276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Garin Jenkins: In the Eye of the Storm (Mainstream sport)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Among the handful of greatest players from any of the home countries not to have toured with the best of British and Irish rugby.

At 6ft and 15st, flanker Jones had made his international debut a year earlier and was immediately a stand-out player. Toby Flood found the gap between Wales’ front row contingent, misplaced in midfield, before slotting Chris Ashton in for his first. Imagine, if you can, how a 21-year-old rising star would have felt at the realisation he was about to enter such a big game far earlier than he would ever have expected.

Listen and subscribe to the MPOWER Podcast

I don't think they laid the pitch until a couple of days before the game, so the final training session before was a bit makeshift," said Jenkins. Fifteen former Wales captains and coach Warren Gatland will attempt to reach the roof of Africa to raise money for lung cancer research. As a Welshman, it was a privilege to sit alongside Phil Bennett, who set the world alight for Wales at outside-half. Prof Bailey added: “Every single one will have some symptoms of AMS – everyone will feel slightly lethargic, dizzy, have a headache and won’t sleep well the night before. The degree to which people suffer the symptoms will be different. On the grounds of one of the most famous rugby stadiums in the Welsh Valleys, there lies a house. It is an ordinary house that has an extraordinary story to tell.

If the concept of Wales playing at home against England in London still seemed strange, then Wembley's temporary tenants did everything in their power to ensure this was as close to a Cardiff matchday experience as one could hope for. He wrote at the time: “It’s every rugby player’s worst nightmare. Even the thought of a serious injury – let alone possible paralysis – is conveniently suppressed to the depths of the subconscious.

Men of Rugby and faith

It marked the end of the playing career of Gwyn Jones, who was Wales captain at the time. He damaged his spinal cord after receiving a heavy blow playing for Cardiff against Swansea.

We asked him if he'd be willing to speak about the incident for this piece, but he told us he still did not wish to talk about it. Thankfully, spinal cord injuries remain extremely rare in rugby union, but it brought home in a devastating fashion an unavoidable truth about the game I love. At the highest level rugby union has become a dangerous sport.” To sponsor Madeleine visit www.justgiving.com/madeleine-brindley and you can keep up to date with news about the climb and training at http://blogs.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyleIf someone had told me at the age of 13 I would meet the Queen and Princess Diana, as I did when I played rugby, I would not have believed them.” Dr Jason Lester, a consultant oncologist at Velindre Hospital, said: “With this sort of money we can make a real difference – the aim has to be a cure, to try to find a solution to this disease. Bathed in glorious springtime sunshine, Jones was among a raft of pre-match performers, including Welsh folk hero Max Boyce, who had updated his 1970s favourite 'Hymns and Arias' for the occasion. Prior to the match, Wales coach Graham Henry warned his players "they will throw the kitchen sink at us". As it turned out, the washing machine and fridge freezer was part of the deal too.

They were so dirty. There was all sorts going on. There was biting, there was gouging, it was terrible some of the stuff they were doing. But that’s what it was like in those days. That was a crazy series, but we won it.” Jones was emulating his great uncle Ivor – also a flanker and captain of Wales as well as a Lion who was revered in New Zealand – when he was appointed to lead his country. But the image jumping out of The Mail on Sunday would not have encouraged too many parents to give a thumbs-up to little Johnny or little Jenny taking part in the oval-ball game any time soon.

e:MPOWERED - Read the latest email

After beating France in Paris for the first time since 1975 and defeating England at Wembley, the successful Five Nations finale was followed by a 2-0 series win in Argentina.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment