation I’ve seen in the UK has been delivered via a full fibre run inside the building with a splitter node or several in the basement or comms room. As examples of smaller units with a just a single gig port, the Huawei EG8010 is only 83mm x 69mm x 28mm and draws only 2.5w with the Nokia 7368 ISAM ONT G-010G-Q being 89 mm x 82 mm x 27 but states >4w

Check your Full Fibre wiring and set-up | Help | EE

We might also need also need to drill an extra small hole or two outside to work safely on our ladders. It will really help us if you can clear some space for us to work. And you’ll need your new router to hand when we get there. We’ll run a fibre optic cable, from a nearby telegraph pole or underground, to a small junction box on an external wall. From there, a much smaller cable will be run inside to a small, powered, wall-mounted unit that we’ll plug your router into. Finally, we’ll test your full fibre connection on one of your preferred devices to make sure you’re totally happy, so you can start making the most of a faster, more dependable connection than ever. As you can see there are 4 lights at the top of the OpenReach Full Fibre modem – Power, LOS (Loss of Service or Loss of Signal), PON (Passive Optical Network) and LAN (Local Area Network – but you know this one, right?). Think of LOS as showing a cut in the fibre connection, whereas PON is indicating your connection at the other end of the network.

The ONT is negotiating a connection on the network. You’ll find this might happen a few times after initial installation. Learn about what the lights on the Openreach fibre modem mean and what to do if they show that there's a problem. This is used to provide your voice and broadband service. It's also known as an Optical Network Termination box or ONT. Not sure why the alternative has to be something PoE capable. The existing has worked fine for a few hundred thousand installs. Something for consideration in the future as I’ve said but I can’t see either SFP or wires-only being a thing unless plugging the fibre into an Openreach approved router that they are able to provision.

modem power supply - BT Community Lost modem power supply - BT Community

Underneath the box, from left to right, are 3 connectors – power, LAN out, optical fibre in, That middle one is the one that goes to your router. First of all, you might notice our engineers working nearby. Don’t worry, they’re just busy making sure our network is ready for you. Whilst no one needs to be in for this, a decision maker needs to be present when we install your connection. Congratulations! If you’re reading this then I’m guessing you’ve upgraded to Full Fibre, or FTTP (Fibre to the Premises) as it’s also known. With vastly superior speeds over traditional fibre broadband, it’s slowly rolling out across the UK. One aspect of the installation is a wall mounted modem (known as an ONT – Optical Network Terminal), which goes between the fibre connection outside and your router. No matter which ISP you’re with, OpenReach will have installed this for you and it will be one of their branded boxes. You must always plug your Hub into the Openreach modem port PORT 1. If you're connected to PORT 1 but have no internet connection, try plugging the Ethernet cable (red ends) into the next one along. After a few minutes a blue light will show your Hub is ready.

Step 1: Check your Hub

As far as the other part goes I can’t say I’ve ever seen a PON solution where the customers / building owner provide their own pig tails between units and a fibre tray. I’ve seen point to point where this is the case and there’re an ODF in a basement with wires-only or managed router provision at the end but not where it’s PON to an SFP. Ethernet connection is normal between Openreach fibre modem and Hub (Port 1 is where engineer will install). The ONT tends to be installed inside your home (wall hung), usually near to where the fibre optic cable physically enters the property, and it’s primary job is simply to take that optical signal and convert it into an electrical one so that you can hook-up a broadband router via a standard LAN / Ethernet port. Installations of Openreach’s ( BT) Fibre-to-the-Premises ( FTTP) based UK ultrafast broadband ISP technology will soon begin seeing a new Optical Network Unit (ONT), which is not only very compact (pictured top) but also comes in at a third of the cost of the existing unit. Obviously they’ve sacrificed a few little things. They’ve gone through a number of different models but, right now, are installing a compact little box made by Nokia. This is what it should look like…

Quick Guide Home wiring - Openreach

This whole thing is, as I’ve said, much more akin to cable / HFC network layout than point to point fibre and has to be considered in that way. The only reason cable operators in the USA allow customers to connect their own equipment is because they’re legally obliged and they hate doing it.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment