276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Empire: 'Wonderful. A lifelong love letter to the theatre' Reverend Richard Coles

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I can’t tell you how excited I was to hear Michael Ball had written a book! I’ve been such a huge fan for so many years. I was hoping for a book full of his trademark warmth and wit, and a bit of glamour and romance, and that is exactly what Michael has delivered. I thought the plot was excellent. It has pace and dynamism with some unforeseen surprises along the way that are completely enthralling. I’m desperately hoping for more narratives involving some of the key players in future books because they have taken on a vivid reality in my mind through reading The Empire. Indeed, The Empire is such an inspired title. It’s a physical theatre, but so much more, with criminal empires, family empires and enough historical reference to engender an unsettled time of Empire for the country when social norms were being challenged and tested. I thoroughly enjoyed the exploration of identity, of our place in society, of team work and of honour that pervade what is a smashing narrative and which add depth and interest. Set in the early 1920s, The Empire tells the story of a fictional theatre of the same name in the north of England. Known as ‘the jewel of the north’, it’s a palace of dreams which holds a very special place in the nation’s heart. But it’s not all bright lights and encores and the actors are not the only ones donning a disguise. With whispers of a cover-up, a scandal and sibling rivalry, tensions rise along with the curtain. For there is treachery at the heart of The Empire Theatre and a dark secret waiting in the wings . . . The Empire is described as: "Set in the early 1920s, The Empire tells the story of a fictional theatre of the same name in the north of England. Known as ‘the jewel of the north', it's a palace of dreams which holds a very special place in the nation's heart. But it's not all bright lights and encores and the actors are not the only ones donning a disguise…For there is treachery at the heart of The Empire Theatre and a dark secret waiting in the wings . . ." When I heard that the talented star of musical theatre Michael Ball, was writing a novel as seems to be the thing to do with so many celebrities, I was of course curious. With his lifetime of experience in this world he has sensibly chosen to use his vast knowledge of the theatre to produce this novel.

A warmly told tale of theatre life, from the owners, behind the scenes crews, the stars of the stage and all the way to the delicious bad guy determined to bring down the curtain for good.Michael’s debut novel, The Empire, was published in Autumn 2022, and his first-ever autobiography, Different Aspects, is out in October this year. While the criminal elements held no surprises it was still enjoyable to see the threads all unraveling. The added touch of romance was delightfully charming and definitely added to the story. I am thrilled to be working with the team at Zaffre and we are having so much fun. These novels are going to be a love letter to all the theatres and performers I've worked in and with around the world." A press statement describes the book as “part exploration of the pitfalls and pratfalls of modern theatre and part exploration of his life, his career and his relationships”, and describes the book as the story of a life lived on the stage.

I loved the feel of this book. It was a joy to listen to and was so effortless to slip into. It had some great characters, the plot was steady and entertaining and the whole thing just felt easy. Here he meets Grace, who he feels an immediate attraction to. But there's no time for that! Grace is extremely busy, working alongside a select 'cast' trying to keep open the theatre that they love. The Empire is under threat from a rival theatre owner and they are determined that he will not get his hands on it. A cast of strong women, proper gentlemen, a few baddies and a terrier called Ollie who watches the stage door, keeping anyone out he doesn’t like.OK, so the writing isn't what I'd describe as the most accomplished, the story is something of a slow burner and there are a lot of characters {referenced to at the front of the book} introduced in a short space of time which can be problematic if you aren't on the ball {no pun intended} as whilst they may initially appear insignificant, some have a larger part to play overall, however ... The Empire has all the qualities of a great piece of theatre, an interesting plot, characters that the audience (reader) can really relate to, romance, comedy and a suitably dramatic ending. In 2007 Michael made his BBC Proms debut with An Evening with Michael Ball at the Royal Albert Hall, which marked the first time a musical theatre star had been given a solo concert at the Proms. In 2016 he released Together with friend and singer Alfie Boe, with the album becoming the UK’s best-selling album of 2016; and in 2020 they released their first festive album, Together at Christmas. This isn’t just about a theatre show, there is so much more to the story – it’s about people, families, greed and money and sometimes touches on the darker side of life and includes strands of jealousy and sabotage, gangsters and secrets – and this is all off stage. There is plenty of drama the entire way through, with even some of the supporting characters having their time under the spotlight. Michael Ball ( Les Miserables, Sweeney Todd) is about to star in a revival of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musical Aspects of Love, at the Lyric Theatre in London, playing the part of George. He is joined in the company by Jamie Bogyo ( Moulin Rouge! The Musical) as Alex, Laura Pitt-Pulford ( Sunset Boulevard, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Nell Gwynn) as Rose, Anna Unwin as Jenny and the internationally renowned soprano, Danielle de Niese ( Man of La Mancha) as Giulietta.

You want entertainment, some theatrical pizazz and a sparkle of historical fiction? Look no further. And narrated by the author too, Michael Ball who is a legend in the theatre world, added that extra layer of greatness. He has the voices and personalities spot on. We are carried along with all the ‘cast’, getting to know them and enjoying the warm and cozy feeling of belonging. Just when everything appears to be going nicely, a disaster hits The Empire and I galloped to the end of the book with my heart in my mouth! Although I found this to be a well written and informative novel about the world of theatre it sadly left me feeling unmoved, failing to hold my interest and I will not be reading the sequel. Don’t let me put you off reading this though, as if you are a fan of Michael Ball and the world of theatre, it will probably appeal to you. Sarah Bauer, editorial director of Zaffre and Kate Parkin, managing director of Adult Trade Publishing, acquired world all language rights in a two-book deal from Gordon Wise and Alastair Lindsey-Renton at Curtis Brown. She said: “Whether on the stage, radio or TV Michael always entertains, moves and delights his audience, and I know the same will be true of his books. To be swept away to another world by such a brilliant and instinctive storyteller as Michael is the escape I think we’re all craving.” First of all, I liked the way this book was structured. The various sections are named as if they were parts of a play from the overture and beginners call, through the various acts to the interval, finale and the curtain calls.Michael’s first book was a novel – The Empire, and a second, follow-up novel is promised, but instead Ball’s next book will be his first autobiography.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment