276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Monte Cook Games MCG00074 "No Thank You Evil" Game

£21.31£42.62Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I was probably about six years old when I played my first roleplaying game, Bunnies and Burrows. I was obsessed with Watership Down, and all I really cared about was the fact that I could be a bunny and that I could wear the bunny ears from my Halloween costume when we played. I honestly remember very little about the rules, except that you could fight things with a special kind of karate called Bun Fu. (We had pet rabbits at the time, and I thought I knew an awful lot about how rabbits acted, so my Bun Fu was mostly me thumping my feet on the linoleum floor as hard as I could until our babysitter–our GM–couldn’t take it anymore and told me that sometimes bunnies fought very quietly so they didn’t give themselves away to their enemies.) We’re making an RPG for smart kids and their families called No Thank You, Evil! It’s based on a slimmed-down version of the rules system from Numenera and The Strange, and it’s designed to be fast, easy, and fun for kids as young as 5. So.... I'm doing a My Little Pony adventure. Starting w/ the 3 core stories and then branching off from there.

Adventure Book: This book features adventures designed for beginning players and Guides, up through more advanced players. Maps, artwork, and special creatures provide lots of fun for players of all experience and maturity levels. The same consideration for young readers is going into the design of this book as well.

A game that makes it simple for families to roleplay together. This meant creating rules that accommodate the youngest, newest players as well as older, more experienced players. To achieve this, there are different rule levels, each one geared toward a particular age group, from 5 on up to the point where the players are old enough and experienced enough to try running the game (probably around 10 or 11). So families can play together easily, even if the players cover a wide age range. Adventures are designed to be short but flexible, running anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. All you need to play is the rules, a character sheet, and a d6. The box comes with three adventures. I recommend a thorough read through of them before playing. Also, I recommend brushing up on your improv skills because younger players are going to throw all sorts of random ideas at you. My kids responded very favorably to the silliest voices I could muster and props as I was able (e.g., the first adventure includes magic candies as the way to call for an extraction, so everyone got a candy and had to save it until the end). I had to scan and print my own character sheets because my boys have already created multiple different characters. The rulebook includes a huge amount of information on locations and characters that exist in this world so that you can make your own adventures. In fact, my boys came up with their own story and conflict and I took it and added some twists so that they don't know how it ends. I am looking forward to running that adventure for them this weekend. If you have the time and the right mindset, this game can be absolutely amazing for young RPGers. I am a long time gamer and have been looking for an opportunity to get my young sons started. This game is exactly that. As they walked through the forest, they came upon a path which led to a small town. Outside the town they saw a big wanted poster. I was able to take the poster from a premade adventure and laid it right in front of them. Their eyes got big, their mouths dropped open a little bit, and, since Clara is learning to read, I made her sound out the word. “W…A…N…T…E…D? What’s it wanted for?” And I told her they should go into town to find out! So they did. No Thank You, Evil! is a tabletop game of creative make-believe, adventure, and storytelling. In No Thank You, Evil!, each player creates a character based on a couple of cool, descriptive, imagination-firing traits. The Guide (a special role often played by a parent or older sibling) presents a dilemma, and the players set off on an adventure of the imagination. Along the way they use their character’s special skills, companions, and equipment to overcome obstacles—perhaps fighting a slime monster, winning over the suspicious Mayor, or beating a rabbit at a race.

No Thank You Evil creates something unique and wonderful in making a D&D style tabletop RPG that is especially for younger kids and how they play. Winner! ENnie Award Gold: Best Family Game. A tabletop game of make-believe, adventure, and storytelling for creative kids and their families! Character, Companion, and Cypher Cards: The cards are oversized and full color. The character and companion cards fit right on the character sheet. One side is just an image, for players who want to write their own characters based on the art. The other side is a pre-generated character type (or companion), making it a snap to get started. Each player gets a Companion. In this instance, a floating tiny turtle. The game rules show you some core companion types and you can use them, or make your own, and use similar stats.

How Do I Get It?

Reading the blogs from parents over the past couple of years who’ve taken the time to tweak the games to make them a bit easier and more kid-themed has been inspiring and informative. Older kids are running games with their parents and for their siblings. And non-gaming parents, aunts, uncles, and even grandparents are jumping in. We’ve seen Disney princesses, weird Santas, saddle-wearing cat balloons, and all kinds of other super imaginative ideas arise from families gaming together: No Thank You, Evil! is a tabletop game of creative make-believe, adventure, and storytelling. In No Thank You, Evil!, you create a character based on a couple of cool, descriptive, imagination-firing traits. The Guide (a special role often played by a parent or older sibling) presents a dilemma, and the players set off on an adventure of the imagination. Along the way you use your character’s special skills, companions, and equipment to overcome obstacles. Maybe you’ll rescue a friend from Dragonsnot Falls, save the world’s biggest adventure park from an ancient curse, or fix Whizbang’s broken time machine before it’s too late! Whatever you choose, you’re sure to solve mysteries, gain friends, confront bad guys, and have a wild adventure! My two daughters, Clara and Olivia, gave me the big, pleading, eyes that only daughters can give and I told them we would play a short game of No Thank You, Evil! This is “the ENnie Award-Winning game of make-believe for creative kids and their families” made by Monte Cook Games. No Thank You, Evil! Is a tabletop game focused on adventure and imagination. In this game each player creates a character based on a selection of descriptions which are designed to get their imagination fired up. The players create simple sentences, the length of which is adjusted to match the age of the player. “I am a [verb] [noun] who [adjective]”. For younger players they are just a [noun] but as they grow and learn, the game grows with them. They gain a descriptor and then a special ability. When I play with my girls, we used just one blank. Play Tokens: The game comes with two additional types of tokens: No Thank You, Evil! tokens and a My Turn token. If the game gets too intense for a younger player, he can play his No Thank You, Evil! token, letting the Guide know it’s time for a break or a change of tone. The My Turn token gets passed around from player to player, prompting excited players to remember whose turn it is. Starting with character creation I have been approaching this game with the idea of the "profound power of YES". If my boys think of something they want to do "Yes, let me figure out how to make it work." It requires a little more effort on my part, but the rewards have been stunning. My 5 year old spent 15 minutes telling me about every piece of equipment, every detail of his guy that he literally just made up. He couldn't stop himself, and I was only too happy to let him keep developing his ideas.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment