276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Good Cop Bad Cop: Hero or criminal mastermind? A gripping new thriller from the Sunday Times bestseller

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Look, I came here voluntarily to talk to you about the case. But I’m not prepared to be accused of being a liar.’ I put down my drink, thinking that agreeing to talk to this old man was always a bad idea. I don’t need the money and I certainly don’t need the grief. ‘Perhaps it’s best if I just leave.’

Good Cop Bad Cop by Simon Kernick - Fantastic Fiction Good Cop Bad Cop by Simon Kernick - Fantastic Fiction

A few days prior, an anonymous client hired him to facilitate for the escape of alleged serial killer, Andrew Kent, while he’s on transit between prisons. He is a good guy with a great reputation, a hero. He is also self-assured and determined to outwit the man who has invited him into his home under false pretences. The truth will out. Or will it be a version of the truth? I can’t say I got close to any of the characters but I did cheered up on both Cleverly and Sketty to show up and tell the truth of what happened 14 years ago and if there’s any relation with the present investigation.

Upon graduation, he worked as a sales person for MMT Computing (1992) and IT and Business Consultancy, Metaskil (1998) until he secured a publisher for his first novel, The Business of Dying (2002). While living in the Philippines under a new identity, Dennis Milne learns about the brutal killing of his best friend and colleague, Malik.

Simon Kernick Books in Order (Complete Series List) Simon Kernick Books in Order (Complete Series List)

Where all stories start, Mr Sketty. At the beginning. However,’ he adds, his eyes glinting brightly and malevolently in the room’s dim light as he leans forward in the wheelchair, ‘I want the truth, not your embellished version of events.’ But his time round, Milne gets deceived and ends up killing three innocent people—two of whom are customs officers. Like I say it started very strongly and was instantly into the novel. Good plot and an exciting finale made this a good read. But to those who know him well like detective Ray Mason, Alastair is a ruthless serial killer who targets young women. A good read made much more satisfying with the last chapters as they really did hurtle towards the explosive ending

When Max Iversson is offered five grand for work that will only take a matter of hours, the ex-mercenary accepts without giving it much thought. Henry Forbes, her former boyfriend who reported her disappearance at the time, is now a university lecturer. Life seems perfect for John Meron. Blissfully married with two children, he has always managed to stay away from trouble.

Good Cop Bad Cop by Simon Kernick | Waterstones Good Cop Bad Cop by Simon Kernick | Waterstones

An experienced hired assassin is on the verge of finding someone who he has evaded him for the longest timer.Ex-DC Chris Sketty is meeting Dr Ralph Teller who whilst describing as a hero following the terrible events at Villa Amalfi, he is also regarding him with malevolence. However, the reason for the meeting predates this by fifteen years when Chris is sent undercover by SO15 (Counter Terrorism) to try to get information on a shadowy faceless figure known as Kalian Roman. He’s placed in DI Devon Andrews Gang Intelligence Unit, his target is DS Barry Cleaver - does he have a connection to Roman? Only time will tell. Chris tells most of his story with illuminating interjections by Teller, all we have to do is work out, is Chris a good cop or a bad cop?? We see events unfold from Sketty’s point of view but we can’t be quite sure if he is telling it like it really is. The book moves on at great pace and When Sketty is part of an undercover mission that doesn’t turn out the way it’s planned we are left wondering does Sketty know more about what happened than he is letting on and is he really the hero of the hour. Years later when people from his past and a journalist try to uncover what actually happened Sketty finds himself in danger and so do those around him. DI John Gallan and DS Tina Boyd are looking into the murder of their informer, Slim Robbie O'Brien.

Good Cop Bad Cop by Simon Kernick | Crime Fiction Lover

How the book is mostly narrated by the main character Chris Sketty reminded me of a 1940'2 film noir. Sketty isa brilliantly realised character, inhabiting the grey world between good and bad, but just how flawed, just how guilty is he? The story twists and turns, and every time we think we’ve nailed Sketty’s character we have to think again as the layers of the story peel away. The guessing game is incredibly tense; Sketty’s story is deeply intriguing and over all this is an exhilarating read. The story of a cop working cases and leading a dual life, spying on one of his colleagues is credibly written and involving. Sketty is well realised as an ordinary man battered by life and sinking into bad ways. It’s intriguing to wonder how we would act under the same pressure, isolated and alone. And yet as events lead up to the Villa Amalfi siege we are given more than one interpretation of events and so how compromised Sketty is remains a mystery. Now in Manila, his target is a youthful woman who has made some terrible decisions, and ruthless foes. Was Chris Sketty good or bad? We can only judge his version of the story which was, under duress, vividly told to Doctor Ralph Teller. I was totally immersed in this book - intriguing, gritty and a rollercoaster of a read which was gripping and had me changing my mind throughout the narrative about whether this complex, flawed and unreliable man was a hero or a heartless calculating villain. To top it all the author then treats us to an absolutely brilliant ending which totally blindsided me.The characters were all extremely shallow and predictable, almost as if they were based entirely on stereotypes. The decisions made by the characters felt as if they were made only to move forward with the plot and prolong the book. It started strong, and I had high hopes, but once it started to fizzle out, it didn't stop fizzling out. Not one character was likeable (other than Trevor, the cat), and I know that doesn't always matter, but it felt like I was supposed to be sorry for Sketty, and I just felt nothing but annoyance towards him. Sketty's constant justification of his brutality and violence made it extremely difficult to feel anything positive towards him. So, over one night, Sketty will share his brutal tale of betrayal, ruthlessness and corruption, finishing with a revelation so terrifying and unexpected that it will change everything. Is Sketty a brave hero, crippled in the line of duty, or the most ruthless mass murderer the country has ever seen? This is an great thriller that keeps you on guessing all the way to the end, and even then you are not sure if you really believe that whether Sketty is innocent or guilty, good cop or bad cop. He certainly crossed a few blurred lines. What is the truth? The transitions between past and present were so smoothly done that I got so entrained and loved this book so much. I wanted to know the truth as well and more so after each chapter shows a new layer of lies and mischief, hidden secrets that come out when some people thought they were really deep buried and I couldn’t stop reading honestly. Emerging with his lawyer, Henry reveals to DI Ray Mason that he knows that happened to Kitty, and the person who murdered her.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment