276°
Posted 20 hours ago

If You Could See the Sun

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

If you enjoy the academic-rivals-to-oh-friends-maybe-more-wait-what kind of trope…. you will ADORE this, I swear. I absolutely fell for the way the relationship was set up, right from the start. The feelings develop slowly, the characters are absolutely endearing and so real with their feelings, sometimes messy, sometimes not-really-getting-it. It’s slow-burned and just, EXCELLENT, every single one of their interactions was gold. I loved it. Alice realizes there’s an upside to her strange new power—unparalleled access to the secrets of China’s most rich and influential teens. Soon, Alice has a new plan: offer her invisibility services to find out what her classmates want to know—for a price. Utterly unique, thought-provoking, and wonderfully written, If You Could See the Sun was a thrilling ride that hooked me from start to finish. Ann Liang is a fantastic new voice in YA!' The way this jumped my to-read list because of lila's review. (Seriously, if you're torn on whether or not to buy this book still, read hers for comparison; she outlines all the reasons why this book is good.)

The only thing that kind of was a minus for me is that it was so short and how abruptly it ended… I wish we could’ve seen more of Henry and Alice together at the end and maybe even an epilogue. Liang paints a clear picture of what it’s like to struggle for certain advantages that are seemingly handed to others, skillfully exploring themes of classism and privilege via a sympathetic protagonist who feels—sometimes literally—invisible."— Publishers WeeklyI appreciated that the setting was a private school in Beijing rather than the American and British schools we see in many YA romances and mysteries. This allowed for a different and nuanced look at East Asian identity and socioeconomic status in China, especially highlighting the differences between students born and raised in East Asia or abroad. All I have to say is, if your man can’t SENSE YOUR PRESENCE when you’re literally INVISIBLE because of how well he knows you, you need a better man. Henry Li supremacy. I adore them??? They were so ugh, I'm actually in love. One of my roman empires because they were so perfect. Their banter was the best part in the book for sure, I just love them so muchh. They're both so Jurdan coded, I can't "I cane barely even breathe straight" Jude 😍??? They were so cute I love them. They made me giggle so hard when I needed to, I love it and them 🫶🏼. I do wish that the rivalry was played a little differently and more, but I still lovelovelove them 😩. This is the latest move for Bound Entertainment, which was founded by veteran entertainment executive and producer Samuel Ha ( Okja, Time to Hunt) and specializes in television, film and digital media and is dedicated to developing and producing a slate of diverse stories that can reach global audiences for all platforms with a focus on talent, resources and stories from and about the Asian diaspora. And everything about this moment is so lovely and so fragile in its loveliness that I’m almost afraid to hold it. Afraid that the spell will break.❞

And everything about this moment is so lovely and so fragile in its loveliness that I’m almost afraid to hold it. Afraid that the spell will break.” If you’re looking for a sweet academic rivals romance with a hint of magical realism, you should read If You Could See the Sun! It’s an entirely unique story and a welcome debut from an author I hope to read more from soon.

eBook Details

Ultimately though, it's a YA novel that doesn't take itself too seriously — I didn't mind how direct its message about class commentary was, since it's geared towards younger readers. I loved seeing the cultural elements interwoven into the book, and the cover features a stunning graphic. I just wished there was more thought put into the execution of a novel with an interesting initial concept. Alice realises there's an upside to her strange new power -- unparalleled access to the secrets of China's most rich and influential teens. Soon, Alice has a new plan: offer her invisibility services to find out what her classmates want to know -- for a price. Alice thinks her secret power helps her get enough money to pay her tuition and help out her family’s financial problems. And her partner in crime Henry seems like not as annoying as she’s imagined. But knowledge is power and also too much uncontrollable power may ruin people’s lives. Alice is about to experience it from the first hand! Alice Sun has always felt invisible at her elite Beijing international boarding school, where she’s the only scholarship student in a sea of über-wealthy classmates. But she has a plan: be top of the class, attend a prestigious university, secure a killer job, and finally lift her family out of poverty.

THIS is what I’m talking about when I say I love academic rivals to lovers. This book is literally the definition of this trope and I’m so freaking in love with it, you guys have NO IDEA!!! Liang will serve as an executive producer on the project. Today, she said, ”I truly couldn’t be more thrilled to be working with Bound Entertainment on this adaptation, and it’s both a dream and an honor to get to be involved in the process. I’m so excited for everything to come.” You all know I love a good contemporary with that little something extra. I’m not sure how to explain this in the best of ways, but… If You Could See the Sun had it. Alice’s invisibility added that little something exciting, unpredictable, a little bit of fantasy I enjoyed and that was perfectly working with this particular story.seriously tho, Alice is me. i am her. i could see myself in her so much, by the way she strove to gain academic excellence, the way she was so brave and determined and strong and would do anything to just please people, not figuring out what she wanted. but there was also so much else i liked about this book: the commentary on social class and money, and how everyone else at airington was wealthy beyond belief while alice was compromising her studies and her physical and mental health just to afford a spot there; the reminders that alice is still just a kid and has so much going for her and that she shouldn’t be afraid to dream and go after what she wants; alice’s coming to terms with the gravitas of her actions and taking responsibility for what she did, and accepting the consequences even though we know she did it out of sheer desperation and, in good conscience, would never have done such a thing. sometimes the unfairness of the world leaves us with no good choices, and in our haste to make the right one, we choose unwisely. I was initially quite interested in the concept of If You Could See the Sun, but the execution of its most compelling concepts — academic rivals to lovers, an interrogation of elite Beijing educational institutions, the supernatural element of invisibility — left me feeling incredibly jaded, leading to a rather half-hearted finish of the book. Alice Sun has always felt invisible at her elite Beijing international boarding school, where she’s the only scholarship student among China’s most rich and influential teens. But then she starts uncontrollably turning invisible–actually invisible. When her parents drop the news that they can no longer afford her tuition, even with the scholarship, Alice hatches a plan to monetize her strange new power–she’ll discover the scandalous secrets her classmates want to know, for a price. But as the tasks escalate from petty scandals to actual crimes, Alice must decide if it’s worth losing her conscience–or even her life. In this genre-bending YA debut, a Chinese American girl monetizes her strange new invisibility powers by discovering and selling her wealthy classmates’ most scandalous secrets. If You Could See the Sun by Ann Liang – eBook Details

yes, is the obvious answer. i do hate you. i hate everything about you. i hate you so much that whenever i’m around you, i can barely think straight. i can barely even breathe.” sure you do alice 😭😭Then her parents drop a bomb -- they can no longer afford her tuition, even with the scholarship. But that's the least of Alice's problems, because she has started uncontrollably turning invisible. As in completely, physically invisible. Alice realises there’s an upside to her strange new power ― unparalleled access to the secrets of China’s most rich and influential teens. Soon, Alice has a new plan: offer her invisibility services to find out what her classmates want to know ― for a price.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment