276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Fight Like A Girl

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

A friend recently told me that the things I write are powerful for her because they have the effect of making her feel angry instead of just empty. I want to do this for all women and young girls - to take the emptiness and numbness they feel about being a girl in this world and turn it into rage and power. I want to teach all of them how to FIGHT LIKE A GIRL. Clementine Ford All these resources from the women, books, art, music, I would have LOVED an actual list of their material so it would be easier to find. The bibliography in the end lists the resources the author used, I’m talking about a separate list with the feminists’ own work, now I have to google for myself (yeah I know, minor issue…) Fight Like a Girl offers a fearless vision for the future of feminism. By boldly detailing what is at stake for women and girls today, Megan Seely outlines the necessary steps to achieve true political, social and economic equity for all. Reclaiming feminism for a new generation, Fight Like a Girl speaks to young women who embrace feminism in substance but not necessarily in name.

I won a signed copy and a t-shirt for asking a question that was read on a live Facebook event. I listened to this via audiobook and I loved it as it was narrated by Ford herself (she's quite good). This is the book that every female should read, and arm themselves with the knowledge that in society, we have to fight louder for our voices to be heard. For the marginalised and less fortunate to be heard. For the female body to be respected and not ridiculed or shamed. For the more fortunate to recognise our privilege that are not afforded to others. For every female and those that identify as one, to band together and raise each other up instead of tearing each other down. We can only start respecting and supporting each other ourselves, before society is expected to follow. And we've got a long way to go. On to the actual book: I didn’t rate it because I skimmed large chunks of familiar material. The book is promoted as “an inspiring, unapologetic, feminist manifesto” through “a mixture of memoir, opinion and investigative journalism.” I personally felt she dwelt too much on the memoir part. The first third covers her personal journey to realizing she could proudly claim the label of feminist in her late twenties after overcoming significant body image issues. There is also a lot of repetition. I don’t know or read Ford, but her biography says she’s a columnist. Some parts of the book had the feel of several columns edited together without regard to repetitive themes and examples. Urgently needed, Fight Like a Girl is a passionate, rallying cry that will awaken readers to the fact they are not alone and there’s a brighter future where men and women can flourish equally – and that’s something worth fighting for.This review contains opinions (I'm sure some will be unpopular), some profanity etc. Generalisations will occur.

My mother played the role of the traditional housewife and primary caregiver in a predominantly female environment, raising daughters while she was being emotionally, mentally and physically abused. We were children of domestic violence and alcohol abuse. This became my inauguration into a male dominated world where battle weary women have previously been defeated and precious lives have been lost. It touches on the tragedy of Jill Meagher and how her brutal rape and murder invoked rage without our community. Fight Like A Girl considers the anguish of domestic violence and violence against women, a chapter that resonated deep within me.

Here are some statistics to help demonstrate the prevalence and severity of violence against women: So, I read this book, and I read Clem's anger, and I thought 'yeah, but no wants to hear this! No one gives a shit!' Some reviewers have dinged Ford for her crude language and raw anger. I don’t. This book was written for a younger generation—one more accustomed to the F-bomb and sharing their feelings across social media. This generation of feminists is not like mine and that’s a good thing! I hope they are better—as in more effective. They will have different tools, more expansive networks, and (I hope) more men working with them. I’m just sorry they still have to go through the same traumas we did. The Me Too Movement seems to be making a difference. The Kavanaugh hearings for the Supreme Court have tapped a deep sense of outrage which I hope will be reflected at the voting booth. Here’s to hoping the next generation of young women get the respect and opportunities they deserve. I’ve got my fingers crossed and plan to crochet a bunch more pussy hats. It’s hard for me to separate my thoughts about this book from my love for Clementine Ford, but I think 3 stars is fair. In some ways I loved it, and thoroughly enjoyed reading it, but I’m conscious that I don’t think it really taught introduced me to anything new (beyond more about the author herself). It also veered a bit too close to an online rant in some parts, which clanged a bit. Which is REALLY DISAPPOINTING because what she's trying to say IS FKING IMPORTANT but she's so busy ranting about how the amount of trouble men have caused for her has opened her eyes to how much trouble ALL WOMEN suffer because of ALL MEN that there's just no space for contemplation and reasoning out your own conclusions.

Fight Like A Girl is fuelled by Ford’s clear-eyed defiance and refusal to compromise, and by her powerful combination of personal testimony and political polemic. In the vein of Caitlin Moran’s How to be a Woman or Roxane Gay’s Bad Feminist.’ Clementine also discusses in depth, the importance of surrounding yourself with strong, positive female friendships and the impact a support network can have on the female subconscious. One aspect I found fascinating was the conversation which dissects the emphasis being placed upon our physical aesthetic, which determines our popularity and often sense of self worth. It's during those years of discovery and exploration where we need to instill in the next generation of young women, the importance of self confidence, how to assert ourselves and not to be ashamed of our bodies or allow men to reduce our valuation to objectification.

Featured Products

Clementine Ford was put on this earth to give courage to the young girl inside all of us. This is an exciting, essential book from Australia’s most fearless feminist writer.’ Never did I realise I held so much rage against the devaluement of women until reading Fight Like A Girl. Never have I felt so empowered. So inspired. So alive. Fight Like A Girl awakens the Feminist within, providing a sense of togetherness against a world that often devalues, demoralises and silences women who find their voice. A voice that values women, inspires women and tells us we're worthy and we deserve. Feminism is not a dirty word. It's a call to arms. Like many other feminists, young Clementine was your typical girl, brought up in a loving family, together with her older sister and brother. She couldn't quite find her place in the world, being a chubby girl (I know the biggest crime of them all!), until she became a teenager who decided "to take control" by becoming anorexic and bulimic. Interestingly enough, but not unusual, nobody in the family noticed, she was getting lots of compliments for losing that weight to become attractive. Her parents were loving and quite enlightened by comparison, still, they weren't perfect. The mixed messages we give girls, the ever-changing goalposts of what it means to be attractive, of what's acceptable and not acceptable. Just think of how we were parented and how we parent our boys and girls: for the girls - be nice and kind, make yourself pretty, cute, followed by don't go out at night, don't show too much leg, wear a bra, wear girly clothes, of course, not too revealing we don't want people to call/think you a slut. Shave your underarms, shave your legs (why is it so different for men?). The boys are mostly left to be themselves, go explore, be conquerors, be a leader, assertive, encouraged to go after what they want etc. Online sensation, fearless feminist heroine and scourge of trolls and misogynists everywhere, Clementine Ford is a beacon of hope and inspiration to thousands of Australian women and girls. Her incendiary debut Fight Like A Girl is an essential manifesto for feminists new, old and soon-to-be, and exposes just how unequal the world continues to be for women. Crucially, it is a call to arms for all women to rediscover the fury that has been suppressed by a society that still considers feminism a threat.

I'm not anti-feminist; I'm not siding with males because I want them to like me, and I'm not selfishly oblivious to the plights of women around the world. I know that women are often subjected to the vile behaviours of entitled men and I have experienced degradation at the hands of men so I FKING GET IT.I'm so saddened by how visceral my reaction to this book has been. I believe the message 100%, but the delivery is going to alienate a lot of well-meaning people. Fight Like a Girl is a much-needed primer and call to action for the next generation of feminist activists. In this regressive cultural climate, it's more important than ever to speak loudly and proudly about the work we're doing and what still needs to be done. Keep your legs closed – on public transport, in the living room, while watching TV, while lying in bed, while lying with someone else. Be the gatekeeper. Know that boys can’t help themselves, that it’s your job to help them learn self-control, but you must never, ever, ever tell them that, because it’s not fair to treat boys like they’re dangerous. Sacrifice yourself so that they might become better people. Be the scaffold they need to climb to heights greater than you’ll ever be supported to reach.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment