276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Warlock Effect: A highly entertaining, twisty adventure filled with magic, illusions and Cold War espionage

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I love it when I come across a book that holds my attention and I’m not reading the same old same old stories.

The bookstore be closed on November 1rst for the bank holiday. Operations will resume the following day.A British secret service agent recruits him for a mission which requires sleight-of-hand skills. But is he dealing with a double agent? Are his handlers British? Soviets? Louis is taken against his will, removed from his friends and fiancée, and thrust into a Kafkaesque world of mind games. He is sent into Czechoslovakia to investigate the sinister ‘Funhouse’ where it seems magicians can fool magicians.

Whether prestidigitation, the paranormal, or the grey area between, magic and the cold war thriller seem to go hand in hand. But Ronson’s goat-staring military men aside, surely it’s just fodder for fiction? Sheer delight... This enthralling, playful thriller can be enjoyed for its virtuosic recreation of the period' THE SUNDAY TIMESThe blurb was misleading. Yes, it's about magicians and espionage in the Cold War, however, what is not made clear anywhere is that the protagonist is Jewish and is burdened by World War II experiences in his formative years. This context is central to the whole novel, so it's bizarre that it's not mentioned anywhere in the marketing. So, TW/CW: Mentions of the Holocaust, antisemitism, genocide. I’m not going to tell you anything about this book as it needs to be read to appreciate its uniqueness. Coupled with the events of the novel, it ends up being quite harrowing and traumatic for the protagonist and the reader. RYAN'The period atmosphere and the Cold War detail feel like a Le Carre but it's the characters you really care about.

All the hallmarks of a modern classic, with more twists and turns than the intestinal tract -- Adam Kay The period atmosphere and the Cold War detail feel like a Le Carré but it’s the characters you really care about. Exactly like some of the magic it describes, the odd sleight of hand or false deception wrapped around a terrific mystery.’ IAN MOORE THE SUNDAY TIMES THRILLER OF THE MONTH**A THE TIMES BEST THRILLER FOR APRIL**OPTIONED FOR TELEVISION IN A SEVEN-WAY AUCTION*'Delightful' THE TIMES'Enthralling' THE SUNDAY TIMES'A serpentine thriller' SPECTATOR'A pure delight' NEIL GAIMAN'All the hallmarks of a modern classic' ADAM KAY'Two great masters join forces to explosive effect' RICHARD OSMAN'Huge fun - gripping and very clever. Intriguing and completely original, this Cold War spy novel is just what every bookshelf needs' W.C. RYANLa librairie sera fermée le 1er novembre pour cause de jour férié. Les activités reprendront le lendemain. Spycraft and magic have always been strange but agreeable bedfellows, and a recent trend for merging both branches of the dark arts is gathering momentum in fiction. A British Secret Service agent recruits him for a mission which requires his sleight of hand skills. But is he dealing with a double agent? He is being used by someone. Are his handlers British? Soviets? Louis is taken against his will, removed from his friends and fiancée and thrust into a Kafka-esque world of mind games. He is sent behind Soviet lines into Czechoslavakia to investigate the sinister ‘Funhouse’, where it seems magicians can even fool magicians.

That took me to the blurb which sounded so delicious it rendered me powerless to resist. So I didn't! Intriguing and completely original, this Cold War spy novel is just what every bookshelf needs’ W.C. RYAN But after his talent for deception attracts the attention of the British secret service, Louis is thrown into the perilous world of espionage and finds himself sent across Europe with a dangerous mission to fulfil. His talent for deception then attracts the attention of the British Secret Service, so get ready Ludvik is thrown into the perilous world of espionage as he is sent across Europe with a dangerous mission to fulfil. Mr Aldous, editor of Illustrated, who has previous history with Louis, challenges him to prove his magic is ‘real’. His assistant (and fiancée) Dinah is hidden within a three-mile radius, and Louis must find her within three hours, blindfolded, only using his ‘psychic’ mental connection to her. They secretly communicate messages to each other by tapping their fingers in Morse code. He passes the test.

Everything about this book is incredible, the opening contract, the little magical asides, the story, the twists and turns. Man about town, denizen of Soho’s nightclubs and cabaret bars – and the most skilled magician of his time . . .

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment