276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Givenchy Eau de Toilette, 100 ml

£29.425£58.85Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The original presentation of Eau de Givenchy is a product of the cusp between the 1970s and the 1980s, with a clear nod to the fresh scents of the 1970s, as a splash in the usual, generous size of 120ml (4 oz) and even bigger. Those who seek the delicate floral with chypre tonalities of their youth, green tinged flowers with stems intact, offered in a spontaneous bouquet on a clear spring day, might be disappointed. The very hesperidic core with additional "fresh green air" tonalities of hedione in a rather substantial amount from what I can smell push this into the citrusy type of aroma, rather than the green floral or green floral chypre. It's a different aesthetic for a different generation, no doubt, a new audience who are keen to not offend with "obsolete" mossy notes that remind people of cooped-up spaces and napthelene in the attic, apparently. There is little tolerance towards that, it seems. Nevertheless, the transposing of the idea of a "garden" is something which is ripe for exploiting in a classical house such as Givenchy, and given the very ersatz quality of its rose in the Very Irresistible sub-line, one wouldn't need to fixate on photorealism. The "idea" of a garden is good enough and the picturesque French paysage allows for endless opportunities. Eau III, Jardin d'Interdit, Jardin Irresistible, or Eau d'Organza could all be given the gardening treatment and end up smelling as fresh as a daisy. (These are all fantastical names conceived by me for the purposes of this article, reader, beware!) Clos Fiorentina garden; Google images; Paris/ C. de Virieu from The Givenchy Style,The Vendome Press, New York 1998. I'm always imagining purple lilacs. Lilac blossoms and again something like honey. You could almost call it the copied Guerlain DNA. I'd love to have it even stronger and longer green, but the great bottle already says: I'm simple, clear, quiet and noble. Humble water. Holy. Clean. Untouched and beautiful.

Its focus on neroli and its cousins also reminds me of Tom Ford Neroli Portofino and Frederic Malle Cologne Indélébile. However, while they're interchangeable to a certain extent, Eau de Givenchy differs more significantly in the dry down, with its more substantial, cotton-y yet slightly metallic musk adding more heft and rendering it more opaque comparing to the sharper, leaner, soapier and somewhat more "robotic" Neroli Portofino, or the more refined and traditional Cologne Indélébile. Although I haven't yet compared them side by side, the prominently musky dry down of Eau de Givenchy is reminiscent of that of Byredo Blanche's to my nose, more than other eau de cologne-type of fragrances.Although the composition pyramid looks thinned out, it's more of a streamlining of the scent than a completely different scent. Grabbing a Mythiques edition is still a rather nice investment and not a loss of your money. This woman’s perfume evokes the playfulness, joie de vivre and youth celebrated by Hubert de Givenchy. Eau de Givenchy Eau de Toilette is a fresh, crystal-clear fragrance expressing light-hearted elegance. The newer scent is, in a way, more 1970s than the original, reprising the fresh citrus cologne style of formerly popular (in the 1970s) splashes, like Eau de Patou, for example. An intermediary re-issue of Eau de Givenchy came in the collection of classical re-issues by the firm in 2007, to mark its 50th anniversary, and it was called Les Parfums Mythiques Eau de Givenchy. The scent was included in the ten best classic scents out of the productive collection, alongside their steady production of L'Interdit, Organza, or Amarige. The characteristic G motifs of the logo are laced like a Greek key, a beautiful design motif that is indicative of the entirety of the 1980s and 1990s up to a certain point.

As I haven't yet had the opportunity to smell the original Eau de Givenchy, I don't have any direct comparison to offer. But there's no doubt that this brand new version of Eau de Givenchy smells like a product conceived to fit and made in our modern era, rather than one trying to convey vintage characteristics. This Citrus Musky fragrance evokes summer days spent in the gardens of Clos Fiorentina in the South of France. It opens with the bright top notes of Calabrian Bergamot Essence. Then bitter Almond Essence and Petitgrain Essence add bite to this zestful and exhilarating scent. At its heart, Tunisian Orange Blossom Absolute and Essence reveal a blooming bouquet infused with luminosity. While the base comes to disturb this freshness with the enveloping notes of a White Musk accord. For me, Eau de Givenchy is like a very naturally scented light version of a mixture of Nerolia Bianca and Mandarin Basilic from Guerlain. A beautiful light summer cologne - and therefore a clear test recommendation for all lovers of the genre! Indeed here, above, we can see a different edition that comes from around the millenium (2003), when other classics of the house, like L'Interdit, were re-issued, revamped and unrecognizable.The creation is a reflection of the green chypre of 1970 that consolidated the Givenchy brand as a producer of "serious fragrances," Givenchy III, to mark the opening of a prestigious store by the brand at the location 3 Avenue George V, in Paris. In many ways Eau de Givenchytakes inspiration from the green clarity of the predecessor but deviates in that it is more youthful, more carefree, much more optimistic and delicate. It's got something of a sporty character, without being sporty in scent at all. The 2018 version of Eau de Givenchy is a quite straightforward eau de cologne on my skin, with a slightly more pronounced feminine touch of tender floral and cottony musk. The bottle and box design did take some turns over the years, reflective of the changing policies in the marketing of the firm. The consolidation of the G logo, which is repeated horizontally and vertically to form a "square" or a seeming Greek key motif on the boxes, would become characteristic for Givenchy in the coming years, all through the 1980s and 1990s, while the sparser lines adopted during the millenium are a desire to renew, inspired by the clearer, less "fussy" bottles that dominated the 1990s with their idea of "purity" that they pushed. The formula was circulating under two different boxes, one in pale dusty pink with the successive G logos emblazoned, the other in a warmer hue of pale apricot cream.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment