276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Noah's Gold

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Frank's first book, Millions, won the CILIP Carnegie Medal in 2004 and has been shortlisted for a number of awards, including the Guardian Children's Fiction Award 2004. He is also the author of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again , Cosmic , Framed, The Astounding Broccoli Boy and Runaway Robot . This wacky, comical, entertaining tale reels its way through to the final rescue involving foil blankets and hot chocolate. The unlikely gang end up on a deserted island, and now they have to band together to try and survive on the island and maybe also fix the internet too (I still don’t quite understand what that bit was all about! When his older sister and her class go on a field trip to see the world’s largest warehouse, is Noah “Needed On Journey”?

His second book, Framed was inspired by a news story he’d read in an old scrapbook: During the Second World War, a collection of valuable paintings from the National Gallery was hidden in a slate mine for safekeeping. Her quirky pictures will keep the reader entertained and focused as they work through the book, or simply dip into the pages for ten minutes of calm colouring. This one is definitely an adventure story at it’s heart, and I really enjoyed blasting through it and seeing where it was going to go.I bet this would be a great class read for a Y5 or 6 class - it’s fun and relatable with lots of dilemmas to discuss, including whether some aspects of life might be better without the internet. Mindful Kids : An activity book for children who sometimes feel anxious or stressed, by Lily Murray (paperback) 24. It was such a pleasure to meet you both, and I really appreciated how smoothly and professionally you ran everything. Frank's second novel, Framed, was published in September 2005 and shortlisted for the Carnegie Medal, the Whitbread Award and the Guardian Prize. Some other great things which feel so Cottrell Boyce are the fact that the geography trip was originally meant to be going to a warehouse, that the grown up (Mr Merriman) was just so clueless, that Noah was earnestly putting letters in a letterbox and believing his parents were replying, that the entire internet was turned off.

This one follows Noah, who has snuck in the back of the minibus on his sister’s geography field trip. This is where the book really changes as we see the panic of the children who can't use their phones and have no communication, it shows the element of reliance especially as they then loose the teacher. Packed with mystery, adventure and laughs, Noah's Gold is the exciting novel from the bestselling, multi-award-winning author of Millions and Cosmic, Frank Cottrell-Boyce. His sister is pretending she doesn’t know him, their teacher disappears, nobody knows how to source food without Alexa… and what’s this about a treasure map?

I enjoyed the accent of the narrator too, I would have had a completely different experience reading the book myself. Noah offers hope to the other children on the island, and shows that, actually, children can cope perfectly well without Internet access, thank you very much.

Eleven-year-old Noah shouldn’t have even been on the school minibus, the one in which the teacher entered the wrong details into the SatNav and now he and the five other students, including his sister, who won’t admit she knows him, are stranded on a deserted island. Going into this book I wasn’t quite sure if it would be something I was going to enjoy mainly because it is for school. MacMillan Children’s Books) ‘To whom it may concern, I am a Year Seven from St Anthony of Padua High School, Limavady.Maybe it was fate that Noah became trapped in the bus, as he just might be the only one with reasonable ideas.

Noah, his sister and four of her classmates end up marooned on a tiny island with no grown ups and no way to get home. While I can't speak for the other examples I just gave (because I haven't read them, and won't read them, so don't even think of asking), Noah's Gold works, thanks in no small part to Frank Cottrell-Boyce's wit. Steve Lenton’s charming black-and-white illustrations complement the chapters beautifully, giving the book a real scribbled-treasure-map feel. This island-set survival story is a sort of version of Lord of the Flies where all the children are resourceful, sweet and smart. There’s also a gentle message about the value we can find in everyday things when we are forced to put our phones and laptops away, and the firm friendships that take hold in times of uncertainty.I have even talked the head into a little revamp of the library so that we can display them properly! It seems that Noah’s Gold is like other best-selling, beloved titles from Frank Cottrell-Boyce in that it is hugely readable and thoroughly funny. On the morning of the trip, Noah makes his sister a fabulous packed lunch and in placing it in the back of the minibus he gets accidentally packed into the luggage.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment