276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Modern Baker Superloaf, 800 g

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Following its annual Sourdough September campaign, the Real Bread Campaign noted a rise in claims within the sourdough community. No single ingredient will support immunity on its own; it’s the interaction of a range of different ingredients that helps protect the body against disease. Here are some highlights of Superloaf’s 16 natural ingredients: Sharp and cofounder Leo Campbell then founded Modern Baker, which produces Superloaf, and later, Oxford Food Tech for its science and IP. Every sourdough starter - and bread made from it - is different. The species and strains of yeasts and lactic acid bacteria in each sourdough starter culture is unique.​ Sharp came up with the idea for SUPERLOAF while undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer, where she noticed the amount of sugary, unhealthy food served to patients.

Receiving our sixth grant in a row from Innovate UK is tremendously encouraging, and a brilliant validation of Alt-Nutrition staples that benefit digestive and gut health, potentially ushering in a new era of mass-produced foods that are nutritious and have a net positive impact on wellbeing and the planet,” said Sharp. If you had to name staple foods contributing to Britain’s poor diet – one of the factors blamed for this country’s high death toll from Covid-19 – there’s little doubt industrially-made sliced bread would be near the top of the list. Modern Baker has partnered with Hovis and Marks & Spencer for the launch of Superloaf 5.0 – a mass produced version of what it previously dubbed the ‘healthiest loaf ever made’. During one of my chemo sessions, a refreshments trolley was wheeled in. It looked like something out of a 1960s Carry On film, except what was on it wasn’t remotely funny.The most surprising thing is how they’ve managed to mimic the sliced loaf that everyone loves,” he says. “Once toasted and slathered with peanut butter (my favourite spread, but each to their own) you wouldn’t tell the difference between Superloaf and your standard sliced loaf; but your microbiome certainly will. For too long bread has been seen as the villain, but the real problem is the type of bread people eat.” Eating probiotics, such as live yogurt, unpasteurised artisan cheese and fermented foods, also encourages the growth of microbes. But it hasn’t been proven that they reach the gut. The advice in Spector’s book, Spoon-Fed, is to limit ultra-processed foods, sugars, sweeteners and preservatives, as they have been found to “reduce the diversity of bacteria” in your gut.

The Superloaf team is also hoping to apply the same technology to other staple food groups such as pasta and cereal, and eventually to all carbohydrate-based processed foods. In light of the current pandemic, Sharp believes the need for immune-supporting staples that are accessible to all has never been greater. “Covid has been a wake-up call that immunity against disease, through what we eat, is critical,” she says. “Good diet is as necessary to good health as good hospitals.” Superloaf is seeded and sliced. It provides 208kcals per 100g. That’s 26.8% lower than Warburtons Original Seeded Batch and 25.2% lower than Hovis Seed Sensations.

Twitter

Unhealthy UPFs make up nearly 60% of UK’s calorie intake, ramping up the runaway obesity crisis that is placing immense strain on the country national health system (NHS). Spector maintains that the wider the variety of plant fibre you eat, the healthier and “more diverse” the bacteria in your gut will be. He suggests eating 30 different types of fruit and vegetables per week, including nuts, seeds and herbs. I love looking after myself, something I didn’t do prior to my breast cancer diagnosis. For me, everyday involves some sort of exercise whether that be just a dog walk, reformer pilates, yoga or some hiit training. Eating right is also crucial for me. It’s important for us as a team to reap what we sow, which means ensuring our bodies are fueled with the right nutrition. Contains valuable soluble fibre that is known to improve blood sugar control as well as providing the specific prebiotic fibre that feeds the billions of microbes/bugs in our gut that are important to our immunity.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment